Register now to get rid of these ads!

No numbers on 350 heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tapkoote, Aug 16, 2013.

1. tapkoote

tapkoote

I can't find any stampings on these heads front or back,
    how do I know what this motor is from the out side
    block #3970010 GM18

2. slammed

slammed

In among the valve springs should be numbers.

3. bb55hrt

bb55hrt
    from Michigan

The casting numbers are under the valve cover, between the rocker arms

4. tapkoote

tapkoote

5. 2racer

2racer

In 1968 they made 327's with this casting number but they were only 2 bolt main.

Then from 1969 - 1979 they made 350's with this number and they were either 2 or 4 bolt main.

If it's a 4 bolt main, then you know it's a 350.

To determine exactly what you have, you need the block "suffix code".

It's on the front of the engine, just in front of the passenger side head. It's on a machined pad only found on that side of the engine. Run a search with the numbers you find there for more information.

6. tapkoote

tapkoote

I found the stamped numbers, under paint of course.
    But searching them I'm getting 60's era 283's.
    V0730TXD the T is a truck engine
    C52104844 the C says it's 283
    The guy I bought it from said it was a vett motor.
    Like always -I'm :confused:

7. I think you must be confusing what a suffix is.
    TXD = 1975 350 from a "conventional cab" (truck)

Posted from my office while pretending to work!

8. slammed

slammed

Take down all numbers. Google them. You will find WHAT they are by those NUMBERS not by what someone 'says' they are. As long as you have the #'s in order, there will be no confusion of what they are.........SBC parts. What is your intention?

9. Wooster

Wooster
    from Soso, MS

3970010 is the casting number of the SBC that was in early 70's vetted...350...so the Guy was partially truthful.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

The "010" block could be a 327 ro 350 2 or 4 bolt main. Yours happens to be a 350 from a truck.

Flint
    July 30 1975
    165 hp 4bbl
    C20 to 3500 conventional truck.

And yeah, they're always a Vette engine.

Should check first.

11. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

It's always a vette engine when you're buying it!

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All 010 means is that the casting was intended to be finished with a 4.00" bore.

Not one damn other thing, despite persistent myths.

Drilling and tapping the webs for the other two main cap bolts is a FINISHING process.

13. Wait...I thought all SBCs were vette motors. :confused::D

14. tapkoote

tapkoote

I'd like to identify this motor.
    Might end up pulling the pan to find out if it's 4 bolt.
    That way the young kids behind the counter wont give me that "deer in the head lights" look, they can just fiddle with the key board.
    I guess you guys are right, probably not enough Corvettes made for all these vette engines.
    Thanks Pat

15. Hotrodmyk and I both came up with identical figures. If you would like to do the checking yourself there is a very nice website-- nastyz28 .com that decodes every bit of small and big block chevys. It will also explain that a T in the code can, but doesn't necessarily stand for truck.

At a medium paced walk, a chevy guy will notice the 0010 number on the back of the block and know that 90+ % of the time its a 350 and by the amount of stamping on the plate at the front of the engine that it's not a 283. '67 was the last year for 283s, and they didn't phase the partial vin stamp on the front until '68/69.

So.. back to slammed's question- "What is your intention?"

16. tapkoote

tapkoote

in·ten·tion
    /inˈtenCHən/
    Noun
    A thing intended; an aim or plan: "both countries have declared their intention to be nuclear-free".
    The action or fact of intending.
    Synonyms
    purpose - intent - design - aim - object - notion - idea
    My purpose-intent- design- aim -object- notion -idea, is to identify this chebby engine.
    Is there some one out there who could tell me what these stampings stand for?
    I've googled SBC numbers, been to the z28 spot twice-even joined up so I could use the search function.
    I'm old, getting cranky and am NFG with these computers.
    Thanks anyway Pat
    C52104844 V0730TXD

17. It's a 350 from a 1975 three quarter or 1 ton truck.

That's it. That's what it is. Not Corvette. Not 283. A 350 that originally came in an ugly, square cheby truck. Nothing to be old or cranky about.

Should be a good base for a hot rod build.

I'm happy to decode them, it's kinda fun for me, but if you want to do more go back to that site, click on decode engine numbers. Scroll down and click on the spot that matches what you're looking for- this case TXD and it will bring up an entire chart. Find yours. It will tell you what it came in, what carb, and if manual or automatic and the factory horsepower rating

18. The crank flange will id the engine,GM made all the sbc crank flanges different for factory workers on engine line.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep and for early year Corvettes there are a thousand "Came out of a Corvette" engines for every Corvette built in the year the engine claims to be from.

At any rate a 75 350 out of a truck is a damned good base to build a good small block out of for the street or for performance depending on what heads and cam you run. Freshened up with a good cam and good intake it will make a nice street motor with the heads it has and run on about anything that comes out of a gas pump. I'd be inclined to swap to a pair of Vortec heads and aftermarket intake that matches though. With the early heads you can bolt on a pair of finned Corvette Valve covers if it might make you feel better.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  20. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

010 from the mid seventies are the good , high tin blocks

21. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a myth.

22. RustyPile

RustyPile

I couldn't agree more.. I get so amused when this subject comes up.. Unless you're doing a numbers matching restoration, it doesn't matter very much what you start with. If you wanna be a turd, tell 'em, "Yeah, it came out of a Vette".. If you really wanna set 'em back on their heels, Tell em, " I pulled it out of a clunker I found parked in an alley.. Drug it home, carved all the Slow off it with an axe.. Painted it with 2 coats of Fast and drove it to this show.. You got something you think will out run it??

Rustypile

23. tapkoote

tapkoote

HAHA
    you guys crack me up, OK not so grumpy now.
    This block is in a 49 chev i brought home two days ago.
    The guy set it up as a Friday night cruise for burgers.
    I'm a street and strip guy, but told old to race on the street.
    Not into static displays. It will hit the strip, a bit.
    I just don't want to shoot my mouth off about my vette engine and find out it's out of a WWI bi-plane.
    I don't really care if it's a marine engine, I thought if it was vette it'd have a 4 bolt main and maybe a cam.
    I figure the manifold might be wrong it's a two barrel, but on a truck it probably was.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Four bolt mains are over-rated. If you were planning on making enough power to "need" a 4-bolt main block, you would be better off with an aftermarket block.

Get a dual-plane manifold, 4-barrel of your favorite flavor, and a mild cam, and then drive the wheels off of it.

25. tapkoote

tapkoote

That sounds like a plan but dual plane manifold is a new one on me.

26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

GM must have a vette at the foundry that every small block is placed in, then put into
    whatever vehicle they need it for. I mean not everyone selling an engine could be a liar
    could they?

28. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Nope, not a chance...

29. Even IF it were a corvette block, doesn't mean it would have been 4 bolt mains.

30. snaptwo

snaptwo

Many myths about the 4 bolt, one being that all GMC trucks were 4 bolt 350's , never had any proof of that, perhaps in 3/4 and 1 tons . I have a 010-020 and by the numbers it's supposed to be a 4 bolt --not--!2 bolt /cast crank .