Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford project Clear Patina or Primer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Aug 9, 2013.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

56Don I was told that also by a knowledgeable old school builder (Frank). I always thought the contrary.

2. F&J

F&J

I'm no expert on any of it, I just say what I saw a young kid. I just can't recall one primer street car in my local area back then. Not that my memory is perfect, but I don't. I do know what my peer group would say about rust, or rot holes or shabby looking; we would not dare be seen on the road.

Race-only was different. If you look in the Cool Car/Square Rollbar history book of New England area 50s rodding, you will see street cars always in nice shape with paint. At the many airstrip drags, a dual use street/race car was also nice, but a race-only trailered car were sometimes pretty ratty looking. I have talked with some of those 50s airstrip racers here in CT. I did not ask about appearance, and they only talked about going faster, and breaking more parts.

A class win is what they were after, period. One of these guys was listed in that book as a class winner at a certain strip, on a certain day, and he proudly mentioned that he was named in that book. I have a couple of his Olds parts on my 32 which I am happy to have.

3. 19-c

19-c

please don't clear coat over the patina. It never looks right to me. Paint it and let the "bonneville" salt go to town on it. That should give you some patina! just my 2 cents

4. I'd follow 56don's advice. That's true old school. :)

5. Ddelrio227

Ddelrio227
    BANNED
    from Tampa fl

Patina is code for to cheap to paint.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Possibly guys in your area were better off financially that the teens in my rural neck of the woods,,very few cars had nice paint jobs and if they did they were older guys.,primer and spot primer was the dress of the day.

There were no rust bucket but these cars were 10 to 30 years old at the time. HRP

7. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

In your original photo there the car has a finish that has almost a green appearance. I really like that deep green tinting look on it. I think I would try to go for something unique like that, maybe add a tint of green to a gray primer and put a flat clear on it. Not a lot of cats will have that going on.

8. captain scarlet

captain scarlet
    from Detroit

I painted mine with DP primer 6 years ago and it is holding up really well.

But it's only primer until I can choose the right color.

9. subneil56

subneil56
    from bristol vt

my vote is for the red oxide with the flat clear to protect ,but i have seen this car in raw steal and it looks petty bad ass as it stands

10. F&J

F&J

Up here, the towns and small cities if you could call them that, were very close together, as it is a small State that was populated in the 1640s right on up.

My HS city was Rockville, where Gene Pitney was from. It was a dwindling former textile mill town, so it was not upscale. If you had a very hot, good looking car in this town, you'd go one town away, heading towards the Capitol of Ct, and that bigger city was where the OP is living, and where Bob Juliano went to HS. More money there, and better cars, and the hangout spot was pronounced DeeCee's. That's were you maybe set up a race.

If you had a tough car in that town, you went to the bigger hangout in East Hartford, where the serious bucks racers hung out, to set up a race on the Berlin Turnpike. That's the final "best of the best cars" location in central CT back then. I stayed in town, my HS cars were not very fast, and I was a quiet, shy kid. Fact:D

11. n847

n847

Primer I guess...but man that looks like a nice car that needs shiny paint!

12. bonesy

bonesy

13. Dave50

Dave50

Well in 56 this is what they did or should I say a guy that had kahoni`s or was really intouch with his feminen side. Car needs paint IMO even if its primer but I would use some old laquer but hey that's me.

Attached Files:

14. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

JOHN DEERE........................but I'd paint it what ever color I wanted if I owned it......it is your car...............DO IT YOUR WAY

15. ElSupremo

ElSupremo

I'd vote for shiny, but if you had to have the 'unfinished project' look, paint it a color of your choice and use a flat clear. At least it's long term protection and can be changed any time down the road.

16. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

Ok, if I get this right you want us (the world as a whole), to tell you what the right look is. un-huh. Well first you need to clear coat it, then sand it and primer it black. Then paint it shiney. Then primer it again in red oxide. Then paint it shiney, again. Then take it down to bare metal and spray with gibbs brand. Then paint it with John Deere blitz black. Then call Rolling Bones and get them to tell you how the hell they make those cars look so damn bitching, and give that a try. But you'll have to wait a couple of weeks cause they are off racing at Bonneville. OR, you could kinda fix it like it was yours and the ideas just came to you in the night.

Vonn Ditch

17. Mac_man_51

Mac_man_51

Is that a paint you mix for a gun or is it a shaker can? What prep is required? I'm looking to paint my car quick for the interim and this would be right up my alley. The paint looks incredibly uniform and doesn't fade like typical flats which is nice to see

Posted using the tubbed Lead-sled with a blower H.A.M.B. App!

18. KOJOMOPAR

KOJOMOPAR
    from BRYANT

Patina
    Patina Patina Patina Patina Patina would fit just right

19. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

You buy it from the local JD dealer, I think it smallest quantity is in quarts, it should be reduced then sprayed on, you dont have to be a pro to work with it. Normal paint prep should do the trick, Can also be used for touch up with a brush for minor nicks and bruises. However no rattle cans available, Larry

20. Mac_man_51

Mac_man_51

Great thanks Larry.
    I'll check it out

Posted using the tubbed Lead-sled with a blower H.A.M.B. App!

21. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Von I see you're new here ( 2 posts) . But most of us consider other Hambers input and advice. I have spoken to the Rolling Bones guys and they are great guys by the way.

22. hallrods

hallrods

23. ~Diablo~

~Diablo~

Hahaha.

24. BONNEVILLE BOB 95

BONNEVILLE BOB 95

IMG_9246.jpg Lil fuzzy, but bare. IMG_8423 - Copy.jpg With rust converter/primer lookin, but not sealed. I say werk out the bugs either bare or cheap clear if you must seal it. Do the body werk,if needed then prime/paint. If ya want the primer look, HRPs trk has been "done" for yrs. and still looks great. My 2ct.

25. ~Diablo~

~Diablo~

Primer it then paint it

26. Christom

Christom

I'd leave it - for now anyway. Prime it later if you get sick of it - that way you get two for the price of one!

27. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

harleycontractor.....I get the input and advice. Yes, you'll certainly get plenty here,my point is, you are the guy to satisfy. I just gathered up all the input and advice and put it in one paragraph, more of a tongue in cheek compilation of what everyone posted. I'm well aquainted with the Rolling Bones crew.

Vonn Ditch (3 posts)

28. 55starchief

55starchief
    from New York

Agreed! Love the bare metal look

Draining the brains of good
    mechanics since '92