Register now to get rid of these ads!

NBC News on a Car Auction

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTROD30, Aug 17, 2013.

1. HOTROD30

HOTROD30
    from Marcy, NY

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  2. F&J

F&J

This has been posted on over a dozen other threads on hamb over the last few months....and the cars and trucks that are new, but have been outside, are JUNK. I saw rot in places that rust belt cars don't rust. Bedwood totally gone, not even sawdust remains, interiors wasted, parts stripped, etc

Moisture trapped inside as the doors/windows were never opened, and rust eating away from the insides of all panels. The mechanical parts are more likely all rusted up, brakes, engines, etc.

Hype. There will be a lot of buyers who booked rooms and flights many months ago, that are now seeing the recent new pics of the rusted crap, on the auction house site.

3. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

4. This was funny at first but it's getting old now! HRP

5. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Hey man, I just wanted to make sure that you didn't miss the breaking news about this auction.

6. F&J

F&J

speaking of news, and now TV news ....I have not had a TV since the signal changed years ago. I now see that TV "news" is still not researched, and is misleading, incomplete, dramatic, and spread by uneducated overpaid writers.

Dramatic is : "field of dreams" and "A collectors dream"

That writer also says "he knew how to sell new cars" Well, I guess the fuck not !:confused: How can you not be able to sell a bunch of trucks in corn country?

They should do a story on insanity...storing new cars outside forever, rather than dump them.

7. George

George

You'd think he'd @ least sent them off somewhere to auction back then.

8. F&J

F&J

....and if you read on the auction site hype, the daughter said "mom and dad never took a sick day or vacation day, from the dealership". Wth...if you study wages for a blue collar auto dealer employee in those years, each new unsold car would pay a years salary for another worker.

So, boo hoo they never took a day off. I bet Ma wanted to kick him right in the...;)

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

That is the part of this story I don't understand, dealership had to pay for the new vehicles, but desided NOT to sell them? Thought that was very odd, and thought they were stuffed in a warehouse, but left in a lot to rot thakes a special car dealership owner. Bob

10. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

Hanna-Barbera should have sued GM...
    [​IMG]
    Yabba-dabba-plagiarism?:D
    And didn't I predict on one of these many threads that most of the Seventies cars with single-digit mileage would be demo derby fodder?
    One other thing: Were those pickup trucks delivered with the wood to be installed by the dealer? Seems so strange that there's no evidence of bed wood on any of them.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  11. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

A very strange old man had a very strange chevy dealer
    no floor plan I guess

12. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I'm originally from Columbus, NE. and saw this dealership back in the 90's---the cars at the garage lot and at the house (we did not go to the woods) were already pretty much trashed. UV damage, exposure, etc. I hope some of the guys find what they are after and don't overpay. I won't be going--I'm still ill from the first trip.

13. Six-Shooter

Six-Shooter
    from Ohio

14. George

George

If he was on an island & was the only one licenced to bring in cars it might make sence to junk the cars to force people to buy new cars from him. But where it's a case of just wanting to sell only new cars it's just bizarre, almost a mental disorder to throw away money like that.

15. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

There are a few things about this whole ordeal that are a little strange. Dealers are in the business of selling cars, even if they are not brand new. Why did he/they just park them and do nothing with them ? Also, they said there was a big sign on the door to "go away", or something to that effect. Sounds like the owners got a little weird in their old age. Yeah, maybe they got tired of people asking to buy them, but wouldn't that be better than just letting them rot ?

Must be more to this story that we will never know.

Don

16. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

I go to a place a little like this near me. Same story - dealer took trades, and if he couldn't retail them, he parked them in the woods. Why he never auctioned them, or parted them I'll never know, but some really cool stuff ( I counted 6 Nomads) rotted there over the years.

17. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

A guy I know used to be a road delivery guy and delivered parts to this dealership over the years. He said Lambrecht got in on the ground floor of Hertz rent a car and made serious coin on that investment so it really didn't matter if he sold any of the new or used cars. It is really the only explanation that makes sense. How can you keep 10 new 64 vehicles that were worth around 20k? That was serious money in 64!!!!

18. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

Mainstream media beware, there will be lots of bs and misinformation.