Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plymouth Questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topless54, Sep 13, 2012.

1. topless54

topless54

I just typed a LONG post and lost it due to a POS laptop. Here's the quick version:

-Where do I get info on decoding 40's plymouth VIN #'s?
    -Are the flathead 6's worth anything but scrap? It's locked and I plan on v8 and automatic. I'd rather somebody get good parts than just sell the weight.
    -Was there a Special Deluxe Coupe in 41(with the long quarter glasses and back seat)?
    -Is there any sort of split year/body? The title matches the tag (tag is definitely original to the car). I think there was a typo at the DMV as it looks to be 46-48.

I'm new to Plymouths so I'm learning from the ground up.

2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The long 1/4 glass and back seat became available with '42 models. Both coupe styles continued post war.

Post or PM me the VIN and I will look it up in the Standard Catalog of American Cars and see what it says.

Ray

3. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The flathead six is a good motor. Lots of guys are using them and even hopping them up. For regular street use they are great as long as you don't expect to pull wheelies lol. Parts are available cheap and they are an easy engine to rebuild. In some ways they are better than the same year Chev six (insert bearings and full pressure lubrication) or flathead Ford (not prone to overheating and cracking the block).

See Jay Leno drive his 41 Plymouth Special Deluxe coupe and critique its performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gd5qq9e3apk

4. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

I'd put a Mopar flathead 6 up against any flathead Ford motor on a roadtrip. Follow it up with an OD and good rearend gears and you're good to
    go.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

5. Old Dude

Old Dude

Do you have pictures of it? My first car was a 1941 Ply. & ran decent for stock eng. back in 1955. In todays world they are slow, but it is fun to modify one. I like different. It would run 65 mph all day long, but check Oil when filling up for gas !:)

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The 41s looked a lot like the 46-48 because they used the same body. But the 41 was the last year with running boards.

It may be possible to free up the engine and get it running easier than you think.

7. topless54

topless54

I love everything about that 41 in the vid. That's about the color I'm going to go w/.

I started messing w/ this motor yesterday. It's had water sitting around the spark plugs, and one plug is broken off which has allowed water to get in the motor for who knows how long. I would consider it parts at best if I were selling it to somebody and maybe they would get lucky w/ a good block.

Hnstray-PM sent. Thanks.

8. ezrods

ezrods

I love my flathead six, It is light and gets good mileage. My V8 sux, it makes the car hard to steer because of the heavy weight and it gets terrible gas mileage.

9. George

George

OK, well now we'll get back to hot roddin', There's plenty of Threads on putting 318s in 46-8 Plyms, pretty much the same for the 41s. Also Threads on updating the front suspensions.

10. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I call BS! Iv've pulled more then a few Mopar flathead 6 motors out of cars. Light weight is the last thing they are. The flathead 6 and its original 3 speed trans weighed about 100 lbs more then the Mopar 360 with the big 727 transmission weighed.
    I don't know what V8 you installed, or how it was put in the car, but if the V8 made it hard to steer, your V8 weighs over 650 lbs.
    Terrible gas mileage? Does that have anything to do with the way your driving you car? Above all that, his flathead 6 is junk, so the car will be getting something else.

I happen to like the Dodge 3.9 V6 in my 48 Plymouth coupe. Gets good mileage (around 20 mpg, if I drive sensible, whatever that means.) Gene

11. I agree with 50dodge4x4. The 340 in my 47 gets better gas mileage than my 2002 Ram truck with the tiny 3.7 v6, as long as I keep my foot out of it.

12. BettyBlue

BettyBlue

I put a 472 cadillac in a 41 Plymouth (now belongs to BloodyKnuckles), which is he pulling and going back to a flattie 6 and I went with a hopped up flattie instead of the hemi in my 34 Plymouth. 80 MPH all day long (with 4speed OD, split manifolds and dual carbs), all while getting 26+ mpg.