Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with hurst trivfive shifter in '60 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by highlander1732, Aug 4, 2013.

1. highlander1732

highlander1732

thanks in advance. My '60 Biscayne was converted from a three-on-the-tree to a four speed long before I became the the current custodian. Trans and shifter function properly, but the hurst shifter is fitted with the "trifive" style shifter handle that is not interchangeable like other hurst units. As a result, the knob is a bit too far away to use comfortably. I think I am going to cut the rod off flush with the mount, cut a small section off and weld it to the old stub. Then I am thinking I can drill two holes in the new section and mount a more usable shift rod? Has anyone else run into a similar issue? Of course, I'm going to do this while everything is mounted in the car with carpet, seat, etc. A potentially horrendous result, but maybe better than swapping out shifters which is a real pain in the ass. Any thoughts or insight would be appreciated before I embark on this lunatic trip would be helpful!

2. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Why not just get the right Hurst shifter for the car much easer

3. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Any chance of just bending the shifter?

4. phat rat

phat rat

Welding new arm on. Hmmm!! Lets see. Having sparks and heat with carpet, upholstery, paint, etc. recipe for fire and loosing car. Changing shifter for correct one. Stated as "pain in the ass" result, correct shifter and no chance of fire. Sounds like a "no brainer" So what's your choice?

5. willys1

willys1
    from South Ga

Is the shifter handle a push in style? any pics?

6. shemp

shemp
    Alliance Vendor

The '65-66 Bench seat shifter for Impalas works perfect. I ran one in my '59 El Camino.

Attached Files:

7. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Thats the shifter I have in my 62 Impala made a mount to put it on a Hurst shifter love it

8. Thats a pretty tough cookie to cut and drill the shift lever - especially in the car :rolleyes:.

It will take hardened bits to do the drilling and some serious cutting tool (more than a good cutoff wheel) to cut the shifter.At least a torch to bend the handle.

The reason that I know is that I did some serious hacking on several Hurst units in my attempts to get a shifter in my T Bird.

I think you would be better off to change the shifter.

Its going to at least have to come out to attempt the modification.If I had to remove it - I would replace it with the correct unit if one exists.

Oldmics