Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ring and Pinion Setup for Dummies

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blowby, Aug 19, 2013.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I am going to attempt to put 4:10 gears and a trac lock carrier in my 8" pumpkin, now 3:00 open. Yes, I could have a pro set it up, but I wanna try. Two questions: I see they have regular and 'adjustable' crush sleeves. Which should I get? Second, anyone know of a good article or video on setup?

2. 2racer

2racer

3. Nonstop

Nonstop
    from CA

They make crush sleeve and a pinion spacer with shims. I think for a first timer, a spacer might be a little more forgiving, but will take longer to set up. The 8 inch is a simple rear to set up. Just take your time and make sure to ask any questions. A lot of good info on this board!

4. hotrod327

hotrod327
    from Orygun

I just did a ring-n-pinion swap in my 8" for the first time. Was not bad at all...just need the right tools to get the bearings off (did mine w/out a press, you'll need a bearing puller) and to get it set up correctly (dial indicator/inch pound torque wrench/big breaker bar) and I used the crush sleeve that came with the rebuild kit. These guys are kinda goofy, but there is some good info here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeWfDTZEW0Y I referenced their 3 part series and a Chiltons manual to do mine and it works great.

5. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

God bless you and may you not spent too much money in the process.I'm not saying it cannot be done by a beginner without someone looking over your shoulder,your chances of success aren't in your favor.

Remember you have 3 values to concern yourself with.
    #1 bearing preload
    A pinion bearing preload
    B side case bearing preload
    Without proper bearing preload you have neither proper pinion depth or ring gear backlash.
    #2 pinion depth. Pinion depth is set BEFORE ring gear backlash can be established
    #3after the pinion is installed in the case with what you feel is the proper depth shim ,you can install the ring gear and adjust the backlash with proper preload of the side case bearings. Then paint your ring gear teeth to check your tooth contact.

Then adjust accordingly.
    Randy's Ring and Pinion has a good book that has some accurate information regarding the set up of ring and pinions.I've been at this for 35 years and it is a good resource.

6. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Thanks for the advice and info guys. Let you know how it turns out. If I can't get it right I guess I can always take it somewhere.

7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Make sure you can use a 4 series R&P on a 3 series carrier , I've read that some you can not & some require a spacer .
    dave

8. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

It is relatively easy to get it all together and working ok.
    The hard part is getting it all adjusted so the gears mesh at the right point on the tooth and so it all lasts for a good long time.

So...don't just go "well that's close enough - it works fine"

I went to college with Randy from Randy's Ring & Pinion and hung out a lot at the various R&P shops that he and some of my other friends started up right after school.
    They fixed a LOT of stuff that was put together by home builders who didn't set them up quite right, and so they didn't last very long.

I mean, it certainly can be done - after all... Randy taught himself how to do it in his garage and later turned it into a whole chain of R&P shops.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

OK, finally got around to installing the gears. I've been using this from Richmond Gear for reference http://www.moserengineering.com/moser/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/ringandpinion.pdf

Questions: What can I use that I already have around the shop for checking tooth pattern? Dykem blue, grease? And the 8" has threaded adjusters to move the carrier, not shims. Is there a prescribed torque on these for bearing adjustment (like a front wheel bearing for example)?

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Old fashioned white lith grease works very well.

11. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Not to say you can't do it, but by the time you realize something's gone wrong it's usually too late to just take it somewhere (unless somewhere is the scrap yard).

12. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  13. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You will want to get the adjusters as tight as you can with a spanner wrench you will have to realy get ruff with it to over tighten them (more than likely you wont get them tight enuff).
    And always make sure that the last adjustments on them will be in the tighting direction.

14. Drive Em

Drive Em

It's a Ford, there is no carrier break down between ratios, they will all fit.

15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Perfect, got lots of that. Thanks.

I read elsewhere .004" preload, and hole to hole on the adjusters is .005", so snug them to zero and then almost one hole further. I was fortunate and found a 4WD front hub socket that fits the adjusters. Thanks.

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

With that socket and say a 10 in ratchet get them as tight as you can buy hand you will want to be able to fill the drag on the ring gear when you turn it.

17. I endorse that advice. You can over tighten them.

18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Can or can't? Seems like what Slatflats said about coincides with the one hole from snug thing, 10" ratchet with a hard pull.

I tried white grease to check the tooth pattern but I couldn't see well. So I cleaned what I could off and tried dykem blue. Still hard to tell what I'm looking at but I think I'm in the ballpark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hard to tell - the Dykem is way too wet and that consistency makes it smear. It should be just wet enough to allow you to brush it on.

Not trying to find fault, just a little constructive criticism. I had 38-years in the gearing industry, in all phases from Engineering to manufacturing to installation.

20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I know...it's the white grease I put on first. I should have spent more time trying to get it off. I'll do that.

21. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

i wanted to try it myself too but chickened out when it came time. i dont want trouble, so i paid a pro to do it. i would like to learn though.

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Much of the fun of this hobby for me comes from trying and learning new things, and I have enjoyed this so far. It may not be so enjoyable if I have to take it back apart though! It's going in a 1,500lb. truck with 60hp so I'm taking into account that it won't be heavily stressed.

23. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Much of the fun of this hobby for me comes from trying and learning new things, and I have enjoyed this so far."

Yep, you're a real hot rodder ..... beware, there is no cure.

24. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

25. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Is a gasket necessary on an 8-9" pumpkin for axle alignment or is it not really a concern? Mine is narrow and axles very short.

26. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

When I did my first one everyone said have someone else do it, my thought was if they can do it I can. It is going on 3 years know, and no problems. You will never learn if you don't try.