Register now to get rid of these ads!

110v wire welder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dgb, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Dgb

Dgb
    from Kansas

Does anybody have any input on a 110v wire welder that uses flux wire for welding patch panels in ?

2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

flux core sucks for patches. the 110v part is ok. i used a knock of lincoln 110 for years till i bought my big toy.. if would be best if you atleast run solid core wire and a good sheilding gas... thats if you have to use a mig.. a tig is the best thing in the world for sheetmetal, but they are a difficult to use without experience.

3. Forget using flux wire; without shield gas, you'll just make a mess....

4. Mac_man_51

Mac_man_51

I agree with previous statements. Tig is cleanest weld. Less to clean. Less chance of warping metal. Shielded gas is next best. Also better for structural welds and thicker metals. IMO

Posted using the tubbed Lead-sled with a blower H.A.M.B. App!

5. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

I have been using a Hobart 140 for sheet metal work using solid core wire and gas.Works well for me at my ability level.Used the flux core wire for some thicker material worked well also but insnt as clean.Kinda like working with stick welder and having to clean the slag off after finished welding.

6. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I have a Miller 135 119 volt wire welder. I love it and wouldn't trade it for anything

7. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

The master of metal shaping use Oxy-Acetylene as it creates the softest weld that can be stretched back out. But that takes alot of skill. So a MIG is a good alternative for some basic metal work. Do not use Flux, you have to use a shielding gas for patch panel work. My family has a little 110 Miller has has served us well, the only thing to look for is that the heat and wire feed are Infinitely adjustable, soooo nice for welding on thin sheet metal.

8. I'll second that. The welders with 'steps' on either the heat or wire speed (or both) can be much harder to use on sheetmetal.

9. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

I have a TIG and MIG welder but have been using the MIG for sheetmetal because I thought the TIG would add more heat. This is not so? I thought TIG heats up the surrounding metal more because there's arc for a longer period of time.
    If TIG is better, any special techniques or tutorials? I have a ton of sheet metal work to do so I would get tons of practice :)
    Peace

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Hyde_Auto_Body

Hyde_Auto_Body

yeah I bought a small Harbor Freight 90 amp unit and used it for light welding. It worked OK but the welds weren't as pretty as with argon or argon mix.

11. fsae0607

fsae0607

Don't use flux core for sheet metal; it'll burn right through it. For patch panels use gas/solid core.

12. raidmagic

raidmagic

I learned how to do patches and have done all my patches with flux core welder.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. fsae0607

fsae0607

I was using a HF 90-amp. The low setting still cranks out around 65 amps I think. I tried to practice on some sheet metal and it was very difficult to get good tacks. May have been the welder I was using but usually flux core is not recommended for patch panel work.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I've used oxy/acet since 1954...chopped tops, inserted patch panels, etc.
    Best torch is a Victor Aircraft ('G' size) and the tips have 1/4" USS threads.

My ham-fisted brother broke 2 tips off HAMMERING between stitches with my little Victor while trying to weld...(??!??) I went to my local Airgas supplier, he said there was no way to fix the tips. (one was a 'OO', or 'double-ought'...the other was 'O', single ought.
    He looked them up, (out of print!...BUT, they could get the 'double ought' for $120.)

The reason for the story here is this: I screwed a small E-Z out into the broken stub of the tip, (copper) and it unscrewed. The end was turned down into an inverted male shape, then had 1/4" USS threads above that!
    The broken-off tip had plenty of shank length left, (2.75") so I shaped the end on the grinder, finished it with a small mill file, and cut the end with a shaped 3/16" drill bit.
    Threaded the shank above my reshape, and screwed it in. Voila!
    Same with the 'O' (single ought tip)

If you have Victor tips that have been raped by those of lesser faith, don't let this force you to buy a mIg! Buy one anyway, but FIX YOUR TIPS!

16. raidmagic

raidmagic

Maybe it was the welder. I have a newer nicer welder now and can't do as good with it. Here is some welds I did when I was first learning (I'm no fab guy now either:D) This was done with a 110 craftsmen welder. Still have the car it's been a few years and things still look good.

[​IMG]

17. fsae0607

fsae0607

^^ Not bad! Wish I had a Miller 211 :(

18. i agree with haag. no flux core. get some gas to go with a little welder. tig is really the best and takes practice. learning gas welding first is a great base to learn tig. i am working on getting the rest of the parts i need so i can tig. i will be very happy then.

19. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I'm still learning too with a Hobart Handler 140 unit. All I can say from my experience so far is keep the power low but don't be afraid to crank up the wire speed. At first I kept blowing holes in thin metal but when I cranked up the speed, it did good.

I'm not gonna knock a cheap flux core welder because I miss mine. They sure come in handy welding up mowers and lawn furniture. Even making some brackets....but not for sheet metal.

I know I can swap mine back over to flux, but I'd sort of like to have another cheapy so I don't have to go thru the hassle.

20. Flux core is nothing more than stick welding. Same alloy, same flux, just inside out. Since the polarity is reversed from MIG, it does run hotter. The weld appearance will also be the same as a stick weld. Flux core is great for construction and heavy duty stuff. I've run miles of it on different projects like the L.A. Metro, water projects, bridges, etc. It isn't the ideal stuff for sheet metal, but if you're patient and skilled, you can make it work. For Joe Average, MIG is best. Lowest initial cost and the learning curve is gentle

21. SloppyEggs

SloppyEggs

I use a Hobart 210. You can easily change it between 110v and 220v by just changing the plug end, and I believe it'll run flux core. Although I just use the gas. For me it's been all I need and definitely worth the extra money.

22. falconizer_62

falconizer_62

Thanks mr48chev! I did notice it is hard to work the mig welds. I'll TIG the fender and see how it goes. I do also have an oxy setup but have never welded sheetmetal with it. Hmmmmm... I might practice on some scrap and see if I don't burn it into the blob from hell

23. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I have been using a Lincoln 135 Plus for several years wit .023 wire, argon/CO2 gas. It is a great little machine . Both Lincoln and Miller have great welders for homeowners. se

24. Take the time to learn to hammer weld. It's not that hard. I MIG welded for years. Got pretty good with sheet metal. Started gas welding and would NEVER go back. Don't fight the heat, work WITH it! I still use my MIG. Great for plug welds and structural stuff. (220 machine)

25. fleetside66

fleetside66

Ditto.