Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 32 Ford project Clear Patina or Primer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harleycontracter, Aug 9, 2013.

1. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Looking for the right look. I have my 32 that has been stripped at the time of the chop ( I think). I have panels replaced . So I ended up with light surface rust on the car. A little bit on the newer panels that we replaced. Panels were butt welded really clean. As was the chop. SO I like the look as is but also like something like a red oxide. Building the car on the style of a Rolling Bones car. Caddy motor all old school. May leave interior as is or just put sheet metal panels.

Looking for an old school Bonneville look. Any ideas? Could work either way for me.
    Posting a pic of what the body looks like. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

A car like that deserves to be shiny!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

All old school with a Caddy motor - just the way I would do it. But I would go with primer.

4. 49styleline

49styleline
    from oregon

I'd go with primer.

5. jfrolka

jfrolka

A few cans of GIBBS oil spray on the bare metal

6. Ace'sSpeedshop

Ace'sSpeedshop
    from Washington

I would leave it.

7. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Win win all around! I like the look of primer

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Primer is cool. But after some time it will fade and chalk up. When it does, red oxide primer turns a funky pink color, at least mine did. Something to consider.

9. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

If you choose primer, I would use John Deere Blitz Black, it does not fade or chalk. I have used it on my 32 and it is still going strong after 8 years.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  10. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

the best option is red oxide basecoat with a flat clear, it will last as long as any real paintjob and still have the look of primer without degrading over time.

11. Either's good but seal it if ya don't use primer.

12. Cymro

Cymro

The finish is up to the owner, but the steel does need some protection from the elements, whatever you choose.

13. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

you can always primer later...

14. brady1929

brady1929

15. Crazy, I would have thought every response would be to make it shiny. My opinion is that the bare metal look seems unfinished. I would shoot it in red oxide with a flat clear. It's a good looking car, nice job!

16. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Have to go with Roddin-Shack. The John Deere Blitz Black has worked great for me. Really like the look and NO problems so far. Just my opinion though, do whatever you want it's your car.

17. slowmotion

slowmotion

Scotch-Brite & Gibbs Oil. Sweet ride!

18. I have always loved the look of primer and have sprayed several hot rods various shades of primer over the last 40 odd years,but what would you expect from a guy that goes by the username HOTRODPRIMER?:D

As mentioned in a previous post primer will fade and loose it's nice color and start chalking,,,then it just looks neglected.

I decide to try the Kirker semi gloss black on my Deuce pickup,,it has the low sheen look that I personally like and chalking is a thing of the past,,plus when I wash the truck it looks as good as ever.

We all have likes and dislikes,,the aim on my truck was to build it as a daily driver,,I never took the time to peck out every small dent so a fancy paint job was not going to work for me.

The truck was shot in the semi-gloss black 6 years ago and still looks good. HRP

19. F&J

F&J

A mix of repies here on clear or primer...

The funny thing you guys need to know...I was there on Thursday helping get this coupe to the body guy that will redo the floors. The 45 yr old body guy said "primer", the young 20s guy who might be his son, said "I'd leave it bare look".

There is no definate answer, it seems.

20. Probably because the son has seen way to many rat rods,,they don't use primer or paint!:eek: :rolleyes: HRP

21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

My 2 cents
    If you can finish the body like Bass then leave it real steel but if it needs body filler. Do the body work and seal it up with flat paint if you like that look.

22. F&J

F&J

Hey Paulie...;) I was just thinking about if you do decide on the red oxide look,.... and as you know my life is full of unwanted/outdated things..:rolleyes:

Look what I found in my stash of paint stuff; an unopened 5 gallon can of PPG "old school":cool: red oxide primer sealer that is also straight enamel base. This won't rust through due to the porosity that a laquer base primer has, and won't have the epoxy look IMO.

This will seal good enough for an indoor garaged car that won't ever get a color enamel topcoat. It needs the old fashioned straight enamel reducer, and I looked, and can't find any in the stash.

Once I open this type of can, it can't be resealed, so if you buy new empty one gallon cans, you can take what you need. I just don't know if your guy is willing to spray it, and have his hair feel like cotton-candy.:D

Attached Files:

23. If it had any of the original paint on it I would leave it and clear it,All that rusty bare metal looks Ratty,Primer it.

24. I'm with saltcity or HRP.

Bare usually looks too Rat.

25. harleycontracter

harleycontracter

Frank............Way cool let me keep it in mind and I'll run it by Mark. Thanks !!!

26. bgaro

bgaro

you gotta seal it up, this is new england.

27. slammed

slammed

Nice and shiny. Or fltblk/red wheels/like a bunch of old and new ot cars/trucks/motorcycles/golf carts/bicycles/bbq grills/ect.

28. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Its a real 32! It needs real paint!

29. In the old school that I went to we didn't drive rust bucket cars, we painted them so it looked like we actually cared how they looked. So I would say go with the primer. Shiny later on.