Register now to get rid of these ads!

HVLP Paint Gun questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Asphalt Angel, Jul 31, 2013.

1. I have been using an older Sharp SGF HVLP spray gun for about 10 years. I got it second hand from a guy who had trouble getting it to work-so I dont know how old it is or what is was worth new. After I cleaned it up and changed the fluid tip-it has worked fine for me spraying everything from high fill primer to single stage urethanes,laquer,enamel,etc.
    I am not a pro painter and not doing this everyday or making a living at it so I can't justify spending large for a pro-level gun
    I have not been able to find much info regarding my old Sharp Gun
    I am looking at buying another gun and was offered a Devibiss Finishline 4.
    I understand the Devilbiss is a mid-level gun-just not sure if it is a step up or down from what I am using now.
    I have a dedicated primer gun now
    I need something that is all-purpose for top coats
    So paint guru's whadya think??

2. icsamerica

icsamerica

How much are you paying for the Devibiss Finishline 4? They are 149.00 new at eastwood and they get good reviews. But it looks chinese to me so I wouldnt buy it.

There is really no all purpose gun. You need three guns. One for primers with a 1.7 to 1.9 tip. One for base with a 1.4 to 1.5 tip and one for clear with a 1.3 tip. You should not spray metalics through your clear gun because the matalics wear out the tip after awhile.

I use a Iwata SuperNova for clear and my old reduced pressure VX929 for base. The suprenova is very forgiving and makes me look better than I am when clearing. I have a 4CR primer gun which is made in Germany and I paid 70$ for it on ebay becasue its unknown but it puts the primer down so flat I've saved alot in sand paper. I prever to spray metalics through an RP because for me they are more consistant than the HLVP.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  3. It is a kit with 3 fluid tips and a pressure regulator for under $200(new)

4. I can't share any experience with the FLG4 spraying base or clear, but I've been using the 1.8 / 2.2 FLG4 primer gun for a couple of years now. I've been very happy with the gun .. atomizes great for primer and even though it sucks up a bit more air (13cfm) than my 60gal compressor can maintain for long periods, it works just fine for the job size and speed that I spray (slow poke). I use an old Sharpe Platinum for base and clear.

5. choppachris

choppachris

I've had good experience with DeVilbiss, if you get it for a good price with all 3 tips you'll be happy. I've used $17 gravity feed guns from HF and there's not a huge difference between el cheapo and my high price Accuspray guns.. A good quality gun will lay paint down smoother and with less air, but most of all it just feels good to own.

6. So where does my old Sharp FLG gun fall in the 'pecking order'?
    Was it considered a decent gun in it's day?
    It is the only gun I've used-other than a cheap primer gun(junk)-so I have nothing to really compare it to.

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Unless your old Sharp is worn out, I don't think you'll notice a big difference between it and the Devilbiss. Both good, older designs.

8. I apologize for my ignorance,but what is a sign the gun is wearing out?
    It seemed to work good the last time I used it. I have a 1.4 and a 2.3 tip for it. I havent done anything big with it for a long time. Just wondered if a newer style gun would have better atomization characteristics.

9. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like taste in women among men, professional finishers like certain things unto themselves. I hear that if a SATA was a guy that some painters would turn gay for it. DeVillbiss, same thing. Then there were all kinds of off brand guns that copied the same gig and even their parts can interchange with one another. I had a MAC cheapo that would take Sharpe parts. Since the switch to "4 to 1" clears I always had issues with the last coat. Lay it on nice, it hit the floor, be careful, rough finish and too much sanding. Fuckin HATED painting (I actually still do). The I grabbed an Iwata LPH 400. No problems since unless I fuck up. Some hate it. Prior to the Iwata I was all DeVillbiss type MBC. Some have said that's why I like my Iwata. I know I get less dust on the floor and more material on the car. They can all be good guns, just get what fits you best. I'd think if you're asking you want something new for a reason?

11. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

I have a Sharpe SGF 98 hvlp w/ a 1.8 tip it sprays great.I sprayed base thru it.no problems.

12. These are good points. I am doing a complete paint job in single stage urethane-and this would be the first complete I've done with something glossy.The other complete jobs have been satin finish. I have spent a lot of time with a sanding block these last few months getting this thing straight. So before I spent a lot of dough on material,I want to make sure I've eliminated the 'tool' from the equation.

13. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Verry true thehighlander... I use a devilbiss for base and a sata rp for clear. That's what works for me but for the price my post above is the best gun for the money and they last! I spray 5- 6 days a week and got about two years out of it before I had to rebuild it. I swear by it.

14. Snopek-That Tekna is a great looking gun-I just want to stay with an HVLP-I don't have a booth and have to keep the overspray to a minimum.

15. greg

greg

I need the same answer.

I have a hvlp that came from the local auto part/paint store. It was no name, and under 130.00. I am not a pro, by a long shot.
    I have sprayed primer, bass, and clear with this gun. Have sprayed 2 dashes, firewalls, under the car, and door jams.

Everything to me seems to have turned out fine. The main difference I have seen, is when I used the high dollar Dupont base clear, it seems to just lay out better.

I just cant see 500-600 in a gun. But like you, My old gun is getting where it doesnt do quite as good, so I want a new one for the next time I spray.

Maybe a 500$ gun will last 5 times longer than a $100 gun, but I dont use one that much.

16. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

ok im going to get technical with this HVLP stuff. HVLP is high volume low pressure and the EPA rule states that any gun sprayed in a booth or not has to be "HVLP compliant" all that means is you have to spray the TEKNA at 22psi max and that technically makes it a HVLP gun because of the low pressure its sprayed at. i spray base coat at 18-20psi not because its the law but because i found that gun sprays the best that way. why they make "HE" guns and do not label them HVLP i do not have a answer nore does the internet. everyones guess is that its a gun that glasses out paint for those old timers with out the HVLP tag and it can still be sprayed with high pressure and look good if thats what you were used to back then not like a normal HVLP gun. i painted my 62 f-100 with my tekna in my garage just to say my truck was garage built. no i dont work for tekna, im only saying this as a person passionate of their trade and im proud to spray a TEKNA every day. hope this helps

17. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

Maybe a 500$ gun will last 5 times longer than a $100 gun, but I dont use one that much.

a lot more then that! like i said i spray 5-6 days a week and a gun will last me for 2 years. so if my gun coust $400 i spray 5 days a week for 2 years i used my gun 520 days if my math is right. so each time i use my gun it only cost me $0.76. thats pretty good if you ask me!

18. you can still buy sharps...around 300 dollars..nice guns...devilbiss does a good job....Sata is awesome...it were me.,,id buy best I can afford...Sata.RP..reduced pressure....
    much like hvlp..but does not need volume of air hvlp does...your looking at about 600-700 dollars........

19. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

I have a sata rp and i love it! but that gun was made for clear coats. It dosent spray base that nice. I only use mine for clear. If you can afford two guns the rp is a obvious second pick for me.

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm a big fan of resale and pawn shops. I hit em on a whim mostly, because if you look too seriously they typically have nothing. That said, on whim I walked into a local place and there was an HVLP gun on the shelf for $10. I said to the guy, "I'll give ya $5.00, and at that I may be throwing it away. Ya know anything about this?" "No, but for 5 bucks it's yours." Has a 1.7 tip/cap, cleaned it out thoroughly, and it's a damn good primer gun for $5.00 (!). Just used it Fri and those 3 coats of surfacer will sand out nice and easy with little to no peel. All it says is "HVLP" in acid etch lettering, and (I think) H828 in a box cast in the grip. Looks like a generic gun that takes the same parts as other generics, but for $5.00? Who wouldn't do that?

21. purp47

purp47

If you want to get a good hvlp gun at a great price go to eastwood they have a multi gun kit for around $150. it comes with a full size gun and an extra nozzle and rod and a small touch up gun they are made by devilbriss I have used them in my shop for over ten years.they spray awsome real user friendly. Iv'e sprayed with dollar store specials to the most expensive guns money can buy.can't tell the differance between the two. I think the part number you want is 12005.

22. '48IHC

'48IHC

SATA all the way. I have a sata 3000b for base and a sata 4000rp for clear. Very very nice guns and last forever as long as you keep em clean. Definitely worth the money. Be very hesitant on used guns unless you know the person selling it very well, unless you plan on rebuilding it anyway or using it as a primer gun like the highlander said.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

23. c6_rob

c6_rob

+1 for Tekna

I have the limited purple gun. Made in UK, quality gun.