Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

It's still kinda hard to see, but I took her out again this morning and clamped a piece of tubing to the drill press and turned her loose again with much better results. Then she had to get ready for work... Tomorrow on her day off we'll get some stuff done.

Attached Files:

2. She is going to freaking kill you by the time that dash is done!:D

3. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

There's something about tediously making swirlies on metal that allow one's mind to just drift....I know.

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Why do you think I have her doing them? :D Hopefully it'll give her a bit of insight into why nothing ever happens NOW!!!

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Must be what happened to me! I don't know if you knew this, But I did all the engine turning on all three 36'-8' Phoenix International Raceway signs that were at the entrances... Is it any wonder I'm not quite right?

6. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Keep Chipping away Chip. I love it so far.. been scrounging parts for a 23 modified build for myself you make me want to reconsider building a bucket instead...

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Engineturning the Bugatti dash and firewall was my job years ago at the Bugatti restoration shop, it was done with a hand drill and a guide fixture. Heavy valve gringing compound was used and you never knew for sure how things would look untill the last swirl was made and the sheet was washed off. I miss working on them. Bob

8. when I did the dash in my modified my wife called me and she asked what I was doing in the only answer I had was meditating

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Vietnam.:) Just got back yesterday. We had a HELL of a good time, mostly in Ho Chi Mien City, also spent 4 days on the beach in Qui-Nhon. Ate like a pig, got a good farmer tan, it was GREAT!!

The view from my hotel room window in Qui-Nhon. Livin' large baby!

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Oh, and your not gonna chop that windshield and put those shitty-assed "limefire" headers on there. But I already know that...;)

11. Subscribed! Great idea. Just last night I was looking at pics of Ivo's, the Big T, and the aerial shot of the Early Times club gathering, wondering why did T's get so cartoonish and exaggerated? I know Norm's started a trend, but many were nicely done, well engineered, and really drivable - for short distances anyway. Personally, I'm not a big fan of mixing brass, chrome, aluminum, etc. so I like that your swapping the grille shell out. Not a fan of wire wheels either, so you're right in line with what I think a T should look like. I can also live without cowl lamps and the huge tops - just my preferences. Keep up the good work; I can't wait to see the end product.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I don't know if you were with us on this deal a few pages back, but I did a kinda "T-Bucket" timeline as to when stuff went kinda sideways with these cars. It's a bit long winded, so look it up and see if you agree... It's also over on the current page of "traditional T buckets", Harv117 copied it and pasted it over there for me.

13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

IMO,Danny Eichsted's car was the one that really influenced the really extreme seventies T bucket look that I hated. It was already drifting that way, but he really took it over the top.
    I read the rest of the thread, a 3" cut might work, but more than that and it will lose the early sixties look.
    For headers, I would take what you have there, sandblast them, extend the collectors back to the middle of the door, weld a 4 bolt collector flange on, and a drop to a pair of short glass packs under the bed, and paint them white. CHEAP, and would pass for mid sixties era.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Agreed completely on Eichsted's car! Go a few pages back and read my T-Bucket evolution "manifesto" and see if you agree with what I'm spoutin'. I trust your judgment as well.

I'm still up in the air about the windshield cut. On one hand having the height would be very nice for just flat cruising, but on the other hand, well, Just look at Ivo's car! That's only three inches, if I do it, that's what it will be.

You are reading my mind as far as the headers are concerned! Not quite sure if they are going to get caps and under car mufflers yet, or just Straight extensions. Absolutely no turn down extensions though... Later down the line I'll build something a bit more keeping with the time period and crafts manly, but that may be a bit.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I just posted a bunch on the traditional T bucket thread as well, yes, I am pretty much in agreement with your timeline.
    On the windshield, more than a 3" cut, and it starts to look modern. Anywhere from full hieght to a 3" cut is good.
    And, I know its an icon, and JMO, but Leg Show was FUGLY!:eek: Ruined T buckets for a lot of years. In all honesty, I kinda feel the same way about Dan Woods T buckets. Not quite as bad, but heading down the same road. If I found one, I'd restore it, just because it was a Dan Woods T bucket, and I get that, but hell, I'd NEVER set out to clone one of his cars, or build one with a similar look.

16. 2xcrash

2xcrash

Subscribed, Im building one now too but it wont be anywhere near as cool as this, but it wont end up an ulgy duck eather

17. I'm seeing a pattern here...................don't fight the subconscious!!!!:D

I'm sorry, for some of us with certain, shall we say "life experiences", that just sounds very strange (not necessarily offensive, just hard to process). Sort of like your reaction to Eichstadt and Woods creations.:)

18. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well, I dont want to give the wrong impression, I dont group Woods cars in with Leg Show, but uh yea, Leg Show?? YIKES! Just because you can, bla, bla, bla. Just my opinion, but wretched excess usually makes for ugly hot rods. Thing looks like he hit an episode of "The Antique Road Show" And bought every bit of brass in the place, then hung it on his hot rod:eek::D. And those HEADLIGHTS??!!! KEEERIPES!!! (I can see this going the same way as my comments on Watsons Cadillac, but hey, I calls 'em as I sees 'em) I DID say it was iconic at some point (was that on this thread?)
    As for Vietnam, yes, I kinda understand what you are saying. But hey, that was a loooong time ago, the land mines are long gone, and the beachs are a)stunning, and b) practically deserted. Tough to match that anywhere in the world. And besides, the women are HOT. Hell, I married one...

Maybe I should I be bolding my signature line here...:p

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Tiny update for today, almost insignificant. Another reason I got this so inexpensively is that they couldn't figure out how to make it run right. driving it home a couple of weeks ago it started to cough and bang, and I knew it was sticking a needle valve or both. Long story short, I pulled the top off the Edlebrock one day last week cleaned out about a 1/4" of mud from the float bowls. Took everything a part and cleaned it all up, but didn't think to pull the seats out and clean behind them. Cleaned out the tank of "mystery mud", properly set the float height and drop, blew through the lines and put a new filter on. Fired it up and they both stuck wide open again... Dammit, time to walk away for a day or two.

So today afforded the first time I have had a minute off of a customer's project to mess with my stuff, and I went back in. Pulled the needles AND the seats apart, and yes, there was a mess behind those puppies! Blew out every passage, checked everything a second time, and fired her up. BINGO, kinda... it's no longer randomely pumping gas willy-nilly, but as it idles, the venturi on the left primary drips a bit. SHIT!

According to the manual and a couple of threads here, my next step is a pressure regulator. That, of course got me to thinking. How long has the typical Holley type pressure regulator been with us? I have a new one on the shelf, complete with it's little chrome bracket, but is it early enough stuff to hang on the firewall? I can't seem to find any start point of production for these, and I can't identify any in pictures, either. What say you guys? And, for that matter, assuming a mechanical pump, where is your regulator and lines mounted? Show me, please...

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Hey, Louvers, I added your break down of t bucket history to my album. I couldn't think of any other way to save it. I hope you don't mind, but so far, it's the best history I had found. I naturally gave you credit for the work you did.

21. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Thank you sir! I have thought of several amendments to it since I wrote it a few days ago, but I think it's fairly accurate. 117Harv also didme the favor of copying and posting it over on the Traditional T buckets thread.

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If you can't find an older fuel regulator, I'm sure you'll figure out a way to hide it or disguise it. I ended up using a little Mr. Gasket model. I didn't really care about the looks, although it does look nice and it's fairly small. I'm not sure what year they came out, but it looks totally 80's to me and way out of the era you're working in.

23. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I have the Holley fuel pressure regulators too, and I was unsure of there being traditional, so I hid mine in a moon style tank and ran the lines out through the fittings on top.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19&20 2014

Attached Files:

24. I think what would be a period correct fuel regulator would be the round dial type. used them in the 60s and I have one on my roadster now.

25. On radiators. A acquaintance of mine built a track nosed Model A roadster and had a 3 pass radiator made for it. He was running a small Hemi and it kept it real cool.

26. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Chip : "Filto-reg"s were out in the early 60s at least.Look in a old JC Whitney book.

27. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Rolled it out and snapped some happy snaps in the front yard tonight before I pull the brass radiator off and send it to it's new home up in Michigan. The more I look at it, the happier I am with it's profile. I still wish it was about 4" shorter, but I'm pretty sure that by the time I get a proper height grill shell and radiator on this car I'll be okay with the rest of the basic package, lengthwise.

Attached Files:

28. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Just whip out the hot axe and chop a couple inches outta there. Gotta get that "Penry" look...:eek:;)

Just kidding, It looks pretty good as-is. :D

29. Maybe I missed it; but what are your plans to deal with the sprint car headers and late model valve covers?

30. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

The sprint headers are going the get a temporary reprieve and a trip into a buddy's sand blast box this weekend and some white paint. I'm looking at this as a quick means of making them some what presentable until I have time to replace them with something hand made and more age appropriate.

I have my eyes open as we speak for a set of early Corvette script valve covers that I can afford, and I need to find a manifold that has a oil spout boss in the front. Might even go dual carbs on this one, as I have another usable Edlebrock AFB hanging out around the joint.