Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coker tire: Wtf? Fine print!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slick Willy, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

:mad:I should probably defuse before I get myself in trouble with another Alliance Vendor rant but this one really has me miffed and confused!

I will keep it short and as informative as possible...

Just a warning if you plan on building a car and using Coker's products.

I bought a set of Firestones back in the spring of 2010. I waited most of that summer for my wheels to be done. My roadsters suspension was sub par and the car rode shitty for the handful of times I had it out that summer. The summer of 2011 brought horrible weather and that winter I rebuilt the entire chassis..., 2012 personal issues...I have had very little seat time in the car with these tires, probably 2k miles.
    Finally this spring, after an engine rebuild, I got the car snappy as hell but cant reach highway speeds due to an overwhelming shake that has always been there. Long story short:
    2 of my 4 "new" tires from Coker were out of round!! (1) 6-16 and (1) 7-16
    I have had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get any sort of warranty from a supposed lifetime defective policy!
    I had to have them tested at my local shop~ no biggy but that cost me!...
    Then coker says 2 of the 4 they will warranty but not all 4!
    coker sends my rga shipping tags for 2 tires, I would have to pay shipping on the 2 that were somehow "within specs"...I decided to keep those 2 on the car.

SO....
    Today I finally get a call saying...
    " If you want your 4 new tires you will owe 7 hund...."
    I cut the guy off there and got the story straight...
    BUT apparently I have to pay for the cost increase of 2 new tires over the last 3 years in order for them to be shipped to me!!
    That's $60 a tire for those still reading!! $120 bucks to get my warrantied tires back to me!!!

None of these costs were ever discussed when I first started the conversation with Coker.
    I threw a fit, and yes, the amount was reduced, but...

WHY DOES A CUSTOMER HAVE TO PAY FOR A DEFECTIVE PRODUCT??:mad:

Am I the only one that doesn't get this??:confused:

2. Now I know why that guy bought all the porta-walls.

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

Did you deal with Coker directly or a distributor? The distributor will tack on all kinds of extra costs and fees because they aren't being reimbursed by Coker for any of their time or overhead in the process, but Coker should just swap the tires directly. Of course, as John Q. Public, you likely don't have access to Coker direct. I'm guessing it's the distributor you have an issue with... I could be wrong.

4. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Lame sauce. By all means you should bring it up. How else do you get the word out? I always thought alliance vendors were ones that hold themselves up to higher standards in the community. If your thread got deleted for posing a legitimate question, wouldn't being an alliance vendor then be tantamount to them paying protection money? I'm not saying Coker is guilty or at fault, but that policy does sound cruddy at least.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Coker,like all the other tire dealers offer a extended warranty,,obviously you didn't purchase it.

I believe most company's do a prorated deal when it come to age.

I haven't had any problems with Coker but I have heard that there seems to be a problem attached to this particular tire.

I also know that hard compound bias ply tires do ride like radials,,I encourage you to cool down and write a civil letter to Corky Coker,,with dates and numbers.

Ranting and raving will just make things worse and you will never get anywhere.

Good Luck. HRP

6. When I was in the USAF I developed my petty bureaucrat theory. Low level workers don't have the authority to approve, so they seem to feel that they have the authority to disapprove. The way to overcome is to get to the guy who has the "approve button."

7. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Buzznut = COKER directly.

poboyross = nothing political, just my history with A.Vs hasn't been stellar and the boss had been notified. I will probably take this up with him later...

rusty ny= thanks for the chuckle, but these are blackwalls!

8. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

HRP= the prorating comes into play with premature tread wearing, not factory defect which out of round is considered...they are warrantying my tires but I have to pay the retail price difference between when I bought them and now!?

9. Buzznut

Buzznut

I work in tires...sell set after set all day long, deal with road damage, defects, etc... Unless the tires showed obvious signs of impact damage that caused separation, the tires should be warrantied by the manufacturer against defects. Of course, at a certain point it becomes a judgement call, whether or not the driver caused it, and that's when being diplomatic can get you a lot further than being confrontational.

10. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

adjohnston= I got the button pushed just not hard enough...

11. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I thought coker had a warning that their tires were not for intended for highway use or something like that?
    TP

12. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

let me refrain...

I am "ok" with the results I received. I didn't plan on having any out of pocket expense when this all started. If I hadn't been diplomatic and calm it would have cost me a lot to get the new tires...

This post is more of a question of policy that I don't understand...
    and a forewarning to anyone looking to buy tires.

13. I think part of the issue here has to do with the fact that he bought these 3 years ago - I'm curious as to how that would be handled at the tire place you are at?

14. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Well, Don, here is cokers warranty:

TIRE WARRANTY

We want you to be pleased with your purchase, so we guarantee our tires to be free from defects in workmanship and materials for the life of the tread. Adjustment is made on a prorated basis (you pay for tread wear used). We are not responsible for tire and tube failure due to improper mounting, mechanical failure or improper alignment of the vehicle, so keep that in mind before you make a claim. All tires and tubes should be installed by properly trained individuals to keep this warranty valid. Coker Tire does not offer any guarantee of fitment for any particular purpose and limits its liability to the purchase price of the item. Dimensions for tires listed are not scientifically measured and may vary depending on rim widths and inflation. Warranty returns also require an RMA number.

15. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

There seems to be a few problem with out-of-round bias ply tires. It's been going on for years. The cured was tire shaving. Check around your area to see if someone can provide this service.

16. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Also did you let the tires sit for long periods of time without moving?
    They take some miles to drive out the flat spot even after a couple weeks.
    I always try to store my bias ply cars on jackstands if i'm not driving it for a while.
    TP

17. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

They will only shave brand new tires! Sorta defeats the purpose...

18. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Good advice, but yes, the car was either up on stands or wheels off...the 2 in question were close to twice the unacceptable amount of road force.

19. Veronyn

Veronyn
    from kansas

Sorry they're giving you such a hard time. I'll take note not to buy from them because it just seems like a whole lot of trouble for nothing. Glad you're getting some replacements sent to you though, maybe this time they'll work out.

20. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

[​IMG] [​IMG]

21. 94hoghead

94hoghead

22. slowmotion

slowmotion

2 of my 4 "new" tires from Coker were out of round!! (1) 6-16 and (1) 7-16
    I have had to jump through all sorts of hoops to get any sort of warranty from a supposed lifetime defective policy!
    I had to have them tested at my local shop~ no biggy but that cost me!...
    Then coker says 2 of the 4 they will warranty but not all 4!

OK, what'd I miss here? You wanted all 4 warranted, but only 2 were bad?

Just curious, hope it works out for you.

23. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

In CA, the tire folks had to put their tire shavers in storage. The Bureau of Automotive Repair says you can't use them.
    I know an ex-Coker employee. He worked for them his entire adult life. Coker relocated their local warehouse and decided they didn't need him anymore.
    It's possible Coker is hurting, you know. Don't laugh.
    I'm going to ask my buddy what's up.

24. Buzznut

Buzznut

I can understand only 2 being warrantied, however, if they all had the same DOT's and were from the same lot I'd be leery of the other 2 remaining tires.

25. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Sorry to hear about your troubles Bill. I had a similar experience when Coker sent me an 8.20-15 blackwall. with scars on the face. It looked to me like banding marks, like it was on top of the stack on the pallet. Had an awful time sending it back. It all worked out in the end as I'm sure it will for you. I'm hoping to see that roadster some time this summer!!!

26. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

slowmotion= since I had bought all 4 at the same time I originally wanted all 4 replaced. If only the rears were bad I could see it or vice versa with the fronts. Whereas it was one of each size I was leery. Two tested "ok" to cokers specs, so I only persued 2...not that big of a deal.

27. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

right! but they tested "ok" so I have to be "ok" with it...

28. badshifter

badshifter

Seems fair, and right there in writing. They cover the purchase price, not the replacement price. You pay the difference.
    In this goofy hot rod world of ours, we're lucky to have Coker, let alone a warranty. Do you read all the posts with weird crap people do to their cars and the crazy fab that is done? You yourself said you had build issues. Put yourself in Cokers position. How can they possibly evaluate every hot rod, rat rod and shit box that their product is installed on, and blindly stand behind every complaint they receive.
    You don't have to be thrilled, but consider what they have to go through.
    It ain't like putting radials on econoboxes at Walmart for the masses.

29. slowmotion

slowmotion

OK, now I get it. Thanks.

30. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

Thanks, Scott!
    Im sure it will be out soon...even if it has street rod bfgoodrichs on it!:eek::rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.