Register now to get rid of these ads!

Titling an undocumented vehicle, MA.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roger Walling, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I found this on another site, I hope it works.

PS, Dont bother trying to get a "Street Rod or "Custom" plate, Nobody in the registry, state police or the title div. know anything about them.

Massachusetts
    Went to the RMV to inquire about registering my old car I have had for forty years. This is what they gave me at the Yarmouth RMV:
    [edit]Purchasing an undocumented vehicle
    A customer has purchased an old vehicle for which there is no title, proof of ownership, or any other record. It was purchased from a farmer who had the vehicle for the past twenty years and never bother to title or register it, The buyer wants to title and register this vehicle.
    [edit]Solution:
    The SELLER must provide the BUYER with a signed, notarized bill of sale stating the YEAR, MAKE, MODEL, VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION NUMBER (VIN),SELLING PRICE, AND ODOMETER READING, along with an account of how when and from whom the vehicle was acquired, and the circumstances of where, and to what use the vehicle has been placed during the seller's ownership.
    In addition, either the seller or the Buyer will need to have a "Visual Inspection" (TV-7) completed by a law enforcement agency. At the same time, they must obtain a "Stolen Vehicle Inquiry Report" from that agency.
    The Buyer must then forward the seller's notarized bill of sale as described above, along with the TV-7, the Stolen Vehicle Inquiry Report from a law enforcement agency, and a completed RMV-1 plus the $50.00 title fee, to Auto Theft. Auto Theft will evaluate the information presented, run a check on the vehicle, and if satisfactory, will direct that a Title be issued and sent to the BUYER. Once the title has been received, the BUYER may then register the vehicle.

Get all the documents on line, the registry sometimes don't have them. (even if they know what they are)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

Good luck with the above method. They didn't say how long it takes for the entire process........LOL.

Not too many years ago you had the options of titling only with just a bill of sale, or titling and registering. Both options were on a single Mass RMV application form. They did away with that because it was too simple I guess. If you had an address (property) in Mass you could send them the form with a check and get a 'title only' mailed to you anywhere in the world.

3. pila38

pila38

I just went through the process in NJ last year. It's very similar, with a few different tweaks.

1. You need the bill of sale from who you acquired it from, notarized. In my case, the vehicle had been abandoned on my parents property in northern NJ so I had my father write me a bill of sale explaining this as well as VIN# and odometer reading.

2. I needed to do a VIN# search in the 5 states surrounding mine to be sure it had never been stolen. (This step was actually done first before any other paperwork). All the reports I received back had to be sent in with all the paperwork.

3. I had to fill out all the paperwork to the state of NJ to acquire a title for an abandoned vehicle.

4. I had to have three letters from "uninterested parties" written and notarized stating they have seen the vehicle in my possession for a certain amount of time. (In my case my neighbors had seen the truck in my garage for 4 years, not to mention I had had it for 11 years prior to that).

5. I had to run an ad in the classified section of a newspaper local to my area stating that I was looking to title an undocumented vehicle and including the VIN. If anybody had any claim to it, they would have to contact the state. I had to acquire a notarized receipt after the two week ad to send in to the state.

6. I had to provide photos of all four sides of the vehicle and a pencil tracing of the VIN#. I also provided a photo of the VIN plate for insurance.

7. Not required, but I did it anyway to show good faith, I had insured the truck for 2 years prior, so I included the insurance cards. Anything that I did for this process I did through certified mail and sent all the receipts in with all the final paperwork.

It was a lot of work, but not too bad in all. All said and done it took two months (had a couple drawbacks with the other states. Connecticut DMV really sucks!) and cost me about $250 in fees for all the title searches, certified mail, and new title fee. I registered the truck immediately after receiving the title because we all know how rules for this stuff can change rapidly.

I know this isn't really connected to MA, but I thought I would share. Maybe somebody from NJ will read and be helped out. If you are looking to go this route you have to call the state DMV office for special titles, DON'T go local. The people in this office are very nice, and very helpful. They know exactly what you need.

4. bgaro

bgaro

might just be easier to move.

5. $um Fun

$um Fun
    from Nor Cal

This is crazy. WOW

6. boo

boo
    from stuart,fl.

go to ga. for a visit, take a bill of sale and an address to dmv and get a registration, and then go back and get a title.

7. rld14

rld14

Somebody from NJ just did and hell yes it helped!

Thanks!