Register now to get rid of these ads!

is a mockup build prior to the final build a NECESSITY?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wex65, Aug 14, 2013.

1. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I am feeling a little torn here. First, context. I am building a '30 coupe, nailhead, 32 rails etc.

The frame is going together nicely and I am adding brakes this/next week and at each stage I am left wondering whether I REALLY have the time to build this (mock up), strip it back down and build it again once everything is painted/coated etc.

I know this will have the usual suspects post their 'if something is worth doing, do it right' but in the real world most of us live compromises sometimes have to be made. I run a business and time spent on the rod is sometimes hard to come by.

How truly awful a method is it to simply build it, coating as I go. Are there are any major pitfalls I need to be aware of.

Again, I DO realize the 'ideal way' is to mock it up, strip it down, paint and rebuild.

<puts on flame retardant suit> :p

2. shadams

shadams

I know that I have a hard time doing it twice, but what sucks worse is having to redo twice as much work. In the end I just deal with my bad decisions or celebrate getting lucky and not worry about it...

3. 4444Design

4444Design

i did not build my own modified car yet but did some motorbikes already and i remember when i bought that tailfender and asked myself twice wether to mock up that thing just to see wether it fits or directly slam some paint on it and assemble it afterwards ...

paintjob came out nice but the fender just didn't fit

i had to weld 3 dislocated holes on the fender and drill 3 new - and off course redo the painting

finally it cost me twice the money and also twice the time it would have taken if i mocked her up first

so for me that's my reason to never paint any parts without "dryfitting" or mockup

4. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Yes , mock up ,tear apart, paint, assemble again.
    That's they way we do all of them.

5. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I dunno know any other way to do it. You need to fabricate certain parts, test fit, modify, change this, change that, etc. How do you do all of this, paint the parts, then assemble without knowing that it will all fit and work as intended?

6. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Nuts... (or as we say , bollox!)

I think I just needed to hear it said a few times.

Thanks guys,

7. Depends on your definition of Mock Up.
    I have built MANY cars from the ground up. On some builds they are very similar to others so I know what works and what doesn't. On these I will mount the body, running gear, steering etc as it usually involves welding, grinding, massaging etc. But I do not build a compete running car. I then blow it apart for painting plating etc.
    On something that is a bit more radical, or that I haven't done before, I will will build a complete running and driving car, put some miles on it to look for potential problems and Then blow it apart for paint etc.

8. For a guy who changed frames
    Willing to fly across country to look at one to be sure it's right,
    Getting 3 sets of inner fenders

Man I think you would see the value in doing a mock up first, then an actual build, then take it apart and paint it and put it together for real.

You could just build it and show everybody how silly they are for building it twice.
    I don't know, give it a shot.

9. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Don't think twice, Don't primer, Don't get meticulous, get some Black spray paint, paint what needs paint only. Gloss Black. Do it today & put it behind you. Start driving tomorrow & start having some fun. WITH NO PAINT WORRIES.

After a year or two shake down & you're coming off your High, you could paint it Champagne like mine. And make sure you paint the frame the same color it'll look like one complete car not pieced together.

10. wex65

wex65
    from WV

ok, ok...point taken. :D

11. Be careful
    I did a mockup and shakedown run 8 years ago, havent gotten around to blowing it apart again for body work and paint yet.

12. compromise time = compromised result.
    although... there are some "shortcuts"; painting the inside, jambs and bottom of the body and the frame and bolting the body down will save time and room. but if you have to change something the paint in those areas will have to be touched up. just remember doing this with things together makes it hard to get the paint perfect.

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I helped build a Triumph chopper and it taught me that fabricating everything to fit first was the only way to go and actually saved time and effort.

Do it right and have no regrets.

14. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

YES, a mock-up is necessary. Do you REALLY want to spend the time & money for a nice paint job and mess it up when the final assembly doesn't go quite right? If nothing else, it'll help you identify problems in assembly and give you a chance to figure out a better way to do it.

Do it twice - do it right !

15. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Ok, just to clarify. I was more referring to the frame build (painting backing plates etc), not final body paint but again, thanks for the feedback...

16. yblock292

yblock292

done them both ways, but any of my builds now are total mock up, tear down, paint and put back together. Its just a nice feeling to know when you go final assembly everything fits and works.

17. pitman

pitman

If it's complete new build, as in a first timer, you can touch up and get it together to run for a time, 1-2 years even. Then you can tweek the build when life gives you a little time for this endeavor again. Winter driving, dampness, rain, salt, all conspire
    so eventually it will need to get fluffed and buffed.

18. D-man313

D-man313

I mocked mine up completely minus running wire, brake lines, fuel lines, etc. Blew it all apart, painted and then reassembled. There were times when I would prime something, and then forget that it needs minor modification and I would have to prime it again. I wouldn't want to do that with paint. Especially if it was a high dollar paint job.

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I have NEVER seen or heard of a random collection of parts going together without some sort of modification along the way. I think if you sit down and put some thought into this, you'll realize the smart and cost effective way is to mock up, check for fit, take apart, paint and then reassemble.

There is NO short cut and you can spot the builds that tried it at car shows everywhere. Ever see a car that doesn't quite look right? That's from screwing up and going with it. Funny, sometimes the guy will actually tell you that's how he planned it. Crooked fender and all.

20. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

But you don't know why it's the ideal way because your project is not done. You will ALWAYS run into an issue that requires modifying something or changing assembly's. If your paint is done it means screwing it up to fix the issue. Worse case you will find that your whole plan was flawed and you have to completely disassemble the car and make changes. But you need to discover this for yourself, so party on Bart! Get them sockets spinnin! :D

21. AZbent

AZbent

I worked part time at a place where we restored/modified Luscombe planes, we always mocked up before paint. And we always built award winning planes at the fly-in shows. You can do some assembly without mock up, but it is best to mock up.
    Mark

22. pumpman

pumpman

I feel your pain, after years of finding parts for my 32 I finally succeeded. 5 weeks ago I did my mock-up and I'm pretty happy with but will do some minor tweaks. It has become difficult to rip it all apart again for the final build. It's been apart so long and now I can enjoy looking at it, sitting in it which makes me really feel good. Next week she comin apart for the last time. With that said I'm glad I mocked it up because had I not I won't have been 100% happy with the result.

23. wex65

wex65
    from WV

Thanks guys for not tearing me a new one. I am sure many of us had similar thoughts on their first build. Glad I was able to see through it and plough ahead.

Mockup it is...

24. I asked myself that question on my first ride. I wound up putting everything under primer and drove it for season. Tore it apart during the winter and finished off everything. Glad i did

25. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Hammering the painted surfaces to make the doors fit better never really was much fun. Not really a cool look either. How do you think I know this?? Anyone? Learn from my pain. Mock it up. It goes fast pulling it down and re assembling it, way faster than ruining it.

26. If it's worth doing....:D

Usually something is going to change and once everything is mocked up it takes very little time to blow it apart. HRP

27. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Our rules stipulate 3 x stages . At each stage there is an inspection to ensure all rules and safety standards are met along with sound engineering principles, welding etc. Rolling chassis, rolling chassis with body and final inspection for registration. Attention is paid to everything. Do it once, do it right . We are used to this process because if you don't follow the rules and jump through the hoops you won't get to enjoy the fruits of your labour.

28. No question. Mock it up and do it right. Otherwise it'll bite you in the ass later.

29. JEM

JEM

We all want to just get the f'in thing finished.

And we all want to take shortcuts.

And it always bites us in the ass every time until we learn to stop doing it.

But it's really hard to learn not to try shortcuts next time.

I think the last twenty years of my life has been progressively looking for simpler project cars that should go together easier, yet in the end doing it right always means the same process.