Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need chevy 250 input

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shocker998md, Aug 5, 2013.

1. shocker998md

shocker998md

I cannot believe im saying this, at least its a buddys truck and not mine. I do not know chevy engines at all. Im a ford guy. Long story short im helping a buddy with a 250 that is in a pickup. I cleaned the points, static timed it, cleaned the plugs and gapped them. Static timed it and checked the fuel pump. I got it fired up, set inital timing to 4* BTDC.

So far it runs good. I plan on rebuilding the carb, its a 1 barrel monjet that has some funky stuff going on with it. I need to do some googling on it to rebuild it and set it up.

So questions, is HEI worth the upgrade? Im thinking just send the OEM dizzy to GMC BUBBA and have a stock build and re curve.

Is the 1 barrel monojet worth a shit? I dont want to waste time and money in a kit if its really a crappy carb. Im confused with the idle adjust on it, there is some kind of wire going to the back of what you adjust for idle? Pics will come if im really way off.

My game plan on it will be fire it up again, change the oil and do a compression check with it warm. It was at 175 PSI 1-4 and 140 on 5 and 6. Those number may change after a check with the engine warm, the engine sat up for about five years or so.

So heres my questions:
    1. HEI worht it or stay with stock rebuilt dizzy?
    2. Mono jet carb worth rebuilding and keeping?
    3. Trying to find the cheapest dual outlet header since the manifold is cracked bad.
    4. Any input you would like to give

Thanks guys!

2. Keep

Keep

I would look at the Pertronix upgrade for the distributor. You can keep the stock cap but lose the points.

Cannot help with the rest of your questions.

3. I was very happy with the chevy HEI distributor I used in my '68, 292. Bought it from U-pull-it for 25 bux and the engine ran a lot smoother.

4. alot of people that i know switch to the HEI distributor to get away from the points ( but keep it, dont know if you ll need it again )

mono jet is a good carb but people like converting them to a two barrel ( can buy a adapter for it ) or even a 4 bbl ( which is a completely different intake )

pm sent with some details ....

5. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

Go with the HEI, the original distributor housings ate bushings fast and you lose your points gap. I believe that condition would also screw up a petronix pick up. The Mono-jet carb is OK, throw a kit in it and it should be fine. The actuator with a wire coming off it is an idle "kicker", I believe you can do away with that and be OK unless that is the only way to set curb idle speed. Then you will want to leave it just don't plug it in to anything. Turn the whole thing to adjust idle. It takes a 12v. signal to make it move. As best as I recall it would drop off at key off to help eliminate run on when you shut off the engine. Normal Norman

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having run a point distributor in a 250 that had well over 150K on it I'd suggest rebuilding the carb first and getting it running as well as you can before hunting down and putting in an HEI. I think you will notice a big jump in ease of starting after you do plus maybe a bit better gas mileage but do things one step at a time so you can sort out any issues at one step at a time. The difference in compression between cylinders sounds like a lot but I'd run it a hundred miles or so and run another compression test to make sure of exactly what it after everything frees up a bit.

7. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I have run Chevy six cylinders for over 25 years. They have come along way since the "babbit pounders".

The 250 is a great motor. You can go mild to wild or an every day reliable street motor to a 9 second 1/4 miler! I assumed you want a reliable street cruiser with some zip and reliability.

Here's what to do on a reasonable budget;

1. Get a Pertronics Ignitor II for your stock distributor. (Mini HEI if you want)
    2. Get cast Stovebolt headers
    3. Get an Offy 2- 2 barrel intake or 1- 4 barrel intake
    4. Fresh tune up
    5. new cam if you want a balanced motor.

The secret is simple, more spark, more fuel/air, better timing and better flow through the exhaust always equals a great running motor.

Go to http://www.stoveboltengineco.com for all of your parts. Talk to Tom Langdon and tell him what you are trying to accomplish and that "RapRap" sent you. He will set you up and walk you through the process like know body else and at the best prices too!

Let me know if you have any problems.

Rap Rap