Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fauxtina paint job on a 63 Tbird

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ace'sSpeedshop, Aug 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquireDon

SquireDon
    from Oregon

I work with Thunderbirds all day long. And this brought a smile to my face. Best thing you could have done with a beat up old '64-'65 T-bird. (Hopefully it's a '65 with '64 fenders,then you'll have disc brakes).

I enjoyed seeing it.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. Fatbob309

Fatbob309

I like it. Not a fan of fake rust but dang... I had to look at the pics again to make sure it wasnt real. Nice work!

3. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

I like it, you did a great job! To each his own!

4. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Larry-
    Go stand in the corner until the patina thoughts pass. ;)

5. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

x 2!
    If it gets the young ones interested in this hobby that we all love it's a good thing. I appreciate when the younger generation has a interest in my ol junk.
    Can't argue with the smile on her face, bet she has one of coolest cars at her school.

6. Christom

Christom

It took 45 years to get mine looking like that - fast work man!

7. very nice work and a lot of it! I yam no fan of rust tho and there is plenty of it round here....

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Show some fucking respect for the young lady.

9. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Beautiful job on that Bird! I love it.

10. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Fauxtina reminds me of model railroading, or model cars in a diorama, where the artist distresses models to appear old and weathered.

It's good artwork, but in the end it's an impersonation. The moment the impersonation is detected, the whole piece loses credibility. As good as the pics look, I think that if I saw the rust was painted on I'd say WTF?

11. monkeyspunk79

monkeyspunk79

The overall look really works, nice job. Tell her to run open headers on the street, drive fast, and get pulled over a lot with that T-bird. That's what used to pass for "cool" back in the day, so she's gotta keep things traditional.

12. This car would be nice with wheels and low stance.

13. Good paint job. Not my cup of tea, but if the young lady like's it all is well.

14. seh

seh

Looks to me like this car lives in western Washington. If so the rust will be real enough in a few years. I like it, it looks good and the young lady looks really happy with it. As someone who did paint and body for a living I can see how much time, effort and cost would be involved in making that car look good with a shiny paint job and dont for a minute believe it would be worth it for a teenagers first car, especially a daily driver. Not saying she would'nt appreciate it and take care of it. There are lots of inconsiderate folks out there who think nothing of flinging shopping carts accross parking lots or slamming their doors into your car. It is a pretty crappy feeling coming out to your car and seeing your nice new paint all jacked up. On this car it just adds character.

But I'm new here what do I know.

15. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

16. Kume

Kume

I am always amazed at how many chaps try and make their cars look brand new with all that shiny paint and chrome - It just looks fake to me.:D

Love your T Bird

17. kracker36

kracker36

Good point---which is more fake?? Making an old car look old or making an old car look new?

18. 1960's C10

1960's C10
    from Minnesota

Super detailed job, looks great....

19. These responses remind me of a car at a cruise night......One couple walks by and looks inside to see many dash plaques...and they say "He really takes this car everywhere":)

The next guy comes by and looks inside and says..."Look how he fucked up his dashboard with all those dash plaques":eek:

Moral.....You can't please everybody!:D

20. lakeroadster

lakeroadster
    from *

Looks good to me, you helped out a friend and her daughter. Sounds like it is all good!

21. pamopar

pamopar
    from Manheim PA

Id give it a second look if I saw it driving down the street, I certainly don't have the talent to do something like this

22. 46stude

46stude

Yea, I know exactly what ya mean. Its almost as gay as guys in the 21st century trying to impersonate the old hot rods from the early days of hot rodding. Hell, some of 'em even buy reproduction parts like valve covers, intake manifolds, or tires. Bunch of fakers. :rolleyes:

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

lmfao:D

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The two best posts of the whole thread. Lol!!! Pure genious, guys.

25. shadams

shadams

:eek: my whole way of thinking was just bitch slapped..hahaaaa..

26. Faux=Fake

Think about it.

27. I thought it would look like crap also, but I must say it does look cool. does this mean I don't have to fix the rust on my A?

28. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I'd argue that it's different to replicate (or reproduce) a style from the past than it is to spray on fake rust. It may be different if you left existing rust in place, or even sprayed some salt water on it to make some real rust.

I mean no disrespect to the artist, just a difference in taste. My opinion is that would be cool in a display or museum. As a daily driver or up close and personal ---if the viewer can "tell" it's an impersonation, then the whole charade falls apart like an actor breaking character in a show.

29. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I really like this, and may have to use the idea on my son's tbird.

I picked it up for his first car to drive at sixteen, he loved it, she served him well, for two or three years, till he moved on when his mother gave him a BMW she got from me in the big D.

I have been looking at his old bird thinking I should repaint it now since the paint job on it looks like someone did it in a field since the day we bought it....but now this idea might be a nice way to save on the paint cost and make it cool.

His hood looks alot like that already....

I say good job on making that a cool and interesting car.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.