Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. farmer12

farmer12

Here's a better shot.

Attached Files:

2. farmer12

farmer12

Yes I did remove it. I figured that it would only create a place where dirt can settle, water and eventually rust. It also looks cleaner now. I did get the tag off in one piece and is now hanging around my neck.:D:D:D

3. Hogman

Hogman
    from Dallas, TX

I have been following this thread for a while and I must say you're building one of the best customs on the planet! Great to see some color at last. Hope to see this car in real life when it's finished. AWESOME.

4. speed v8

speed v8

Coming along nicely! Can't wait to see this custom finished.

5. farmer12

farmer12

I had a spare few hours this morning, so it was time to take the engine and gearbox out of the chassis. With a borrowed little crane, I got it all set up and called my son for a little assistance. (it was time for him to get up anyway:D) As I increased the tension, it all went smoothly for the first 20 inches until it suddenly dropped 2 inches. After a small heart attack, I realised that one of the ropes had tightened a little further around one of the engine mounts. Luckily no damage whatsoever, just scary. The rest of the operation went smoothly. Re-installed the chrome intakes and gave the engine a quick clean.

Attached Files:

6. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Man that engine and tranny combination is purty!

7. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the kind words gentlemen, it is appreciated. More progress early next week.

8. n847

n847

Man I threw up in my mouth a little just reading about pulling that engine! Looking good as usual! This is the best part of the build!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. farmer12

farmer12

Dismantled all the stuff on the chassis and mounted the steering support. Had to lightly grind the bottom of the left engine mount in order to create a little more clearance. Perfect. :D More chassis work tomorrow.

Attached Files:

10. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

I believe you should move the support bearing as close to the center joint as you can. In it's current location the center joint will want to bind under load. Works really good and smooth now but load that bad boy up with the engine and body and it will feel "lumpy" and bind up.

11. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks for the advise! I did try to move it in closer, but then the angles were all wrong, in combination with the header clearance. For now it behaves fine, and like you said, under pressure it may be different. Should it bind up during the first few test runs, I can add a second one behind the 2nd and 3rd joints. Thank you for thinking along!

12. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Great progress, nice to finally see some color on the rear axle. Following this thread closely!

13. farmer12

farmer12

Been doing a lot of chassis work the last couple of days. To start, I've cut out one of the cross members as it wasn't square with the rest of the chassis. Just finished welding it back in place again. Next was the front member. It is just too heavy and didn't give me the required clearance with the lower radiator valance. A round one is now in place, lighter and better looking. Then it was the front airbag clearance. With only one mm before it hit the chassis, a circular piece is now welded in, giving it 10-12mm of clearance. Much better!

A big thanks to my buddy Jaap who came over this morning for a helping hand. Final welding and clean up on monday. And then, it's off to the sandblaster! Finally!:D:D:D

Attached Files:

hemi v8 likes this.
  14. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Mick!

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I thought that front crossmember looked pretty heavy, (it might make a good battering ram :rolleyes:). No doubt the round one will be an improvement. Its good to see that you're able to fine tune the frame and chassis before it goes to paint. I hate having to go back and disturb brand new paint because of something that I overlooked and wasn't just right.

16. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks OahuEli. The round cross member is about 4-5 kg's lighter, so that's an added bonus as well. Even though you try to think of everything before paint, I'm sure I'll be drilling a hole or two somewhere afterwards. It's perhaps inevitable, but I think the trick is to try and keep it down to a minimum.

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Nice progress again,Eric!
    I guess you'll have a roller pretty soon..

18. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Antti! A roller by the end of september for sure!

19. farmer12

farmer12

After another morning of welding and grinding, the chassis is finished! Loaded it on the back of Jaap's truck and dropped it off at the sandblaster. Yes.:D

Attached Files:

20. Bart 56

Bart 56

Nice

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you my friend!

22. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Funny how there are so many steps to putting these things together.
    Good that you are willing to take yours apart and do it right.
    That engine slip is definitely a heart skipper!
    TP

23. farmer12

farmer12

You're right Zibo. The amount of steps can be overwhelming at times. But at a certain point during the build, I realized that by taking it one step at a time, it all becomes logical. Take your time, think and build. Don't focus on all the things that still need to be done, just focus on that what you're doing at that present moment. Seems to work for me. Oh yeah, and being patient helps too.

24. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Are you going to powdercoat the frame?
    If thats the plan,dont forget to cover the the threads on the frame with bolts..

25. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Looking real good. I echo the advice above. Cover any threads with Bolts if your Powdercoating.

26. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

That is exactly right!
    There are times when I realize what I need to do (and have already done)
    and have one of those holey chit moments!
    Sometimes that makes it hard to figure out what project to start that day.
    If I'm in that state I'll start cleaning the garage a bit,
    which helps organize my head a bit,
    then finally I'm ready to tackle whatever it is.
    Yeah it takes a nutcase to do this stuff sometimes!
    TP

27. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks guys. What you're saying is correct. BUT, it will be completely be zinc coated inside and out, before the double powder coating is applied. Meaning that I will need re-thread all the holes, taking off the powder coat layer while the zinc coating should primarily remain in place. The company performing the work have assured me that this minimalizes the chance of rust appearing it's ugly head ever again.

28. metalguy

metalguy
    from down south

Nice work on the chassis. Must be good to finally see some color in a few weeks. So the chassis will be dropped in a zinc bath? Looking forward to see how it turns out. Great work as usual!

29. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Just remembered that a friend of mine used the same zinc/powdercoat method on the balcony support poles.The coater said that your kids wont see any rust spots on them,but its possible that your grankids will see.Time will show was he bullshitting or not,but it sounds really reasonable way to coat stuff like that.

30. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you metalguy. The whole process goes as follows: First to the sand blaster, then it will be dropped in an acid bath, then into water and then into a zinc bath. Which by the way these baths are 12 meters long by 3 meters wide. Don't know the depth, but it's deep. The zinc bath is heated 24/7 at high temperatures. Zinc will also go inside all of the chassis, that's the reason I've drilled so many holes. (for air and acid/water/zinc to escape.) After the zinc is dry, the chassis will be prepared for the double powder coating. The whole process will take about 3 weeks before it's completely done and ready to be picked up. Can't wait!:D:D:D