Register now to get rid of these ads!

Welder Blues

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Voh, Aug 11, 2013.

1. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I set the tension on mine by pinching the wire with my fingers and adjust till I can stop the wire with a pinch.

2. rustang

rustang

Not too accurate.....

To the OP.... what size wire are you using, and do you have the correct, clean tip on the gun.... As others have noted, your liner could be worn (but if this is a new machine, probably no the case)...

Check how tight you have the spool nut (for drag) in the machine, and check your drive wheel tension (are the correct wheels in place for the size wire you have)?

I think you just need a few setup tweaks...

3. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

tip or liner. You can guy a lubricator sponge from welding shop you clip it on inside of welder wire roller. Put lube on the sponge and it helps make it go through liner little bit better. I have one on my lincoln

4. M224SPEED

M224SPEED
    from Missouri

Love the the tip on using a Cig. filter, I had a few factory ones that came with my Lincoln..............I think your way is a little $$$ saver !!

5. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I'd lean towards the wire speed, but I have a friend who just had to replace the liner in his Hobart for a similar issue. All good recommendations listed.

6. Voh

Voh

Well looked it over tonight and found a couple things. 1) tension was too tight! Loosened that up. 2) when I switch from flux to wire I had to switch the polarity. Apparently I didn't put the nut back on the negative.

All seemed good after those two things.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

When i was learning i had the same issue, now i take a torch tip file and file the inside hole on the tip to bevel the exiting end. If stuff does build up on your tip you can much easily pop it off with pliers and always use nozzle gel. I love using a 110 for sheet metal and i also run my spot welds hotter than you would for a normal weld because you will get a better puddle and a smaller weld to grind off.

8. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

That's a great idea!

9. seh

seh

I'm new here but have been a welder for the last 13 years and have learned a few things in that time.

1) Keep Your machine clean. Blow out the inside and the liner frequently.
    2) If your wire has light rust on it put a small piece of scotchbrite on it and a foam earplug to wipe the debris off.
    3) wire tension- You want just enough that the wire will coil in the palm of your hand as it feeds. A tight pinch should stop it.
    4) Go up one size on your tip. .023 wire use a .030 tip.
    5) Keep your torch wip as straight as possible and don't kink it at the handle.
    6) Coat the cup and tip with liquid graphite (I use "neolube" as that is what we have at work) it keeps the spatter from sticking.
    7) Rollers for solid wire don't have ridges they are smooth. the ridged rollers are for flux core wire. (on my machines at least)
    8) the cleaner you keep your ground the better and as close to where you are working the better.

Good luck hope some of this may help.

10. duke460

duke460
    from Wisconsin

I was having the same problem on my miller 185. Had been using .035 wire for frame work and switched to .023. Changed tip but not the liner. Stitch welding .023 with the larger .035 liner caused to to jam after 5-6 tacks. Bought a new smaller liner and problem went away.

11. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Check all the sugestions, dirty liner, bad tips, or too slow wire speed. All can affect your problem. 110 welders have no bearing on your problem

12. Yeah!