Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coker tire: Wtf? Fine print!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick Willy, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Take 7/16" off and you'll be looking at cord. Man, that's bad.

2. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Yes, I do read them, as you can read mine. They aren't blind in this. They have two bad tires, that I had tested, and now they have tested to be a manufacturers defect.

Let me ask you this... you buy a lifetime warranty muffler two years ago, price of steel skyrockets again, your muffler pops...you're expected to pay inflation costs to replace it?

I already bought them once!

3. They're a business. It works the other way around if they want to continue to succeed.

4. The squeeky wheel gets the grease. So, I hope you end up satisfied. Lots of our cars sit, especially in areas w/long winters. So, time should NOT be a factor in "lifetime" warrantee situations

5. badshifter

badshifter

I get it. I agreed you don't have to like it. Im not calling you out. All I'm saying is, they are doing what their warranty says they will do. No more, no less. I run Coker Firestones as well, so it's not like it can't happen to me. I don't care about the muffler scenario, or a new car warranty, as long as the seller honors what they had in writing, I'm good. And it sounds like it may have been a hassle, but Coker honored the warranty.
    These threads get more pointless by the minute. I'm sorry I added to it. I'm off to do a burnout or two on my way home.

6. badshifter

badshifter

I disagree. My bet is we car guys screw more good products up, than defective products are sold to us. By a huge margin.

7. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Badshifter you are right on, unfortunately.

8. buckd

buckd

2 words::: DIAMOND BACK

9. Buzznut

Buzznut

I take a bit of issue with this comment. I see WAY too many defective parts being taken off within a short period after we install them here at the shop. Granted, they are mostly Made in China POS's, but they're still defective from the manufacturer. Yes, backyard mechanics screw parts up all the time, but a certified mechanic can install defective parts all day long, and they still aren't going to perform as expected....so it only goes to reason that this will also hold true for the backyard mechanic.

10. dan31

dan31

Maybe so ,but the tires where proven to be defective and not screwed up by him.As a business owner myself I agree with Peddros statement.

11. dan31

dan31

And yes , Diamond back!

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

What, no scientific measurements? Get those people a scientist, and a yard stick!

I had a blowout on vacation this year. Went to America's Tire with my extended lifetime free replacement warranty I had purchased. New tire cost me $25...

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The way I look at it the warranty should not have anything to do with what the tire cost today,if its warranted for the life of the tread then it should be replaced at no cost to the purchaser.

14. I had an issue with a California Custom Roadsters chassis. I had them build an A chassis for a Ford motor. It took about 3 years to get back on the project and when I went to mount the transmission, I found that the tranny mount was for a T350, not a C4 Ford. I went down there and showed it to them and they said they would exchange it even though it had been 3 years or so, but the new ones had gone up about $20 and I would have to pay the difference. Honestly I felt after that time period, that was not an unreasonable request even though it was clearly their fault int he first place. I'm sure many companies would have wanted me to buy a new piece outright - about $120.00

15. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

I know how you feel...I bought a 50 merc and it had a ......man clip under the front...I could never get the bump steer out of the car....I had a 3 time Nascar National Champion driver and chassis builder work on it...he told me the design would never allow me to get the bump steer right....While at the NSRA Nationals in Louisville about 3 years ago I walked up to the Clip builder and asked if I could pick his brain on a tech issue...he said...what is it...I said I have one of your clips under a da da da and preseeded to also tell him I didn't know if it was installed and springs were cut or clip done wrong or what but since he was the Guroo of front ends I wanted his opinion on what to do to work it out...His reply, and I have 2 best friends witnessed it and about 20 more I don't know .....my F'n fronts ends don't have bump steer problems...I don't have time to listen to this sh..,.....my reply was..well I'll just cut it out from under the car and put a Camaro...he screamed out where anyone in 50 feet could hear....F-U and walked off....it was almost like the phone commercial with the pig on the airplane...people said...did he say what I thought he said........so, me being a Christian man, I walked off before saying something I'd regret..( before becoming a Christian I would have probably served time for what I would have done to him then)...BUT OVER THE YEARS IF SOMEONE ASKED ABOUT HIS CHASSIS.....I FELT OBLIGED TO GIVE HIM A MILLION DOLLARS WORTH OF ADVERTISEMENT..............

16. badshifter

badshifter

I rest my case.
    The life of Coker, Fatman, and many others in the industry.

17. 59 brook

59 brook

my coker silverton radials did the same thing and they offered me the same crappy deal 3 yr old maybe 25000 miles , 2 shops said they tires were bad byt amazingly coker found only 1 bad so $500+ for new tires . once the warranty is done it's time to try diamondbacks

18. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

YOU GOT TO LIKE A GUY WITH A MODEL A TRUCK FOR AN AVATAR....I like yours...And it's my shop truck too............hehehe

19. I call bullshit! The MISTAKE was made...BY THEM... BEFORE the price increase..........
    IMO, if a mistake was made, "time" should not come into play

20. Gota agree with you on this one, their mistake not yours, why should it come outa your pocket!!
    Just ordered some cokers for the front of my car, hoping im not going to face these issues.:eek:

21. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Hey man don't knock the radials. I know they are not period correct but after dealing with shoddy bias tire recap products out there a lot of us are running them because we have run into the same problems that you are running into now. I would love if someone would make a radial that has the period correct look. Here is to hoping :)
    Jay

22. Dang I don't wanna hear all this negative vibe over Coker ..... my plan was to (finally) pay for "alliance member" and order four donuts this next month with some cash I gots coming .... now I get a bad feeling.

23. rodknocker

rodknocker

I just want to throw this out there after reading several of these threads over the years. Find a shop, which will most likely be a new car dealer (as they are mandated by many manufacturers because of this issue) that has a road force balancer with a printer. That way when you take your wheels to be mounted, and there's an issue, you will have the print out that you can prove there is a defect with the tire. For those who don't know or have never seen a road force balancer operate, a large drum drops down on the tire as its spinning, it applies force and has a sensor to measure hard spots in the sidewalls which is the cause of the shakes. The balancer our dealer has will tell you if the road force exceeds limitations, it will also tell you if it can be corrected by dismounting, and turning the tire to another point on the rim, it has you mark the tire and the rim, then match them. It will also tell you where to mount the tire on the car for the best ride, or it will tell you it is not correctable. We charge a few dollars more per tire, but it would save the headache of dealing with this.

24. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

^^Actually its where the headache began :rolleyes:....

Attached Files:

25. Don't ever buy the warranty Coker implies when selling you tires. I did and it was money I'd rather have back in my pocket because it in no way protected me from a bad tire. Told the guy at Coker to shove it and stepped up and bought some English made speed rated tires and never looked back. Will I ever buy cokers again? Ya probably, but I know to expect nothing but the worst customer service and stand behind their product back pedaling. But hey they kinda hold the market for cool tires so it is what it is and they know it! So live and learn. Coker tires sure look good on a fully restored trailer queen, cause that's what the tires are really made for.

26. Pete

Pete

Iv had bad luck with most of the coker tires, they are all out of round to some extent. I purchased 2 new 6.00-16's and they both were out of round, I removed the tires, had the rims checked and it was found that the tires were the cause.

Pete-

27. rodknocker

rodknocker

After showing them that, they still back pedal on their warranty?, wow:eek:
    that's shitty.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have installed about 100 Coker tires, of various sizes and types. All were sent out to be shaved. Number that did not actually need it: 3.

29. 55chieftain

55chieftain

How much road force did the tires measure? Does Coker have some spec they use to determine a warrantable claim? Anything more than 25 lbs is a problem.

30. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Don't get me wrong here, guys!
    Coker IS warrantying 2 tires that are out of round!
    But for some reason they want me to pay for the retail price difference between today and when I bought them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.