Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '33 willys.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jan bogert, Aug 21, 2013.

1. jan bogert

jan bogert

some of yous will remember my '33 willys sedan i'm working on. well i'm making BIG changes to it. i'm turning it into a short delivery. made the templetes this week. and i'm making the 18 gage steel inserts tomarow. hinges are off and tomarow the spot welding begins. I will post pics. tomarow when I do an insert. heres before and one with the template for a peek :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Ahhh my eyes those wheels are terrible. The panel is going to look killer. Can't wait to see the final product.

3. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Is your panel going behind the reveals or on the face of the body?If you put them behind you use the middle post to fill where they used to be and gives you better lines and visually makes the truck look longer than it actually is,if that makes sense.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's looking pretty good. I like the new direction.

5. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Super !!! Will be watching this one !!! Jeff

6. As a ''77'' owner i'm in. JW

7. jan bogert

jan bogert

the wheels are going they were on there when I got it 2 years ago. I/m going to run centerlines. and the inserts are going over the post

8. Obviously!

9. jan bogert

jan bogert

I need something on it to back it in and out of the garage. i'm doing all the power fileing of the body work outside. so we all know those wheels are just to move the car around. if anyone would think I would keep those on a willys, then theres something wrong and not with me. like I said i'm going to run centerlines.:)

10. benji2714

benji2714

Just a thought. Chuck finder's told me they would reverse the firewalls on 33's.

11. jan bogert

jan bogert

benji, my firewall is made from a wheelbarrow. its kind of unique. old school, that's the way I like my cars, old school.:)

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I like it! I know it's a lot more work, but I'd remove the rear post, weld the doors shut, and make one large panel inset a little. Sure would look neat with a single panel.

13. jan bogert

jan bogert

71, its going to be one panel, and the will cover the post just like the template. and were the hinges were i'm covering that area and the door seam to body with 18 gage steel spot welded to the body.:)

14. Jan,
    I like the way it looks with the templates on there. Looking forward to watching the progress.
    Tom

15. jan bogert

jan bogert

TFoch, yeh, I got to get this one done so I can get my '34 chevy coupe started.:)

Attached Files:

16. jan bogert

jan bogert

here u can see where the insert is going. flat against the body, on the inside of that step-in. same along the post where the door and rear window meet. on the pic. with the door open the insert will have a lip of 5/16" down to the pillar post and coming out 3/8" laying on the pillar post. that's going to be spot welded down that 3/8" leg. and all the way around the panel insert.

Attached Files:

17. jan bogert

jan bogert

the gap along the beltline i'll fill with tiger hair, and coat with duraglas. and the same where ever I need to.

18. Ghost28

Ghost28

I like where you are going with it. Will there be a rear door?

19. jan bogert

jan bogert

Ghost, no no door:) i'm not having a rear seat .i'll just move the seat up all the way and fold it front to access the back. its just the battery behind the two seats in the middle. and of coarse about 6" of the aluminum fuel tank all the way in the back, how many times do u have to get to the tank on any vehile?

20. How did you get on with your gas tank ? JW

21. jan bogert

jan bogert

26T, I don't understand.

22. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Love the panel truck look and it really looks cool.

Did they ever make the 33 like that?

Jimbo

23. jan bogert

jan bogert

they did make a '33 willys panel. but the roof was taller, and the rear of the body longer. this will as u can see be short. I really like this look. can't wait to paint it. all red with '60's/'70's dual racing stripes down the hood in white, with the 6" center of the stripe blue with 13 stars in each stripe. the rear spare tire holder panel which i'll make will say PATRIOT

24. A year ago I gave you measurements for a 77 gas tank neck etc. I thought the panel came out in 35. JW

25. jan bogert

jan bogert

26, yeh, that 8 gallon tank would get me around the block. I got a aluminum fuel tank 37 long 12 tall 9 1/2 wide. sticks out the floor 6" but that's ok. thanks. you might be right on the panel in '35

26. jan bogert

jan bogert

just got mt insert panels spot welded on. still need to tie the bottom of the door in with a patch and since its not going to be opening I can just come underneith with the patch and spot weld it onto the bottom body.

Attached Files:

27. 33HEMI

33HEMI

28. Whoa! Jan that has to get your juices flowing! That thing looks mean!

29. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am totally digging it! Has a Thames look to it.

30. jan bogert

jan bogert

I got both side inserts installed now. tomarow i'm going to do the bottom of the what was rear doors. i'll post more pics. tomarow.:)