Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Drove right by a Car Show today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Aug 11, 2013.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Driving home from the weekly swap meet I noticed a Car Show in a church parking lot. Looked like a fairly good size event. Never gave turning around and stopping in a thought after 50 years in the hobby, wonder what people outside the hobby think of these events? Bob

2. I try to go to small things like a church car show,at least in my area,they are usually trying to raise money for a project or a member on hard times.

My wife,granddaughter and I went to a local small cruise in last night,,it was threatening rain so very few people showed up,,we were going to eat ate the Mexican Restaurant anyway,,it rained but the old sedan didn't shrink a bit! HRP

3. OldColt

OldColt

I'm not really sure what the general public thinks.
    I talked my in laws into going to a show with me and my wife once. They were hesitant at first, but really enjoyed the show. They mostly related to old cars like Grandpa and so-in-so had in the past. They started going to some car shows on their own after that.

--- Steve ---

4. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

We go to a few cruise ins now, might stop by a car show once in a while, but don't enter anymore. I bought and built my car to cruise, not to sit all day on a hot black-top parking lot. We've already done that too many years. Way too many plastic cars in these car shows now days- boring.

5. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

You can get burnt out sometimes. I quit going to the big car shows for a couple of years. Even quit going to the local cruises. Took our Church starting up its own car show to get me interested back in the old cars. It happens.

6. wex65

wex65
    from WV

I tend to stay about as long as it takes to check out the cars I have an interest in and then leave. Mystifies me how people can spend 6-8 hours sitting in a chair staring at their car. I do realize there is the social aspect but even so, 30 mins chat and I am ready to hit the road.

Church shows really wouldn't be my thing but I am more likely to actually go to a show if it is in aid of something like cancer research etc.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

why not stop at a small local show, church or not, ? some small shows have cool rides that never go to the big shows. a few minutes for a walk through, and maybe take some pics to post here, and be on your way.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've only been in won show and really didn't enjoy it. I go to gatherings and especially benefits and church functions.

9. I guess people outside the hobby would see a bunch of old cars. They dont know the diff between a hot rod, street rod, or a clown car. Proberbly see it as another way to make some $ for a worthy cause. They may be more likely to stop if they had kids with them.

10. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I go to shows and still manage to put more miles on my cars than people who never go to shows. Lots of guys talk about how much they drive their cars, but are lucky if they put a couple hundred miles a month on them. I average 1,000 miles a month on my hotrod, and still take in some shows. And none of those miles are to and from work!

11. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I stop and take PICTURES!

12. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

where in ct is there a weekly swap meet?

13. I like car shows, anywhere.

14. CJS57

CJS57

To answer the OP's question, the people I saw at this exact show (people not involved directly in the hobby) like these shows very much. It was more like a show and shine, only the 2nd or 3rd year at that location.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

It is a great location, they just need to promote it. Please don't get the wrong idea from my OP, maybe I was just tired from walking around at the Swap Meet up the road, and was in the left lane in traffic, just kept rolling home. Bob :)..............Mark posted some nice photos from the meet in another thread.

16. So......you expect people outside the hobby would be on the HAMB,and answer your question? haha

17. Ask yourself what you think about say , a gathering of people for anything non car related . Do you give them a second thought ? I don't . And I am sure they just scratch their heads and wonder why we spend so much time and effort on these old cars . To each their own . We are just the lucky ones who are into this great hobby / passion to create something out of nothing . What say you ?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  18. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i have bought several cars by just setting at shows behind my car. a lot of people know where cars are just setting in buildings and back yards

19. There is a church in this area that has been putting on a car show for several years. A number of my car friends chatted it up like it was a must attend event. So this year I took my avatar and when I arrived I was amazed. Between the new Camaros and new Mustangs and 3 wheeled motorcycles it was a real turn-off. Needless to say I didn't stay and won't attend again.

I fail to understand someone showing up with a new car. It doesn't prove they can build a car, it just proves they can make the payments. What's that about?

20. LittleBritishCar

LittleBritishCar
    from Napa, CA

I have taken a lot of people to car shows who would otherwise not even consider going to one. They all had a blast. I think the most important thing is getting the kids interested. Otherwise, once we are gone the cars will be melted down and the materials recycled to make iPhones.

21. Back in March on a crisp Saturday morning we drove the Ranch Wagon to a show held at a church a hours drive down the road.

We arrived around 10:00 AM and I was amazed at the quality of cars in attendance,,sure there were some odd ball cars but for the most part nice cars.

There were maybe 75 cars there and the entrants were ask to vote for their favorite car,,We were blown away when that announced that Brenda's wagon was the peoples choice! HRP