Register now to get rid of these ads!

235 W/Duals-Wwhere to put the Mufflers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belair, Aug 13, 2013.

1. belair

belair

I got the Fenton manifolds on my 55 Chevy, and it's about to go to the muffler shop. I will be using mystery brand glass packs, no color, packing condition unknown. I want a good sound, and wonder if placement of the mufflers, (fore and aft) will have an effect on noise. I want the burble and the crackle, but not so much the blat. I know certain brands have certain sounds, but I am stuck with the muffler I have. SO-what size pipe and again, where is the best location for the mufflers. Thanks.

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The closer to the engine, the louder, more raspy it will be, more rap, too. I like the old sixes that way. I believe they also sound better with a 1 3/4" exhaust. Though 2" isn't too bad either

3. im running 235 split fenton .. 2 inch pipe . h pipe . Porter mufflers . sounds amazing . you want the mufflers mid car .. remember i have a h pipe too .

4. 'Mo

'Mo

I love that you still have a six in your '55. (Would love to hear more.) As was mentioned, the farther forward the muffler, the louder.

Just for kicks, how about at the back on the driver side, and up front on the passenger side? Bombas often have a muffler on one side only (the straightest pipe), as the bends somewhat quiet the second pipe. I'll bet you won't hear another one like it!

BTW, my Chevy 6 has Fentons, 2" pipes, and custom 14" straight-through (no size reduction) Porters mounted in front of the rear axle. I can't imagine anyone wanting something louder!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013

5. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ran Fentons on a 57 6 cyl, with mufflers and tailpipes in stock locations; Sounded good ! ! !

4TTRUK

6. wolffcub

wolffcub
    from Edmonton

55 235, Fenton headers film aster delta 50 mufflers, H pipe.

http://youtu.be/HNJxQQzM89A

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. wolffcub

wolffcub
    from Edmonton

Flow master. Stupid phone changed that around on me.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. stock location is a good place and 2 in pipes bends best , worked for me in 1963 found a pipe tht fit then and used flex tube
    and beware bad railroad tracks on a real low car , will remove the exhaust system!!!~

9. newstranger

newstranger

Why use mufflers at all? I ran Fentons on my 235 with 1 1/2" straight pipes... Sounded amazing!

10. belair

belair

I was thinking about staggering the muffs. Thanks for the idea. When I get the Thickstun to fit (grinding will be involved, I think) I will post pics. Right now it's just a black (original Texas custom sun burned paint) 210 2 door with 15 inch Americans.

11. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ps; Stock location also means you already have the hangers in place.....

4TTRUK