Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help with 1962 Mercury Monterey

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sprayberry1, Oct 7, 2012.

1. sprayberry1

sprayberry1

Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct forum or not, but here goes. I am restoring a 62 Mercury Monterey. I'm in need of just a small portion of the drivers side rear quarter panel. Once upon a time this car was hit in the rear, pretty much quartering in. Crunched below taillight and also the back end where the backup light was. It was repaired along time ago. Pretty crappy job and has begun to rust a bit. So I'm hoping to find just that small section from a parts car. Don't want to deal with a complete quarter panel as I really just need from the top down a little past the horizontal seam, 2' running forward and 2' running across the rear.
    There's got to be a few of these montereys sitting in wrecking yards all over the country that are rusted out around the wheel well.
    Any Hambers seen one? Any leads would be greatly appreciated..,,

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

No one is re-popping these quarter panels, but they are not too hard to make. I made my own on my '62 Wagon, since they were rusted out pretty bad. If you want to go the salvage yard route, you are just going to have to get on the phone and start calling yards. I would think one of the many places in AZ or the desert southwest should have something for you.

Here is a couple pics of my Merc.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

Good Luck.

3. Here is a good contact for used parts. I use him a lot and been very happy. He will ship and if your not in a big hurry he travels I-5 a few times a year. He is in Vancouver Wa.
    Stan the Ford man 360-687-1216
    His specialty is 1960 * 1970 full size Ford/Merc's He has many parts cars. You won't regret making the call.
    The Wizzard

4. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Not knowing how bad it is, but have you talked to an older experienced body man, sometimes they can work miracles, should be some shops in your area, keep us informed, I like those cars, the taillights especially!

5. sprayberry1

sprayberry1

Here's what I am dealing with.
    Come on Hamber's talk me through this.....

Just for reference, it had more than an inch of filler on the side and rear.

Attached Files:

6. fakesnake.com

fakesnake.com

Did you try Big M in Williams, Ca? About a 2 hour drive from you. I have bought several 62 Monterey parts from him. Stan the Ford man would most likely not have those parts as he tends to stick with 60-61 Fords.

7. sprayberry1

sprayberry1

Yeh, thanx for all the help. I've talked with John at Big M and he has one. Will only sell me a complete quarter for big $$$. I have spoken to several other folks and found three more options. (Hilltop Classics, All American and Desert Valley Auto) But by the time I buy the section and have it shipped, it would be just as expensive as Big M. So my neighbor (the sheet metal mechanic) as well as considering the high cost of a donor fender, has talked me into fabricating small pieces, welding them in and shaping it back up. It will be a challenge for sure. But hey, I've certainly got way more time than money.
    Hopefully I'll get some status/progress pictures posted here in a few weeks.

8. sprayberry1

sprayberry1

Just making a little progress. Hope to do more this coming weekend.

Attached Files:

9. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Looks like you are on the right track. Nice Job.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  10. Domino

Domino

As someone who is working on a 62 Galaxie I feel your pain with trying to find body parts. The Mercury is even harder to find parts for. It looks like you are on your way to having it fixed. Frozenmerc-That is going to be a cool wagon.

11. sprayberry1

sprayberry1

Making some progress. We've been welding in a lot of sheet metal. Feels like I've sanded off more bondo than I've applied. lol....

Attached Files:

• 275.jpg
      275.jpg
      File size:
      492 KB
      Views:
    • 278.jpg
      278.jpg
      File size:
      488.3 KB
      Views:
    • 316.jpg
      316.jpg
      File size:
      476 KB
      Views:
  12. 62MercMan

62MercMan

I've got a 62 merc 4 door custom, She's my resto project!!!!!! Parts ARE hard to find for these beauts!!! Keep posting pics!!!!!

13. White05GT

White05GT
    from NC

My dad bought a 62 2dr HT Montery new, didn't have it long when my sis who had just gotten her license put a crease in the panel behind the drivers door.

She hit it on the rear bumper of a 54 Chevy in a parking lot. He never had it fixed as a reminder for her to drive carefully. I remember riding with him one day when the headliner came loose and dropped on his head lol.

62 Mercs are definately scarce these days, his was white with the black trim under the windows, black and white interior. 352 but don't remember what carb.

Wish he was still with us, he'd like this site.

14. jukeman

jukeman

i have a 2 door 62 mercury monterery custom it has a 390 4barrel carb, 3 speed cruz a matic rebuilt,power steering ,and power brakes and air condition..this is gonna be my luxury car..i had a new front window seal put in but my floor is still getting wet wish i could find out where the water is coming from it only does it when it rains..also my back side glass won`t roll all the way up it doesn`t go straight up like a lot of them the front comes up first then the back comes up.it`s a work in progress..can anyone help?..here is some pictures of it..the quarter panels are rusted out and i use flashing to try to repair it..thanks for any help ..parts are hard to find..

15. jukeman

jukeman

these are pictures of my 62 merc a work in progress..

Attached Files:

16. fakesnake.com

fakesnake.com

You should pull panel off on back side and check your window track. There are plastic rollers that sit in the track at the front and back. You may have broken off the back rollers.

In regards to your leak, you might want to consider running a hose over a section of vehicle at a time to see if you can see where water is coming in from. Those vent windows aren't always water tight.

17. sprayberry1

sprayberry1

Hey Jukeman. Let me know if you need any parts. I have a few...

18. sprayberry1

sprayberry1

Just a quick update. I've made a lot of progress.

Attached Files:

19. rprice76

rprice76
    from Palominas

WOW! You sure did!

20. Get on your back under the dash with plenty of good light. If it's leaking that badly you may want to use something battery powered like a good LED flashlight or trouble light. Start looking for any signs of rust stains or water damage to insulation panels. Might have to do a bit of disassembly under there to get a good look.

If there's nothing obvious get someone outside of the car to trickle water from a garden hose around the cowl vent area and windshield frame. Don't use a full pressure spray of water from the hose, at least at first. Start down low at first and work from side to side, then work your way up. Get the hood open and test around any seams on the firewall.

Most cars will have some drain ports built into the cowl and plenun area to allow water to run out. These ports tend to plug up over the years on some cars. There might have even been some rubber drain hoses connected to these ports at one time. If the hoses have rotted away the water just runs into the hinge pillars or somewhere else where you don't want it instead of draining out below the body of the car.

21. sprayberry1

sprayberry1

Stella is close to getting some color on her.

Attached Files:

22. Merchead62

Merchead62

I can't wait to see her all dressed up!!!

23. sprayberry1

sprayberry1

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376967525.386171.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1376967539.652198.jpg
    Stella's getting some color.
    My wife, who is the inspiration for this car and has put endless hours into her so far, picked this two tone paint scheme and specific colors.
    That's Mediterranean Blue up top and Sparkle Silver below.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  24. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Nicely Done. That is a good looking color combo.

25. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

straight and shiney, nice job, great colors.

26. pride63

pride63

Check out the Dropbox thread for the manuals and other stuff on this motor

27. sprayberry1

sprayberry1

A few more picts.

Attached Files:

28. Wow, great job! I need to get into the trade of fabricating metal and welding soon. I filled up two hand sized holes on my car with duct tape and bondo over it. Ashamed to say that but hey, whatever. One day when i can finally weld I'll put in new patches of metal there, as well as give my car an actual paint job with a compressor and gun.
    Subscribed...looking forward to seeing the final outcome.

29. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

That's how it's suppose to be..

Looks cool

30. Jim McEachran

Jim McEachran

Hi,

If you still have some 62 Monterey parts please contact me.

Jim