Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oh look, another newbie. :)

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by kv racing, Jul 4, 2013.

1. kv racing

kv racing

Hey guys, another newbie here that is bound to ask some dumb questions. ;)
    I guess I should tell a little about what brought me here. First, my name is Rob, I'm 43, have been fooling with cars (mostly old Fords) for 25 yrs, been bracket racing since 1992, and currently race a 1969 Mustang fastback. But that's not why I'm here. :p Several years back my gf's father passed away, and she inherited his 1951 Ford Custom. It hadn't been moved since 1985, and wasnt moved prior to that since 1975. The car is all there, runs, and frankly looks really good given the age and how long it has sat. But here's the problem, it has/had a stuck intake valve and I know NOTHING about flatheads. If it was a 351 Cleveland it would have been fixed as soon as we got it home. LOL
    Anyways, we cleaned the car up, replaced both water pumps, new hoses, belts, redid all the brakes (including new wheel cylinders and new master cylinder), rebuilt the carb, new plugs, wires, all new guts for the distributor, new coil, new fuel pump, etc. Since we cant afford to go racing due to home finances being too tight currently, we have decided to fool with this car more and get it to where we can drive it. I found a couple of threads on here about working the valve thru the plug hole and I've done that. The valve moves pretty freely now, but it still wont close on it's own, and worse, when you start it now something is making a helluva clackity clackity clackity racket when it runs (never did that before.) So my plan is to pull the intake and see if I can figure out what is going on in there. That leads me to this; are there any tricks to or tips I need to know before removing the intake? It looks pretty straight forward to me. I know I probably should not have asked that here, but for now it seemed like the best option to getting a quick answer.
    And just so you know what we're dealing with, here are a couple of pics and a link to the photobucket folder with the pics.

http://s70.photobucket.com/user/kid...sort=3&special_track=nav_tab_my_albums&page=1

[​IMG]

2. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Welcome from NC! Nice looking '51 Ford you have!

3. Welcome from CT!

4. nickeynova

nickeynova
    from texas.

Welcome from texas

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. kv racing

kv racing

Thanks everyone. :)

6. Welcome ... nice car. Are those dual gold line tires?

7. kv racing

kv racing

I dont know. They were "gonna pops" if we tried to run them at all. LOL
    We put new tires on it before we ever got it running.

8. welcome to the board ...

9. tolo2go

tolo2go

Taking off the intake is pretty straight forward. Like anything else, keeping track of things is what I need to pay attention to. If you need a good site to reference the motor you have: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/ has great resources.

10. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

Welcome to the HAMB from South Ga. :)

11. RFH1931

RFH1931

Welcome from S.C.

12. Hemishovel

Hemishovel

Welcome from wi

13. wicarnut

wicarnut