Register now to get rid of these ads!

any sites on "stressing" lettering on a vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskoolshop, Aug 7, 2013.

1. oldskoolshop

oldskoolshop

anyone know of any sites showing the techniques for "stressing" lettering done on vehicles?

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Do you mean "distressing" as in making it look older?
    When I was playing with lettering on my Austin, I simply used 400 grit sandpaper and carefully sanded the lettering after I painted it on. I cut the paper into strips that were close to the size of the letters, and then just gradually sanded it at various spots to get it to look worn through.
    Must have worked, because I kept getting guys telling me they'd seen it run back in the 60's. I finally repainted the car, and did new lettering, as I actually got tired of arguing with guys that wouldn't believe I had just built the car that year.

3. oldskoolshop

oldskoolshop

local brush-master in town told me that just before the paint dries, he uses thinner, to wipe the fresh paint to make it look dis-stressed. any video's out there showing this?

4. ardyboy

ardyboy

my guy uses sign paint and thins it with a little alcohol so the brush strokes look uneven. then I give it a light sanding with 400

5. smitty city

smitty city

my advise would be to get your local "brush master" (or a real signpainter) to do it for you, ask if you can watch, practice on a scrap piece of metal, it won't be as easy as he makes it look and cannot be mastered in a couple of days.