Register now to get rid of these ads!

OCCA XXXI Great Labor Day Cruise 2013

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigDogSS, Aug 6, 2013.

1. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

This is the 31st year for the Great Labor Day Cruise. Located at the Orange County Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa, CA. The great thing about this show is you get to cruise your car and when you want to take a break, you can sit back and watch other people cruising their rides!! WAAAY more fun that just a static car show. I think there is a science term for this --> "Cars MOVING and in MOTION tend to stay more fun" or something like that!!!:D

Who's going??

More info: http://www.occa-inc.com

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I will be there spectating, haven't missed it in years. My favorite show all year. We usually go out for Sat evening cruise.

3. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Daily bump....BUMP!!

4. Been to EVERY ONE so won't miss this one either, even though it seems to be shrinking each year ......

5. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Yeah , good time with good friends . Since the fairground has been remodeled and the camping area in the tree section was removed , this event seems to be searching for an idenity .

6. grease4life

grease4life

Thanks for the reminder. We'll be there!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. 62RagtopNova

62RagtopNova

It was a can't miss for us for years camping and all. I was even lucky enough to win a couple of awards. The plaques are on my office wall. Unfortunately it is also on a weekend where too many other things intruded so we have gotten away from it. Another issue is the "Cruise for a Cure" is only a couple of weeks later at the same venue and it has kind of dwarfed the Labor Day Cruise.

I had some great times there.

8. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Yes, attendance went down for a few years. Show management issues and the economy, IMO. Actually attendance has been on the upswing the last couple of years. Improved management, slight show reorganization means things are improving. They have a give-away car again this year.

For me, I did camp for several years and it was a blast. The last 5-6 years, I've just been as a 1 day spectator because child's sports commitments. This year, I' back to camping!! The atmosphere is very relaxed and family friendly

This show has one thing that no other offers: Cruising from morning until long after dark!! And the camping facilities are top-notch...probably the best in the country for a car show. You can camp right on the cruise lane, typically motorhomes and trailers (very few tent campers, and they are usually off the cruise lane) This is awesome....I don't know of any other car show that offers this.

Definitely my favorite car show of the year.

Great Labor Day Cruise and Cruisin' for a Cure --> Similar but different. They can coexist --> I'm attending both!!
    GLDC: 2½ days of cruising all day and night + camping right on the cruising lane, pre-1978 cars.
    CFAC: 1 day of cruising, ending at 5:00PM, open to all cars. Be prepared to see a lot PT Cruisers, Civics and Minis!!

Route 66 Rendezvous in San Bernardino --> cancelled for 2013. Maybe those here who attended that show will come Great Labor Day Cruise to get their cruise on!!

Come on out and have a great time!!!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  9. I gave up my camping spot for this year. It just hasn't been the same for the past few years for what ever reason. And like I said before, I've been to EVERY one of them.

I was also a vendor for a few years, but after run ins with Ruby who ran the vendor area I quit that - I don't need to pay a bunch of money to get yelled at by some old broad who was wrong in the first place - glad she's gone. And speaking of vendors, I think that is one of the attractions they have lost. I can remember days when the indoor building was full with TCI, Boyds, California Custom Roadsters, and many other big name companies that had something worthwhile to show and purchase.

I continue to go, and will I'm sure for years to come, but it just doesn't hold the same attraction that it did for years. i also miss the old outdoor concert stage where they would have some name performers on Saturday Night and we would party on the hill and even par the cars like a drive in movie setting. I realize that is the fault of the fairgrounds not the OCCA, but it is still missed. The last few years the entertainment has pretty much sucked

10. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

First bump of the week -----> BUMP!!

Oh, and I hope everyone has a great day!!

11. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

End of week bump -----> BUMP-o-rama!!!

Only two weeks left until Labor Day!!!!

Everybody have a great weekend!!!

12. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Beginning of the week bump --- BUMP!!

Have a great week, everybody!!

13. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Hi All,
    Less than one week away!!! Bump!!

14. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

I'll be there been camping for years. Yes it has changed and attendance has been down from years past but still a good weekend. It's all what you make of it. Ill have the 41 out there and bringing a stock 26 model T. We will be SETI g up on Thursday. Stop by and have a cold drink of choice, introduce yourself!

15. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

miss that show a lot,been a few years ,but always a lot of nice cars and car guys.got a couple of awards myself......good show

16. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Hi All,
    Bump!! Campers move in today!!

17. The 29 RPU that I built (see the last issue of Rod & Custom, it's the green one with the Pinto 4 banger) is moving in today to be in the painters booth.
    I'll be there Saturday in my 37 Coupe - not camping next to you this year Ramrod2624

18. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

19. YEP, attendance seemed down a little (although the OCCA says it was up), and I'm sure the high heat and Humidity were partly to blame, but over all I had a good time - always do. I'm sure I'll be at the 32nd as well, haven't missed one yet .....

20. cool37

cool37
    from SoCal

I agree hotroddon...I'll keep going until they kick us out.