Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why are the HAMB Drags so short??

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by benchseat4speed, Aug 19, 2013.

1. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Just talked to a friend of mine from CO who went, and he said racin' didn't start til 12:30-1 this year....Why?? Seems like every year it starts later, and ends earlier...Honest question, I'm not bitchin and moanin...

Well, maybe a lil bit...Kev

2. Blakmerk

Blakmerk
    from St.Joe MO

They called stock class at High noon. We got done earlier this year because nobody broke at the line, and there was only one oil-down on the big end. I was actually amazed , because we never make it to Del-Rio before dark. This year we were outta there at dusk. Del-Rio is a kickass mexican returant by the way.

3. Rusty

Rusty

Cause it's so much fun! And one round runs, makes for a fast race with no eliminations

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Because any more fun would likely be illegal

5. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Because everybody was in such a hurry to see Jimmy put down that 7.83 last run with his F.E.D.!

6. ryno

ryno

im pretty sure everyone had a chance at 4 runs for the day, and with the luck of only one clean up , it was constant action all day.

7. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Thanks to no incidents and Carls efficient crew, races ran exceptionally smooth. Thanks to whole Mo-Kan crew & Ryan. 4 passes was just right.

8. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

Its not just the races. For most people the hamb drags start Friday afternoon and end Sunday morning. Plenty of fun packed into a weekend.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We actually had more passes this year than last. We started a little later this year as we had more tech inspections to get through before we could start, but due to the fact that we didn't have a major oil down we were able to catch up. At the end of the day, if you hit every "time trial" and participate in eliminations should be able to get at a minimum 4 passes... Most got 5. To me, that's plenty!

10. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I thought they were all the same length....1/4 mile.

11. jimmy1931

jimmy1931

Love it!:cool:

12. heapofbirds

heapofbirds
    from Austin TX

My crew and I had a great time again this year. Kudos to all who made the HAMB Drags possible. Is there any possibility that the format could support true elimination rounds (like the Kontinentals' Day of the Drags) in the future? Time is obviously a constraint, so could one round of time trials be sacrificed?

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, I'd actually really like to do that. I'll talk to Carl about it.

14. heapofbirds

heapofbirds
    from Austin TX

Whoa, that was easy!

15. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Disagreed. It can take 4 passes to get ignition timing dialed...Let alone to get jetting right for a 5000ft. drop in altitude....

Yeah thats fun, but I drove 700 miles to beat on my car. A lot. I can hear rockabilly bands anywhere. I can party anywhere. I'd gladly trade all that stuff for more pre-65 drag racing if I could.

Theres always that guy:rolleyes:

Guess I'm the odd man out here. 4 passes ain't enough. Really wish it was like every other dragstrip I've ever been to...Gates at 8am, racing starts at 9am and goes til the track curfew at 10pm.

I realize thats hell for the Mokan crew. What an exhausting F&#^#* day 9am-10pm in the Missouri sun. BUT, it seems dumb to start racing in the hottest part of the day (12 or 1) and call it before the sun goes down...

Night racing kicks ass. Its cool out, car goes quicker, and you don't get sunburned. Win, win, win. They raced til waay after dark at the 'Drags in '07, why not now?

Anyway...just my.02. Kev

16. primer31

primer31
    from Aurora, CO

Good points Kev. I'd like to have been able to make more passes. But it only took me 3 bfore I had issues. Fortunately they aren't serious and nothing a new bearing won't cure. I like the idea of an elimination round too.

17. Just to point out, MoKan runs test and tune every Friday night. If you want/need to dial in your car they run 4 hrs the night before, just a thought. Then you can fix it back up at Ryno's in the morning.

Jason

18. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Cuz no one really cared for that time frame as the racing didn't start till 4pm if I remember correctly.

You missed a very cool weekend, temp-wise. It was PERFECT.

19. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I like the format just the way it is. The event has a relaxed atmosphere. No worrying about trying to run consistent e.t.s so that you can dial in for a bracket race. No worrying about getting a good reaction time in order to be competitive. There's nothing better than hanging out with friends and making new friends, and making 4 runs down the dragstrip! Please don't change anything.

20. I thought he ran a 7.52 in eliminations.

21. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

Thats very true, but I heard it was frowned upon so as not to invade the local scene.

Who's no one?? If you don't wanna race after dark, LEAVE! The rest of us will turn our one taillight on. This is obviously a social event for you, and thats fine. Racers shouldn't be limited by the lack of interest in racing by the social crowd. I gaurantee I'm not the only one who wants more passes. Likewise, you aren't the only one who's there to party.

Btw they started runnin cars down the strip at 11-12 in '07, and raced til prolly 10pm...

Did I say make a bracket race out of it? No. I said I want more time to make passes. Big difference.

Can someone answer the why of my initial question? Money? Insurance? Resources? Thanks, Kevin

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I already answered your question man... It's not a marathon event and I only rent the track for so long. I shoot for everyone getting 4 to 6 passes, because that's my idea of a laid back day at the races.

That all being said, you know what I wanna do? A 24-hour Drag Race. The car with the most passes at the lowest average ET wins the race after 24 hours. You'd have to develop a fair formula to make it work, but can you imagine? That would be fucking awesome and miserable all at the same time...

Coalshaft, sko_ford and badvolvo like this.
  23. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

if it ever became "serious" it would loose the charm of the "hamb drags" this year i was busy messing with my car and didnt get to walk the pits or watch the races as much as normal..like always it was a blast..the hamb drags are a hell or high water event for me.

24. 2racer

2racer

The op could have at least started with thanking Ryan for the track time he got...

25. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

Hey Kev come to the "MELTDOWN DRAGS" next year, its a whole weekend of traditional drag racing. You can even drive your drag car into town every night to Sams drive in with open headers and slicks. The best of both worlds two days to race and socialize.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19&20 2014

26. 36--Coupe

36--Coupe
    from chitown

The Meltdown Drags are great ( I went this year ), but the HAMB Drags is a completely different animal. In my honest opinion, there is nothing like it in anywhere at all. It's this fun mix of laid back frenzy that can't be matched.

27. jody1833

jody1833

Everyone has an opinion and I respect that, but I know all of our guys and gals had a great time! We do appreciate the event and can't wait for the next one. Thanks Ryan! And thank you Mokan crew. When people are talking about the previous year and clean ups I am ducking in the seat;)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  28. Rodshop

Rodshop

This was my 10th year in a row of going to the HAMB Drags- each one a little different, but Ryan, each year you seem to make adjustments to keep it an organized great time. Some years we got more runs, a year or two it became a bit of a cluster F--- but you got it back on track and this year was especially great. I like what you wrote on The Jalopy Journal about adjustments you are looking at for the coming year. If you drive several hundred miles, race for the afternoon 3-4 times, get off the track without breaking something and get to drive home- you are livin' life by the drop! THANKS

29. MoKanMan

MoKanMan
    from Joplin, MO

Kevs56,
    You guys are WELCOME to run Friday night. You could get a bunch of runs if you are there when we start at 7 pm.

I assume the reason more don't come out on Friday is the party at the hotel.

oldsman71 likes this.
  30. Roothawg

Roothawg

I hate these kind of posts, but I can see where he is coming from.

This was the first year I just got to soak it all in as a spectator.

My take, for what it's worth.

The cars were a lot better than in years past, the quality was way up.

The weather will never happen again.

I think the track could have opened a little sooner, officially. I kept hearing that the track didn't open til 11 and by the time we showed up the spectator side was almost completely full. No biggie, just found it odd.

The event seemed to go off without a hitch. Well organized.

Selling the armbands the night before was a great idea.

I noticed we must be getting older, everyone was in bed by midnight. No 4 am minibike races etc.

All in all, I had a great time, meeting up with old friends. I feel rejuvinated.