Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 ford galaxie eng./trans swap ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by meengrinch, Aug 22, 2013.

1. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

I am wanting to r/r the engine and trans while still connected. I'd like to cut the top span of the radiator mounting section to make it easier.....and then welding it back together. Are there any problems in doing this? The car is a 1964 ford galaxie 500 with a 390.....A/T....thanks in advance

2. barstowpo

barstowpo

I have taken the engine and trans out of a 64 without cutting anything. If you don't have a tall enough hoist, the entire core support can be removed pretty easily.

3. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Barstowpo is dead on. Why ruin a perfectly good core support when you could remove 10 to 12 bolts and the whole front of the car will come off???

4. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Exactly how much easier could it make it? Easier than rewelding the core support? I doubt it.

5. old me

old me
    from Iowa

I've done many of them.
    They'll come right out without cutting anything.
    They go back in without cutting anything.

6. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Thanks for the replys........I think motor and tranny together will be a handful for me so I'm gonna pull the tranny first and then the engine ,that way I don't cut anything. Not sure i like fords way of doing stuff but it may be me. Thanks again....by the way frozenmerc....I removed about 24 plus bolts and it isn't even loose yet? Where it is a convertible would that make a difference?

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

LOL, you've removed the wrong bolts!

Brian

8. barstowpo

barstowpo

There is one large nut on the bottom of the frame, under the core support.

9. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Pull the hood, drain fluids, pull the rad., carb, 2 motor mounts, trans. mount, pull the wires then pull the motor and trans together. Should take 30 min. While your drinking a beer?

10. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Do it once, do it right. Don't cut anything.