Register now to get rid of these ads!

1954 Y block question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by t5marc, Aug 20, 2013.

1. t5marc

t5marc

Hello ..I have a 54 ford f250 tow truck ..it has a Y block first question im having a tough time figuing out what size engine it is because 239/252/312 etc... 99% of my cars are gm..second there is a road draft tube on the drivers side and it seems to push some oil out when it runs...the engine runs fine and doesnt smoke figured it might be some kind of vent im overlooking..thanks

2. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Inside the draft tube, (under the can), is a filter. Chances are it is plugged, if you're lucky it'll clean, if not, it may disintegrate! There is also a drain back tube, it maybe plugged too. As far as determining which engine, what size spark plugs does it have? If they are 14 m.m., then more than likely it's the 239, if it has the 18 m.m., then it's a later motor. I.d. marks; there are 2 areas to look at. One is above the oil filter mount, the other is behind the valley cover, beside the distributor. You'll be looking for "EBU, or ECK, or B9AE, or C1AE, or ECZ. Check out John Mummert's Y-Block site, he has some ways to help determine it. So how much does a padded room cost, I've been tempted to get one!! ; )

3. t5marc

t5marc

Thanks so much Mike...The truck sat in a garage since 68..it was a local Esso tow truck that used to pull the wrecks off of the trenton speedway in nj back in the day..Ive had a few fords but nothing ever with a y block so its kind of new to me trying to identify to get the right parts for it...padded rooms come free after your gun collection reaches 750 and ya own 20 cars..lol

4. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You sure you don't have a Lincoln Y block engine? They did use them in the bigger Ford trucks! Easiest way to find out is to look at the end bolts/studs of the exhaust manifolds. If the two bolts are directly across on a horizontal plane then you have a Ford Y. If they are at an angle then it is a Lincoln Y.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

6. Ole don

Ole don

The Lincoln engine was used on the Big Job trucks, larger than F 6. If the truck really has a 239, I would not spend much money on it. 272 and 292 engines are easy to find, and are cheaper to repair.