Register now to get rid of these ads!

quadrajet flooding out

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southern thunder, Aug 25, 2013.

1. southern thunder

southern thunder

I rebuilt a quadrajet the other day. put the standard rebuild kit in it. set the float to specs. etc. put it on the engine, and within a minute or two it was running like the choke was closed, and gas pooling on the top of the carb. ( the choke was not closed) I pulled it off, and reset the float down from specs. just a bit. put it back on fired it up, ran great, then it quit like it was out of gas, pumped the gas pedal, and it fired back up, then quit again like before. I must have set the float to low. took it apart, readjusted the float just a bit higher. flooding out again, I have rebuilt several quadrajets in the past, but never had one flood out like this. Any Ideas ?? thanks.

2. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

The needle and seat are binding, there is debri in the carb fuel intake line which hung in the seat, or you thought you set the float right but you didn't.... 1 of the three.... Its very simple. Pull the top off, look at it objectively.....

3. snapper

snapper
    from PNW

For starters, did you replace the float? These foam floats are famous for absorbing fuel & being heavy, always install a new one and make sure the inlet seat needle hairpin is not clipped into the float arm slot, but outside around the contacting tab. Otherwise the needle and seat can bind causing it to stick & flood.

Do a search for quadrajet rebuilds here on the HAMB for lots of previous help.

NOT LIKE THIS NEEDLE & PIN TO FLOAT ARM INSTALL PIC, but like in diagram is correct

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  4. old jetstar

old jetstar
    from oswego,KS

You might be able to take a plastic hammer and tap the carb on the top front a few times....Sometimes this will dislodge whatever's stuck in the needle valve and it'll quit flooding...Seems like this happens quite a bit on a fresh carb build....If it keeps flooding,you may have got a junk needle valve in your kit....

5. Qjets are the most sensitive to dirt of all the carbs. Clean out the lines & make sure you use a good inline filter.

6. Your problem will most likely be in the needle seat function.
    This includes the float and the pins and the needle attachment.

I had one do exactly as yours. Out of the blue and after working flawlessly.
    The float got hung up on the side of the bowl. It seams to have expanded just enough.
    This simple explanation came after a lot of investigation and head scratching.