Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Wrecks of Dead Man's Curve

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tonyimpala, Aug 25, 2013.

1. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

Pretty cool pictures..

2. Fenders

Fenders

Somewhere under the brush may be a '32 three-window....

3. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

I shoulda died a few times on that drive.

4. I wonder if there were more at one time, because surely with the racing going on there, there were more desirable wrecks left down there. I imagine some pickers had their way with some of the hot rods and musclecars that ended up in that gulch.

5. Rob68

Rob68

That was cool, thanks.

6. Swifster

Swifster

I wonder if the VW Thing ended up down there racing or doing 35...

7. acmechris

acmechris

Help me out, I thought that "Dead Mans Curve" was in Pasadena. Kinda like a cloverleaf turn at the end of a cruze blvd. that many took at speed. Crippled one of the Jan & Dean duo. Yeah, in his Corvette. Ironic, because of their hit single "Dead Mans Curve". "You won't come back from dead mans curve". I only bring this up because when I was on it, I was told so. My buddy from Hollywood full of shit?

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=730 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=infoIconAlign vAlign=top rowSpan=2 width=60 align=left></TD><TD id=mainTitleAlign vAlign=middle align=left>The webpage cannot be found

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

9. Swifster

Swifster

Still works for me...

10. I could be wrong but I think your friend might only be semi-full of shit. It sounds like he is confusing several things. Almost every town had a "dead man's curve" so there are certainly more than one. I think your friend might also be confusing a couple of Jan and Dean songs like "Little Old Lady From Pasadena" and "Dead Man's Curve".

Jan Berry's accident was on Whittier Blvd, I believe. He slammed into the back of a parked truck.

Of course, I could be the one full of shit, so correct me if I'm wrong.

11. Dennis D

Dennis D

I think it was a truck hauling produce, hench the "Eat a Peach" album. Dennis D

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's an Allman Brothers album and NOT the reason for the name of the album. "The title came from a comment Allman made to a reporter when asked what he was contributing to the peace movement. His reply was &#8220;there ain&#8217;t no revolution, it&#8217;s evolution. But every time I&#8217;m in Georgia I eat a peach for peace.&#8221;

Duane Allman was killed when he drove his Harley-Davidson into a truck.

On, April 12, 1966, Berry received severe head injuries in an automobile accident on Whittier Drive, just a short distance from Dead Man's Curve in Beverly Hills, California, two years after the song had become a hit. He was on his way to a business meeting when he crashed his Corvette into a parked truck on Whittier Drive, near the intersection of Sunset Boulevard, in Beverly Hills. He also had separated from his girlfriend of seven years, singer-artist Jill Gibson, later a member of The Mamas & the Papas for a short time, who also had co-written several songs with him. Berry was in a coma for nearly two months; he awoke on the morning of June 16, 1966.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  13. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

This is correct. Here's a photo of Jan's Vette and a link showing the accident site and nearby Deadman's curve which is on Sunset. By the way, I remember reading a article in Westway magazine back in the 70s about street racing on Mulholland Dr. The king of the road at the time of the article drove a Porsche but the article had a interesting part about this guy named Charlie who raced a Vette Stingray in the 60s and was never beaten. There was a movie made, based on the article, with Dennis Hopper in the part of Charlie. I think the movie was called King of the mountain. Anyways, here's the photo and the link.
    http://wikimapia.org/3752238/Jan-Berry-Accident-site

Attached Files:

14. Dennis D

Dennis D

You are correct and I am wrong. Senior moment.....Dennis D

15. 28chevyguy

28chevyguy
    from ny

really cool photos, amazing half that stuff isnt scoured completely.:D

16. My understanding is "Dead Man's Curve" is the term for a situation where a road makes a tight 180' turn, usually done because a hillside or mountainside is too steep to go straight up and the road has to angle back and forth across the side.

For instance, you'll find one on I believe Route 2 going east out of North Adams, Massachusetts, and signed as such. I drove around it a couple times about 15 years ago.

Terrible pictures and captioning, really. The same four cars in the photos and the one clearly burned, they have it labeled as nature eating it away. But then I'm sure the time to look for wrecks up there is in the winter months, assuming any of that vegetation ever dies back at all. Given it's LA it may not make a difference.

17. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Holy crap the environment will never be the same !

18. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

If you drive south about 1/3 of the way down the Baja Mexico peninsula you leave civilization behind and get to a boulder and rock strewn highway that has blind off camper curves, serious drop offs and no guard rails or warning signs. The area is littered with hundreds of old very wrecked cars that rolled into the bottoms of canyons after exiting the road. They are there because they were too far for the wrecker cable to reach or deemed as junk. They are picked clean for usable parts but the frames are still there for the taking if you could get them up to the road.

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Been that way for years. I was just remembering how when my parents drove down to Ensenada, my Dad would often stop off the toll road and I could see the vast ocean, the deep cliffs and all the cars that were down there and this was in the 60s and 70s.

20. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

Mel Blanc wrecked his sports car and got injured badly at Dead Mans Curve...

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The album part was easy because I have it. I just Googled the rest.

22. Model T1

Model T1

Where I'm from near Peoria, Illinois is a DEAD MAN'S CURVE. Down here in the NW Boonies of Florida is another one. There are DEAD MAN'S CURVES everywhere because drunken assholes don't know how to drive. Sadly some who have died are not men. They are little kids and old ladies.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've never heard of Dead Kidolady Curve...

24. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Spent much of my early 20's on that road. Was fun to rape it there when I was invincible!!

25. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Theres a post about a 1940 Ford found off that road somewhere on the HAMB. I remember reading years ago.

26. I remember this as well. There was also an old navy ship that was on the rocks along the cliffs. On the inland road to Ensenada there were also canyons in the mountains with lots of wrecks in the bottom.

The road to San Felipe also had a "dead man's curve". The road was perfectly straight for miles and miles and then suddenly, in the middle of nowhere there was a curve. Lots of people died in that spot. I remember seeing accidents there as a kid. No ambulances, no hospitals. You were just screwed.

27. 296ardun

296ardun

I grew up in Pasadena, no dead man's curve there...but I was wrong too, thought it was on a road overlooking the beach, Malibu or Pacific Palisades...

There are stories about cars left in canyons off the Angeles Crest Highway also, lots of cars went off the sharp curves there...

28. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I grew up in Arcadia near the entrance to Big Santa Anita Canyon. There are lot's of cars up there that went over. I found a few when I was in High School. I even found a 911 Porsche.

There is a Dead Man's Curve in Malibu, where several cars went off into the ocean over the years,

29. "Th-th-th-that's all folks!"

Hey, I like your user name and the concept itself.