Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1956 oldsmobile restoration

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobalt333, Jul 29, 2013.

1. a convert! nice post pictures...would love to see them:D

2. other side before after

Attached Files:

3. more before afters

Attached Files:

4. front floor boards only had a few patches needed

Attached Files:

5. sand blasting with a spot blaster...the key to the car that was lost that i found in the dash with abunch of coors can openers..window stickers..original door panel...another rust hole welded

Attached Files:

6. odds and ends and the lady and her son i bought it from in rock river wyoming and my son at the wheel

Attached Files:

7. original condition....:eek:

Attached Files:

8. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

It looks like that big old project is in the right hands.

9. amazing what a guy can do when he has a bunch of time and patience...did i mention time;).....

10. el_bole

el_bole

Im really starting to love OLDS! 56' is a great model...Great work....Look forward to new updates....Keep it up

11. 73super

73super

She's a beauty.. but my word.. what do people think when they put aftermarket wheels on there that just don't do the car justice... I'm sure you can sell those to some 70's aficionado who has a van he's restoring. :D

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  12. 73super

73super

I just saw a pic of that 8-track tape player! That is cool! Never seen one like that before. Sell that (unless you want to keep it) to somebody who's going to restore it.. very nice piece. I know.. I'm weird that way..

13. yah there was alot of 70's funk going on my car..thats when it got parked in a field..im pretty sure the guy that parked it for good got out of it wearing bell bottoms with a fro and side burns and got his eight track out of kc and the sunshine band or frampton..ps i already killed one of the rims...when i tryed to take one off i had to drill around the lug stud cuz the lug nut broke off...they are those long reach lugs..frozen tight..i know its a shame...they are grooooovy..

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  14. a long 2 weeks of under the car cleaning..sucks when you dont have a lift and you end up being a mole...or is it a troll....heres the before and afters

Attached Files:

15. morrrrrre

Attached Files:

16. amazing what ya come up with when your poor and doing a car...paid 12-15 bucks for this at home depot for a gallon...i am verrrrry happy at the results..it bonded well with the 1956 olds tar that was already there...

Attached Files:

17. the tools i used to clean the tar and rust off the entire underside..went through about 5 wire wheels...small screw drivers chip the old under coating tar thats brittle off good...although i should have got a longer flat head on too..

Attached Files:

18. Wow, you're doing some amazing work!

19. Oldsmobucket

Oldsmobucket

Man that looks killer!

20. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

looks good man, love them 56 oldsmobiles...............john

21. thanks everyone...i also for got..i used this too...its slow going but it worked in tight areas where the wire wheel wouldnt go...just a heads up..when you get one make 2 modifications to it and get a line water filter..search it on the web or i can take pics of what i did..it stopped the surging problems

Attached Files:

22. thanks...heres some pics of what i started out with...ps the rubber bumper stop for the rear..all i had to do was take it out scrub it with soap and water then let armorall soak in and they were good to go...

Attached Files:

23. Rckt98

Rckt98

I can't believe you are doing that without using a hoist. Looks good. I guess you have youth on your side.
    Following this thread with much interest.
    Russell

24. Awesome job! That lady is in good hands!

25. yes youth is fading fast..im 46 and while i was pulling myself to and fro under the car i was thinking..uuhh i dont think i will be doing this when i cant put on my socks..but i did find out how dirty you can get and how to get things that are outta reach with a swish of a electrical cord..oh and my kids thought their dad was only legs..because thats all they seen night after night sticking out...:I

26. Rckt98

Rckt98

This way might be more work long term but easier on the body not having to drag myself under the car.

Attached Files:

27. NICE....i love it...so thats what it looks like standing up :)

28. Wow the clean up works looks great, did you use a 3M stripping pad as well? And did you really put tar underneath? I never would have though of that. A tip I got from another thread was to use roofing valley sealer (tarry black sticky rubbery goo attached to thick aluminum foil avalable in rolls at Lowes) in place of Dynamat on the inside

29. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Great work and awesome car!

30. yep i used it because i had built our house three years ago and had to seal the basement foundation and i remember it being the same as the original tar coating that came back in 1956...at least very close...so i got a gallon and a set of dollar store paint brushes..and went to town...course before i did i scrubbed the old tar to get more of the dirt and grime off...it just made everything clean and black and only cost about 15 a gallon...and trust me i has leftovers..even though no one sees it..i know the underside is perfect...ps i seen that roll stuff on ebay to for sound deadner..but i just might epoxy prime then paint and then paint on more of the sealer i have inside..i will never ever have to worry about my floors rusting out :)