Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 1953 Bel Air for the family.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike6Kerns, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Mike6Kerns

Mike6Kerns

My boys and I just picked up a 53 Bel Air for a family ride. Plans are to turn it into a 50's style tail dragger. Got the motor mounts to install a built 283 and now on the hunt for a trans. So the 115hp 235 with powerglide will come out and be will be for sale. Not sure if the power steering will stay. Will cross that when we get to it. We got the interior out and started with some stripping. May bag the front but the rear is going to happen.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks like a good starting place. Are you leaving the patina?

3. ems customer service

ems customer service

Kool ride, have fun

the ems guy

4. Mike6Kerns

Mike6Kerns

Mitchell---Right Arm!:cool:

Now with all the shows and swap meets coming up, Finding time for it will be later.
    :D

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Moose's use the word "Firme":eek:
    To the OP: That's a Firme ride, man.

6. Mike6Kerns

Mike6Kerns

47Ply----been thinking about it. Not real sure yet. May wipe it more with some eco stripper from Next. That way it will smooth out the cracks in the paint. Did a test and found that it's the original paint on it.;)

7. Mike6Kerns

Mike6Kerns

Right Arm is something we say here in NC for Right On!!! Didn't think FIRME was bad at all.

8. Mike6Kerns

Mike6Kerns

Well, been pretty busy with my boy and his broken arm, Grandma visiting, and life's everyday. Finally got something started with the 53. Here are some pic's of my three day's of work.:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. snailhouse_projects

snailhouse_projects

Looks like fun! I wish I had the time and money to put together a 53-54 belair....soon enough I will have one when I finish up the new Yorker cause my son is determined to drive it to school!

10. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

A fine start you have there.

11. Mike6Kerns

Mike6Kerns

Well been busy cleaning the frame and front suspension parts. Removing the undercoating was a pain. Had to use a scaler, aircraft stripper, and glass media to get it all off. Got the frame in black primer and waiting on the notch for it. Got the front parts cleaned and painted. The undercoating was even worse here. Once cleaned, I painted it with Hammered Silver paint. Got my parts from Kanter to rebuild the front and ran into an issue with the upper inner control arm shafts. They install easy from the front but will not start into the back bushing. Does this mean I need to replace the bushings?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]