Register now to get rid of these ads!

Safety-Kleen

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by isettajohn, Aug 20, 2013.

1. I have an old Safety Kleen tank from back when I worked in a local dealership. The old fluids are pretty much spent now in my hobby use garage. My question is what is everyone using now that the old original formular has changed and what works best now? What do you use and reccomend?

2. I use pant thinner in mine. HRP

3. Me too John, the paint stores cheapo brand laquer thinner works great. Buy it in 5 gal cans for a better price.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. RPM

RPM

Mineral spirits works great.

5. racer32

racer32

+1...the Safety-Kleen guys want too much money!

6. snaptwo

snaptwo

We used to buy mineral spirits and mix it with Stoddard solvent , most paint stores used to carry it but I don't know these days.,Lacquer thinner works but evaporates pretty fast.

7. stimpy

stimpy

mineral spirts and stoddard solvent are very close to each other so they eliminated it ( used to haul lots of the stuff ) at the shop we went to mineral spirits and some liquid tide to help with breaking the grease down better , have ot be carefull as if its pushed thru the pump it will foam . but the soap does seam to help more as the parts aren't as greasy when you pull them out and wash off easy in water , in my home tank I use zeps purple cleaner ( also rubbermaid brand ) 1 5 gallon container of purple to 15 gallons of water , only bad thing is it will eat aluminum as it has caustic in it , the good is the 5 gallons is 40 bucks . and can be disposed easier .

8. cryobug

cryobug

I like to line my barrel with a lawn and garden trash bag and use straight Mineral spirits. The sediments are easier to cleanout of your barrel with the trash bag liner.

9. prpmmp

prpmmp

Hey!! I'm in the same boat!! What to do with the old fluid? Can it be disposed of at a recycling place? Can it be taken back to Safety Kleen,but keep the container? Pete

10. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone