Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Giant speedster project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yonahrr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. foiled again .. just like a cartoon

2. JIMSPSYCLESHOP

JIMSPSYCLESHOP

Jerry,
    I love that split rivet spreader. Man if it's one thing I have duplicates of it's old pliers. My old man must have had two dozen old American made 'pre- Beach Boys era' brands from companies that have long since gone away.

SPLIT RIVETS: Just as an FYI for others, as it looks like you found what you need in your spares; Langs, Snyders & Mac's (Model T & A Ford vendors) all carry those thin, flat head, brass split-rivets specifically for hood and radiator lace.

Now I'm going to grind up one of those old rusty pliers of Dads and make one of your split rivet spreader thingies! Here's something else you can do with old vise grips:
    WIRE EDGE CRIMPER - Just weld a steel blocks to the jaws, grind to size, drill a hole to the appropriate size, split the block up the middle and start squeezing till your fingers go numb. If your going to crimp heavier than 20 gauge however, use larger grips than I did. Also guys, use old domestic ones, those HF CHI-COM jobs are made of some funky metal that may not hold a weld for long.
    Cheers! Jimmy

Attached Files:

3. Ha! You can take off the tin foil hat! :D Actually I was trying to kind of say the opposite. When you got that GE camera I was wondering what you might be getting yourself into. I've never had a chance to use one and some of the cheaper off-brand cameras can be, ummm... let's say "challenging". For what you're shooting and where you're shooting the pics are better than what I would have imagined. More light is always better but I have trouble getting hand held shots at 1/30 of a second to come out this good sometimes. :eek:

4. yonahrr

yonahrr

The GE camera looks exactly like a Fuji. I think GE just buys a cheaper version and slaps on their name plate. I hate the no external power supply feature. I just assumed it had one when I bought it. But Ohhh Nooooo!! I've started bracing the camera against something when I take a picture. Maybe it'll help.

Jerry

5. yonahrr

yonahrr

"You can't start a fire without a spark" Bruce Springsteen--Dancing in the Dark

The old fiber spark plug wire tube was just a little too beat up and broken for me to use. Plus I've got a thing for brass--even if I do hate to polish it. I bought a couple of drain pipes from a salvage store a few years ago and they turned out to be the perfect diameter. I trimmed them up on the lathe (not shown). I cleverly joined them together under one of the stands. Notice also how I (cleverly) drilled (not shown) two holes and drove in two pins (also not shown) so the tubes would: A-not fall out of the stand, and B-not twist from their desired position. Notice too how I would be a better writer if I knew the correct way to punctuate the previous sentence. I still need to elongate the wire holes and make up some plugs for the ends of the tubes. Hopefully new wires will be good enough that I won't need any insulation on the inside of the brass tube. Notice lastly how my photos have improved since ClayMart's critique.

Jerry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  6. Please, please... I really can't take any of the credit for that. :eek:

But I think I do detect some better lighting. :D

7. can the brass be lined with pvc pipe?

grommets ?????

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  8. LaSalle Gearbox

LaSalle Gearbox
    from ohio

When this saga began, I figured it would be just another way to butcher up an old fire truck. Well, it is, but in a good way. You have an eye for line, curve and proportion that, along with craftsmanship and persistence is making a classic. The commentary is great too.

However, picture 2 in your most recent post shows a single-edged razor blade apparently having been used to sever a piece of brass tube. Wouldn't this whole project whistle along if the right tool was brought to bear?

9. yonahrr

yonahrr

The secret is out!

Keen eye LaSalle gearbox. I suppose before the speedster is finished I'll have to reveal the secret of cutting brass with a razor blade. It was passed on to me by an old Swedish machinist on his deathbed so I really should wait until I'm on my deathbed before revealing it to you. I can only say now that it's similar to scoring a glass tube then snapping it.

Not much done today except a little wood turning on the metal lathe. Some call that an abomination. No matter I cut wood on the milling machine too. I made a little plug for the end of the spark plug wire tube. Painted it black. I also elongated the wire holes. That was it. Soldering tomorrow.

Jerry

Attached Files:

10. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Top-secret Kung Fu brass cutting techniques, huh? I was cutting brass tubing with an Exacto knive when soldering together slot car frames way before that Swedish machinist of yours was born. :)

11. yonahrr

yonahrr

Insurance.

Hagerty called me. They found out about the speedster and want to insure it for 50K. Offered a good price too. I just have to find the money. And speaking of insurance, I got to thinking those two little pins on the spark plug wire tube (or SPWT as we professionals call it) aren't enough. I lay away wake in bed last night dreaming of crossing the Gobi Desert and having the SPWT come loose and killing the engine just as I passed Prince Borghese in his Itala. Today I soldered the tube to the hold down straps (or HDS) then I polished everything up. After that I made up the wires in the coil box and mounted it on the firewall. It has to be sanded and varnished but I know what's really on your mind. "What's Jerry going to do with all those funky holes on the front of the coil box?" Ha! That's my secret and you'll find out soon enough. One hint--it's going to really awesome!

Jerry

Attached Files:

12. LaSalle Gearbox

LaSalle Gearbox
    from ohio

Well, I reckon a cast brass plaque would suit. Something Duesenbergy like, "Certified tested to 125 MPH by Jen Abkins". Or maybe "Step aside all ye Scions". Or, "Turning is for chickens".

13. Pizza delivered late...this is the resut
    Hmmm coil those lead wires like an old phone cord..sumtin I lerned on old cicles
    Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Have you decided on green or purple for the under-hood lighting?

:)

15. yonahrr

yonahrr

Ooohh. I hadn't though about that! I was thinking about yellow ign. wires for the dist. and green wires for the mag. I wonder if those little blue neon bulbs will light if you touch one side to the plug wire and the other to ground? Or will it short out the spark? Or will it not light at all?

Jerry

16. boboznutz

boboznutz

17. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

That would be cool, brah! Maybe yellow split loom to match. (LOL)

18. yonahrr

yonahrr

Purdy! Post some more vids!

19. yonahrr

yonahrr

Loose ends.

Let's see. After I made the 6 holed plug for the distributor end of the SPWT and painted it I realized I needed 2 more holes in the tube. The tube is starting to look like some weird musical instrument which got me thinking about mounting an old trombone bell hooked to an aoogah horn on the fender. Mmmm. Then I took off the firewall and drilled a hole for the radiator stabilizer rod to go through. Sorry, no picture. With the coil box off I decided to give it a coat of stain and varnish. But in my haste I forgot the stain and just gave it the varnish. I suppose it'll be fine. Next I worked on the seat fastening down the back and bottom as well as adding a small piece of wood at the base of the back. What else? I threaded the ignition wires in the tube, pulled the plugs and cleaned them, then installed the wires ends under the knurled nuts. We want a good start don't we? I also bolted on the steering shaft support. I need to find a 5" X 6" X 3/8 thick piece of aluminum for a little plate to cover the heat air port on the intake manifold. Seems like there ought to be something around the shop. Maybe down here under the....

Jerry

Attached Files:

20. yonahrr

yonahrr

50 yard dash

Actually it's only about 34 inches. But I still have to fill it up with all kinds of cool stuff. First thing I had to do was locate the steering shaft hole. If you ever tried to locate a hole on a piece of wood you know it's kind of hard. Now factor in the angle. I figured that if I got it wrong I would just cover it with a brass plate. Hell, if I got it dead on I'll probably still cover it with a brass plate because I love brass plates. Anyway I measured about 6 times, 6 different ways. I measured the angle. I made up a jig in the drill press, then closed my eyes and pulled the handle. Surprise! I was off about 1/16 of an inch. Lucky! You can see the stuff I've collected for the dash: Speedo, Fuel, Temp, Volts, Light switches, Air pump, Dash light, Mag/Batttery switch, Clock (maybe too big) Nothing as cool as Gary Wales' dashes. I think I need some more stuff. A grab handle for sure. There will be a scoop out along the bottom on either side of the dash. I'm thinking I need to mount the gauges on a big brass rectangle in the middle of the wood. Then, if I come up with some cooler gauges, I can just make up a new brass rectangle. I'll post a picture of what I mean in the next panel. Feel free to submit your dash configurations.

Jerry

Jerry

Attached Files:

21. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I think that the silver exhaust manifold shape & "Seagrave Special" logo should go across the top of the dash. Yes, clock is too big and all the other gauges have white bezels. What about a vacuum gauge? Oil temp? Altimeter? Airspeed?

22. yonahrr

yonahrr

Something like this. I had a better pic but I can't find it.

Jerry

Attached Files:

23. yonahrr

yonahrr

I have a big brass vacuum gauge to go on the intake manifold. Altimeter would be good. Oil temp--I'll look. Visualise the padding bar that will go over the top of the dash, doors and behind seat. Brass trim on dash sides--possibly bottom.

24. MrModelT

MrModelT

So what if the clock is big.....its a big car! :)

I like that clock....will look great.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

If the clock is the only thing with a brass face it may look out of place though. If its put to the side, in front of the passenger maybe, it may be ok. But it looks very nautical and not so automotive to me. If there are other brass faced gauges in the dash I'd feel differently.

26. yonahrr

yonahrr

I checked some altimeters on ebay. Expensive!

27. hmmmmmm.hour meter,gieger counter,barometer,mousetrap style switches ,vintage 220 volt outlet.... glass sight tube, bubble levels, large woven grounding strap or end of ahunk of bare cable , couple early porcelan fuses, 1920's' radio dial .(the one inch square kind..
    gee sounds like you will need a second bank of monitering equipment

will you need grommets for your plug wires at each exit hole ?
    that old wire loom thingie did not conduct electricity

28. patman

patman

Definitely needs a compass...

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

I agree with Mr Model-T, the clock is great and a very important piece of equipment for time speed calculations. Definitely needs a compass, perhaps a nautical style brass mount off the floorboards and maybe some coiled copper tube. :D

30. And a gallons per minute and water pressure..
    After all, it is (was) a Seagrove..;)