Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vin question 1950 coe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikedean58, Aug 21, 2013.

1. mikedean58

mikedean58
    from Idaho

I just purchased what is titled as a 1950 Chevrolet Flatbed. The Idaho title lists the VIN as 6TSA1018. I have not been able to locate that number anywhere on the truck and it does not follow the format for engine numbers. T

he VIN tag is still in the door jamb and lists a VIN that decodes to a 1952 5400 Series COE truck. Which is what I actually believe the truck to be for a couple of reasons. Mostly, the presence of wing windows which I don't believe were available until 1951. I could be wrong.

I'm hoping that somewhere along the line an error was made by the DMV and the wrong year recorded on the title. But I'm still left with the mystery VIN of 6TSA1018. Can anyone shed any light on the origin/meaning/status/location of such a VIN?

2. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you just purchased it I'd be asking the previous owner why the vin doesn't match, would have been better to ask before purchasing.

3. Sorry, but it sounds to me like he gave you a title for a different vehicle - not the one you purchased.

4. Swifster

Swifster

The title is not for your truck...

5. nexxussian

nexxussian

Do you have any friends in law enforcement that could check the SN you have (your vehicle pre-dates the VIN system)?

It could be a simple oversight, or something more nefarious, I would want to confirm which before I moved forward (AFAIK sites like Carfax don't go back that far :( ).

In have had to do the "lost" title gig here in Alaska, it's a PITA, even after you find the people that know what they are doing at DMV (likely all retired since).

How big a deal is it to get through the "lost" title program in Idaho?

6. mikedean58

mikedean58
    from Idaho

Not that big of a deal in Idaho. There are so many different possible scenarios. Some better than others that could explain this. That VIN is still a mystery as it doesn't fit any format for any 1950 Chevy vehicles that I know of which would suggest a possible "assigned" VIN by a DMV somewhere or who knows? And, yes, the common answer, which I am well aware of and is most likely the case, the title is not for the truck. Thanks, Captain Obvious.

7. mikedean58

mikedean58
    from Idaho

I know there is great debate whether there are any number on the frames of these trucks. I personally have had a truck with frame numbers and one without. That number was on the front right frame rail, just behind the front wheel. Any other ideas where to look?

8. Most sites indicate there is no VIN on the early 50's truck frames.
    HS is 20/20, but didn't you check the VIN against the title when you bought it?

9. 2racer

2racer

10. 2racer

2racer

11. I had this same thing happen to me years ago. I happened to have known the truck and owner for 20 years before I found the truck in a salvage yard. (original owner deceased) Salvage yard owner sold me the truck with title signed off by the old man that I knew had owned the truck. After doing much work to the truck I get curious and check the title against the serial number on the truck, NO MATCH!!!!! I took the title down to the DOT, paid my fees and got plates in my name. I filed the serial tag away where no one would ever find it, and kept my mouth shut. (No number of any kind on the truck) Not exactly legal, but no one ever checked. All this happened 20 years ago so your results may differ!
    This is illegal as hell, but you need a serial tag that matches your title. (after you run the number and find out it is good)

12. spankster

spankster

The "TS", in that title serial number denotes 1950 Chevrolet Cabover Engine 5700 series 158"in. wheelbase. i responded to your post over on The Stovebolt Page website. check it out.

13. Post a picture I love to see it, sorry I don't have any input but love Coe trucks

Our only recourse on this road to hell is we're driving a firetruck!

14. mikedean58

mikedean58
    from Idaho

It very well could be a 235. Previous owner said it was a 216. The engine number is AHEA727437.

15. mikedean58

mikedean58
    from Idaho

5VRE-1030 is the VIN on the ID plate.
    5= Kansas City, Mo
    VR= 1952 5400 series 134" wb COE
    E= May
    1030= Production sequence

I'm thinking the TS is merely a coincidence?

16. spankster

spankster

If it is indeed a '52 model 5400 series, it will have door vent glass, & push button door handles, with a 90 mph speedometer. Should also have a 134"in. wheelbase. A '50 model would have no door vent glass, pull down door handles, will have a driver side, side cowl vent, along with a 80 mph speedometer.