Register now to get rid of these ads!

rochester tri-power wont idle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bgaro, Aug 2, 2013.

1. bgaro

bgaro

the large vacuum hose is hooked to pcv at the back of the motor. it tees of to my vacuum wipers, i plugged that thinking it might leak there, no difference. i still feel like there is an issue with the center carb, i'm gonna send out and have it checked again. then hopefully it'll run enough to check for vacuum leaks. i'll keep dickster in mind, if this doesn't work.
    thanks everybody for the support.

2. bgaro

bgaro

hold on now, i found something. i pulled the carb and noticed (in the sun light) junk in the fuel that was in the bowl. my guess is bits of teflon tape. i'm gonna blow everything out and give it a try. as far as the carb, i wanna make sure i get all the passages, any advice? i'll change the plugs and put in a filter on the pressure side too.

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

It only takes a very tiny spec to mess up a carb. You might be on to something. Pull the top off and clean out the bowl and blow out the jets with compressed air.

Don

4. bgaro

bgaro

well, the carb checked out OK, so i went and changed out the points to a pertronix II. adjusted the fuel pressure down under 3lbs.............and whammo, she runs and idles. i'll blame it one the chinese (points) rather than my own incompetence.:D i did make some aluminum plates for the outer carbs, and will get to those after break in. thanks for the support.

5. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

I recently started my 33 Chev with tripower for the first time and had idling issues as well. The front and rear carbs had no fuel running to them. The car would idle about 15oo rpm with the center carb throttle plates closed completely.

I ordered some DAG213, painted the throttle plates and bores, let it dry good and reinstalled the carbs. Now the car idles good, runs much cooler and now I can adjust the idle down to 900 or so. I just had throttle plate sealing issues. I don't have a fuel pressure guage installed so I don't know what tat could be running. I am using a 40987 mechanical pump.