Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bodie, CA - MUST SEE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chopperman, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Chopperman

Chopperman

If you are ever in the area or have the means too see this place you should. Bodie, CA is one of the largest ghost towns in the country. It is pure awesome. The town began as a mining camp in 1859 and and was pretty much abandonded around 1912 or so. The town still had residents all the way through the early 40's. At it's peak it had up to 10,000 residents and 2,000 buildings.

It is littered with dozens of cars and trucks, some as they were when left and others that have been picked aprt over the years. VERY COOL.

I took like 200 photos, but here are just a few, there are alot of "non-car" photos in here, but you really need to see those to get the feel of the place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Chopperman

Chopperman

3. Chopperman

Chopperman

4. Chopperman

Chopperman

5. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Totally cool. Alot of usable stuff still sitting around. Post more please......

6. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

yeah very nice..a few more wouldnt hurt

7. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I know a couple people that would love to get thier hands on that sport coupe roof!

8. Chopperman

Chopperman

Just lying on the ground
    [​IMG]

9. Chopperman

Chopperman

Spotted this in the stamp mill's machine shop. Very evident NOTHING went to waste.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  10. Chopperman

Chopperman

11. oldnuts

oldnuts
    from nebraska

Cool pics. It's really cool that its remained in that condition for that long with out vandals and theft ruining it for everyone

12. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

because anything that is taken from there brings the person who removed the object, bad luck. Look but do not take.

13. Chopperman

Chopperman

14. Wow, great photos. That '37 Chev I've seen before in photos. Help set the scene for me, what was the temperature when these photos were taken? Thanks for posting. -H.R.D-

15. Chopperman

Chopperman

Inside one of the main street shops
    [​IMG]

16. Chopperman

Chopperman

in the 90's. Elevation is around 8,400 so the air is really thin, walking around this place took a toll on us all.

BTW - this place was made a national landmark in 61' and a state park in 62'. It had a caretaker through the mid 40's but after that the vandals had fifteen to twenty years to pick it apart. Most of the real HEAVY stuff still sits though.

[​IMG]

17. Chopperman

Chopperman

18. Outstanding!!

19. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

20. 3onthetree3

3onthetree3
    from Saugerties

A buddy of mine was named after that town, and now runs a Hot Rod Shop in So Cal. Bodie Stroud of BS Industries. His folks must have loved the place....

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for posting the photos! Please post more if you have them. Bob

22. Nice crank!

23. exterminator

exterminator

Went there in the late seventies.There was a park ranger there so the big items remained there.Thats good thing.

24. ruralrod

ruralrod

Been there many times. Jeeping in summer snowmobiles in winter. There's been a ranger there almost every time. My buddy got a ticket once ripping around too close to structures on his snowmobile.

25. In about 1930 my Mom and her family lived in Bodie for a couple of weeks. It was during the depression and they were trying to eke out a living. My grandpa gathered up scrap metal in the truck and hauled it back to LA to sell it. He left Grandma, my mom and her sisters to live in one of the old houses there while he was gone. My Mom died in 1998 at 80 years old but she always had clear memories of the time she spent in Bodie.

26. BOERNESTAGE

BOERNESTAGE

Its an incredible place , been there twice and picked up a book on the place the second time, just finished it, unbeleivable stories. A very unmolested place, and a real eye opener as to what life was like in the pioneer days.

27. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Just had lunch in Bridgeport two weeks ago but, as usual, no time to go see Bodie. One of these years. Thanks for the pix.

28. NealinCA

NealinCA

Started going there as a kid...been a while since I've been back. I need to take my kids there. Thanks for the pics and the reminder.

Neal

29. vilanar

vilanar
    from Finland

Awesome , I just did search in Wiki and I just cant believe my eyes.
    I´m driving by in October and I must see this place in person.
    Without your post I would have miss it ( never heard of Bodie)
    so thanks for posting.

Ari

30. big M

big M

Definitely worth the trip. Most ghost towns in the west have been completely obliterated by scavengers, collectors, etc. but Bodie has been preserved in an arrested state of decay for people to enjoy. Most of the items in the buildings are exactly as they were left when the last folks moved out in the '30's and '40's.

---John