Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heating springs

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model citizen, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Model citizen

Model citizen
    from California

Ok so I'm trying to lower this car that I'm flipping and te front is down but the back has stock springs, so I'm going to heat them to lower them, the only problem is that I don't know how to get them even on each side when I'm heating them. Does anyone know any old timer tricks or methods?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. set blocks under the body/frame where you want it to sit. heat the springs until the body rests on the blocks then let them cool. make sure the blocks are the same height side to side and front to back.

3. MRpants

MRpants
    from pea ridge

Cut. Don't heat.

4. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

What makes you think the potential buyer wants heated springs? You said you are "flipping" the car. Flip it don't butcher it.

5. Jims35

Jims35

:eek:__To begin with i would never heat springs again. I did it to the front of a 56 fairlane in 1958 , I was a stupid kid back then. But it's your vehical so the way i did it was to put a two bumper jacks in front and drop it until the car was resting on them, then let it cool down.:D

6. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

It has been said before, needs to be said again. Don't heat the springs, cut them.

7. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

^^ x2>>>>>> don't heat

8. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Agreed -
    Cut them, DON'T heat them.

Beside, the "resting on blocks" method won't work well...!
    When the car/chassis is "resting" on the blocks, it's almost impossible to know exactly where the car will end up...!
    You have to heat till the chassis is "just" above the blocks so you can actually measure where the chassis will sit..!

Heating and "not" damage the ride quality is all but impossible...

Mike

9. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

We dont even know what type car or springs the OP is talking about, He might be doing this for leaf springs.

10. Jims35

Jims35

I have seen the rear leaf springs on a 46 chevy heated on both ends of both springs until they looked like a W from the side. One broke with a car load of teenagers in it traveling at the speed limit , wrecked and hurt a few of them.
    So don't heat , cut coils and remove a few leafs if you can't afford to have it done right .As teenagers in the 1950s and 60s we did a lot of things on the cheap that i would never recommend doing.:)

11. Model citizen

Model citizen
    from California

I can't cut them because they are small on each end and get bigger in the middle, and I don't have the money to buy new springs so I'm going to have to heat them

12. fsae0607

fsae0607

Don't heat your springs. You will ruin the temper and end up with cracks and spring failure. Cut them instead.

13. It's your car so don't listen to the voices of reason,,you will end up spending money you don't have to replace the springs after you heat them.

They will lose the temper and keep compressing,,but do it your way and then come back and tell us how great it worked!:rolleyes: HRP

14. Model citizen

Model citizen
    from California

Thanks for you great advice!!'

15. terryble

terryble
    from canada

Why not save all the drama and speculation and tell us what kind, year stc. the car is and you will get an intelligent good answer here there are literally millions of years of experience here and when given all the information that brain trust will give a good answer.

16. peter schmidt

peter schmidt
    from maryland

What kind of car is it there's lots of cars that use the springs that get smaller on each end go to the junkyard and find some shorter ones from a similar weight car soon jeeps chevelles ect use springs like that and some imports also

17. Deuces

Deuces

I think he's gonna do it...:eek:
    It's your funeral...:rolleyes:
    Or maybe the guy buying your car... How sad!..:(

18. fsae0607

fsae0607

Experience is the best teacher, they say :rolleyes:

19. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat. Don't Heat.

20. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

That was my first thought when I read his post.:eek:

21. fridaynitedrags

fridaynitedrags

OMG, he IS talking about leaf springs!!:eek:

22. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

GO to your local auto parts store. ASK the counterman to see their Moog Coil Spring Catalog. SIT on the stool at the uncrowded end of the counter. LOOK up your car's application. WRITE down the part number and the specifications. GO to the index and find the location of the specifications list in the back of the book. FIND your car's part number under the appropriate spring style. Look up and down the list to find a spring with the same or close spring rate, wire size, but a shorter overall length. ORDER the springs from the counterman. They are not as expensive as you might think, probably $65-125 per pair. Don't heat springs, use your head.

23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You do know that insurance companies have accident investigators, and that you'd could be sitting in front of a dude with a wooden hammer, facing a bodily injury or wrongful death lawsuit, right?

24. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Great advice!

25. the dude only has 3 posts and they are all in this thread. seems like he may have created an account just to start stuff. and he still could be talking about coils. some coils are smaller on each end.

but incase this is real. i agree with everyone else. dont cut them and risk someone elses life since you are flipping the car.

26. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

What #19 said !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK

27. Model citizen

Model citizen
    from California

It's a 69 Chevelle, and I don't have the $$$ for new ones, and I'm not talking about leaf springs because chevelles don't have leaf springs

28. You're flipping it , just sell it like it is , not heated , not cut , not fkd . No Problem.

29. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How is lowering the car going to enhance the value? Heating springs, while common, is the wrong way to do it, from an engineering, safety and longevity standpoint. Knowing that, why would someone want to buy a car this way?

I am going to go ahead and assume that you do not have a wholesalers license, dealer license, B.A.R. license, are not an LLP (or LLP), and are not carrying an insurance policy for this business.

No offense, but as a business owner who has to obtain and maintain all of the above, plus a lawyer on retainer, to protect my interests, I have to say that this is a bit worrisome.

If you understood the proper method of doing this, and the ramifications of doing it wrong, you would not be here asking these questions. You seem intent on going forward anyway. Just remember, the liability for any mistakes that you make, and the outcome, rests solely on you. Luck is not a business model, and failing to fail is not the same as success.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  30. Jedidiah

Jedidiah
    from Ft Worth

As almost everyone else here has mentioned, don't heat the springs. Something you could do is go to the building supply, get several bags of sand and just set them in the trunk. That way you can get the ride height that you want and keep the car safe. Then if the new owner don't like it he can take them back out. Nothing will be hurt. I went to high school with a kid that did that to his car and it worked fine.