Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wiring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jbuhl1954, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Jbuhl1954

Jbuhl1954

Anybody used the American Autowire power plus 20 kit!!! Just really weighing my options!! Any advice or knowledge would be appreciated!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Jbuhl1954

Jbuhl1954

Nobody can help???

3. I am doing a 55 nomad as we speak. What do you want to know?

4. I've used some of their components-ign switch, remote cut off, had good luck with that. Check with "Tugmaster" (?) here, I think he's a Rebel dealer.

5. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Take a look at the ENOS kit.
    One guy assembles everything. It's a nice assembly. Two things I like about it -

1. The wires are NOT preinstalled. 2. the instructions are very clear, easy enough for a dummy like me to understand.

I like that the wiring isn't preassembled. This way, if you cut a wire too short...you don't need to "splice" a new section on....just replace the whole thing..! If you decide you want a larger or smaller (?) gauge wire...again, no splicing, replace the whole wire, etc., etc.
    Like most other kits, labled every few inches on each wire. The better insulation used in most of todays better kits.

As for the instructions, VERY easy to follow. Each circut is on a seperate piece of paper, very clear, easy to "see" what goes where.

Another thing, is the horn relay on the fuse panel. Makes things a little cleaner under the hood.

The fuse box is a little longer thAn most, and in my Stude a little tuffer to mount cleanly, but with all of the other plusses, this isn't a concern.

Take a look, you might also think it's a good way to go.

Mike

6. luckystiff

luckystiff

We are dealers for American AutoWire, Ron Francis, and Haywire. They are all great kits. A little info on what it's going into and what all you want to run will possibly help guide you to a solution.

I find the Ron Francis kits to be VERY user friendly. The Haywire is probably close behind and is mostly what we use in the shop.

feel free to pm me here or call me at the shop(704-462-1051) and we'll do all we can to help...ken...

7. banginona40

banginona40

I used an American Autowire kit in my '40 pickup. It had all top quality parts and a notable difference is that the different circuits plug in rather than all of the wires being directly attached to the fuse panel. The tech support was also very good.

8. I have used the highway 15 kit in 4 of my cars,,helped wire 6 others with this same kit,,I won't use anything else.

I've used rebel,haywire,Ron Frances and a few lesser known kits,,I've also made my own years ago.

The Amercian Autowire is a little more expensive than some but it has everything you will need in the box. HRP

9. cryobug

cryobug

I have installed about ten EZ wiring kits and I think they are great, especially for the price. The insulation on the wire won't burn either, if you ever have a problem later you don't have to worry about a fire.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  10. my2nd40

my2nd40
    from Tennessee

I've used American Autowire. I find them to be a good quality product. They have detailed instructions, quality connectors and wire, and nothing else to shop for. I just tape the instructions to the wall in order of the install, package A,B,C, etc., and check them off as I go. That way if I have to take a break from wiring for a week I know exactly where I got to.

11. thebronc4019

thebronc4019
    from New Jersey

I have wired two of my projects with American Autowire harnesses and I am impressed with the quality of the components. They cost a bit more than some other brands but I think the money is well worth it.

12. Jbuhl1954

Jbuhl1954

Thanks alot for all the input fellas!!!

13. Leebo!

Leebo!
    from Yale OK

Jbuhl,

Take a look at Rebel Wire. They are a big supporter here on the HAMB. I have installed 3 of their kits, and found them very user friendly, as well as very cost efficient.