Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ram horns vs. Block huggers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Br8kNek, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Br8kNek

Br8kNek

So I finally decided to go with a 350 SBC in my 54 Bel Air, even though most of the responses to my query said to stay with the original inline 6. My decision was based on cost, reliability, and ease of finding parts.

Anyhow, Ive started getting all the parts together and I'm trying to decide between block hugger headers or ram horn headers. I know that with a V8 in my 54 its going to be a tight fit. I have a Mustang II and custom steering linkage.

My question is, which provides more clearance, power, better sound, etc? Will I need a mini starter with either of them?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

1Nimrod likes this.
  2. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've been using the ram horns from Speedway on several cars I have built. They tuck in toward the block which helps steering clearance. They are quieter than headers. I always use a Powermaster mini starter but I think a stocker would fit.

3. Buzznut

Buzznut

Block huggers get extremely hot, make spark plug changes difficult, don't always clear everything, and like any other header, will leak...it gets annoying. Rams horn are a better choice IMO. I have 2 1/2" Vette rams Horns on my 400+hp 327 and it breathes great and runs hard.

A stock started fits fine with the Vette Rams Horns...

The exhaust system is responsible for the ultimate exhaust sound, not the exhaust manifold.

4. The block huggers are lighter but imo the vette rams horns look way cooler.

5. I'm livin that right now. I'm running the same setup, 54, MII. I went with the rams horn. The area between the frame, manifold, and steering shaft is pretty tight. I've had to do some "adjustments" to get it where I'm comfortable. For me the traditional look is worth the effort.

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw a photo of a little yellow Deuce 5 window with ramhorns that was taken at Bonneville this past week and my first thought was that there was a car you could jump in and drive for miles on end without a hassle. I'd say that if the rig is intended to be a long distance road burner the ramhorns would have the advantage.

1Nimrod likes this.
  7. Br8kNek

Br8kNek

Hey Dutch54

Do you have any pics of your ram horns installed? Would like to see how tight of a fit it is on both sides. Would greatly appreciate it.

1Nimrod likes this.
  8. Are you guys talking about the "ram horn - style" manifolds Speedway markets or the original ram horn manifolds?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Seepwater

Seepwater

10. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

speedway sells both kinds of cast iron manifolds...

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

i use the vette ram horne on my coupe cause that is the way it was built. had em powder coated to match the alumn. heads. looks great & never had any leaks. even with angle plug heads the plugs change very easy.ive had a lot of guys say they wish the had not gone the header route due to leaks..................

12. The Bomber

The Bomber
    from mass.

I had block huggers on my car, went back to ram horns. No more problems, staying where they are. You won't regret it.

13. BAD PENNY

BAD PENNY
    from mass

Here's a shot of my motor with the GM "ram's horns". They fit pretty tight and look good IMO. Except for the damn 1800 Deg. VHT paint that has flaked off twice !!!!

DSC00986.JPG

1Nimrod likes this.
  14. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Same here, ram horns fit well, no leaks no BS. Also this is 2 year old VHT. Blasted then, baked in an oven and then installed them a few days later. No fading or flaking.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  15. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I save this picture that I got somewhere. It shows how I want my engine to look. I think the stock ram horns from a 68-72 Chevy truck have the turn up like this to clear the steering shaft. I remember my old 56 Chevy had a 58 corvette engine in it and the ram horns went straight down into the exhaust pipe. I don't think you can beat a good looking set of ram horns.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and pecker head like this.
  16. i ran into a header issue to with my build,nothign would fit between the frame and my steering/clutch likage so i am going over teh frame and out the bottom of the fenders

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

That is a nice looking engine. Does / did anyone ever made a cast version / look-alike that wasn't so heavy? Gary

18. Man I'd like to find a set of these...The best I can make of the casting number is 3932473 (?)
    Online application charts show '69/'70 Chevy "B" body, 307/350" for that number..
    Anybody else got more info on this type of rams-horn manifolds...

xhotrodder : Can you look @ the casting number for the manifolds in the pic you posted???

Attached Files:

pecker head likes this.
  19. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Heavy? They're tiny compared to the manifolds on many engines! :confused:

If they are a bit heavy I can personally deal with the weight no prob.
    I mean...LOOK at them!
    They're beautiful!
    Block huggers are like costume jewelry...cheap looking and blingy...besides the issues they have in use.

20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ I certainly agree, they sure are neat looking. Gary

21. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

1Nimrod likes this.
  22. USA Tires Sign Joe

USA Tires Sign Joe
    from Western NJ

Ram's horns look great and are unique, everyone has block huggers.

23. belair

belair

the older I get, the less I like headers

24. dan31

dan31

I got block huggers on my 54 (mll,sbc)and had to go with a mini starter which keeps on getting cooked .ram horns look cooler...now you got me thinking.

25. Same here. My 54 has cast manifolds.

26. amadeus

amadeus

I might have read wrong , but when you click on the price list for the extrude honing it has $700 dollars plus to extrude a set of V8 manifolds!!
    Damn!! That's expensive!

27. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I am trying to put together a car that would have ALL the parts available for that period, being early 60's. Block huggers that we see today were not around. The only header I would consider is the old Hedman headers, they are cool and period. And NO, this is not my car!

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. In the chevy parts interchange books the above info is correct for driver side turnback manifolds. The '68-'72 chevy trucks had a turnback manifold on the passenger side. These as a pair on Fords from '35-'40 with MII type front suspension work really well because you can run the exaust through the frame. You can also use the '68-'72 truck passenger side turnback manifold on '35-'40 fords with stock type suspension on the drivers side. It points forward which allows the exhaust to go around the steering box and then back towards the back of the vehicle. They make repops of the passenger side truck maniflod but most have threaded A.I.R. bungs in them. I have not seen repops of the '69-70 car driver side turnback ones but thats not to say they are not out there. Below is a picture of the truck manifold I am using on my Model a build.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
    1Nimrod likes this.
  29. stimpy

stimpy

sandblast the paint off and try the antiseize coating trick , they look nice after its cured and is very durable too .

as for choices , I like the rams horn , more durable than the headers , and one guy at the race track found his car performed better with them than cheap blockhuggers , and there quieter under the hood and no exhaust leak ticks that you get if the flange warps on the Block huggers, as for exhaust note , the RH have the pop sound to them not like the headers which is smoother .

30. It's not that I don't like the rams horn exhaust but when you are able to score a free set of block hugger exhaust because the guy wants chrome it's a no brainier! HRP

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.