Register now to get rid of these ads!

Popping exhaust

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stubbsrodandcustom, Aug 8, 2013.

1. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I've been trying to wrap my brain around why my 318 Mopar is popping in the exhaust. Truck runs fine and is quick I don't really notice the popping on fwy but hell it rides rough anyways. So unloaded idle and up its popping idle is a bit rich for my liking. Go up to 3k it's more pronounced. Haven't pulled plugs yet. No water in fuel or exhaust either. Has edelbrock 650 mechanical 2nd on it electric choke stage 1 cam stock heads and 30 over rebuild. Stock fuel pump clean filters in fuel lines. Base timing is about 13 degrees haven't checked swing yet. Vacum advance is not hooked up its the jegs dist and tried hooking vacum to it and had no response stumbles a bit going into secondary's also. No intake leaks or exhaust leaks valves and lifters are fine also. Any thoughts ? At idle the popping isn't like a miss on every revolution it's speratic

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Okatoma cruiser

Okatoma cruiser
    from Ms

Kinda sounds like a cam lobe going away -maybe dist cap has carbon tracking. Is it getting any worse? Has the motor been wet? Moisture can cause problems- just idle thoughts while I'm on break.

3. Check your valve train, weak springs worn rockers or shafts. lifters new?
    advance plate moving in the distributor? cross over spark between wires?
    lots more to check.....

4. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Cam has about 5k miles now springs were fine at rebuild time. Before rebuild I was running a stock 2 barrel w points and had no problems. This isn't a real drivability issue but just know that the motor has some more in her. And rich conditions suck trying to tune in a garage. Rockers are 100 percent good and shafts.

5. fsae0607

fsae0607

6. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Well after looking at something and grabbed my distributor it moved slightly. So I took the throttle and moved the timing up until it stopped making noise etc and set the timing that way. Deff seems like its sounding better. Haven't driven it yet but no pops at idle so we will see

7. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

So after all this she leaves me dead on the road and got her first tow truck ride home ever. Pickup wire in dist came off. I don't carry a solder iron. So got that fixed and took her to get the trans for the 1931. Well she wouldn't start at the shop. We got it fired on hopes and prayers and made the 40 mile drive home with no issues. So ordered all new ignition to be 100 percent.i can't have her leaving me stranded. Going to start carrying the old points dist for backup