Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mondello olds bad service

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jabberwoki, Jul 31, 2013.

1. jabberwoki

jabberwoki
    from puyallup

Anybody had any experience with Mondello olds?
    A mate of mine has been waiting for 18 months for his motor to be done, they keep coming up with bs excuses for the delay.
    I was wondering if anybody has had the same experience.

2. 18 months? Wow, I'm just curious.....how long did they say it'd be when your friend sent it there?

3. Red71

Red71
    from Illi-noise

if its the shop in California .... good luck !
    Joe moved his shop to Tennessee ,thats the one to deal with

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Another reason to build your own. Lippy

5. That's more than enough time for Hell to freeze over,,sounds like incompetence to me. HRP

6. mechanic58

mechanic58

I suspect there is more to this story. That doesn't even make sense.

7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Maybe thay are waiting for an answer from the grave.

8. biscaynes

biscaynes

18 months?? sounds like he dropped it off at a body shop.

9. jkeesey

jkeesey

I never understand this long wait for rebuilds, all the engines I have rebuilt take less than a month.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Never had an engine built by Mondello but have bought a lot of parts from them and called them numerous times for advice, which they always gave freely and expertly. I think I have dealt with Lynn there, at least that is the name I remember. All our dealings have been first rate.

Something is really wrong if it is taking this long, as you say. Not doubting your word, but there are always two sides to every story.

Don

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  11. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

It wasn't Larry Mondello....was it...lol

[​IMG]

12. jesse1980

jesse1980

Are you sure your friend doesn't owe them any money?!

13. jabberwoki

jabberwoki
    from puyallup

Well in stead of me translating the story I`ve encouraged my mate so sign up and tell his side. So we`ll see.

14. I thought Joe closed his shop in Paso Robles, having moved up from SoCal. Then, I think I heard that he had died.

If it's true (that Mondello has died), I would think your friend should check to see if there has been a transition of sorts; or, if, on the other hand, the business is being administrated by a trustee or executor of Mondello's Estate. If the latter is true, your friend should get on the list of creditors.

15. Jcox68rt

Jcox68rt

Mondello is right around the corner. Lynn is the owner. They are first rate. I would like your mate to call em and sort this out. Like everybody has said, there is always two sides. Lynn has been the sole owner for about ten years or so when Mondello retired. They were partners before that. It hasn't changed hands recently.

16. Weasel

Weasel

Joe Mondello died on April 6th 2011 so this whole saga is long after he passed and it would never have taken eighteen months for a rebuild under his watch. He moved from Paso Robles to Johnson City Tennessee in 2008 I seem to recall. Not only was he a legendary engine builder and drag racer, but he was also a gourmet chef - passionate about cooking. Just want to set the record straight.

Encouraging some one to sign up on the Hamb specifically to air their grievances does not seem to be a very positive move, even if their story is true....

17. k9racer

k9racer

Thank you Mr. Weasel for posting this info. You beat me to it.....Joe and his crew did some head work on my Buick project. He passed away soon after that. Joe did several things for me in the past. Always on time with quality work. The price was a little high compared to other shops but the work is that much better.. As a investegator for the police asked me one time " Are you sure" that it was not some one passing them self of as Mr Mondello and ripping your mate off????

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  18. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Or the chrome plater !!!:D

19. That's FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (but true)

20. Swede64

Swede64

Check some Olds forums and you will discover lots of horror stories about Mondellos i CA.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

I've been an Olds enthusiast for over 30 years. After Lynn took over, the California business went South. The Tennessee side is the one to deal with and is still in business, although not as big as before, since Joe passed.

22. krooser

krooser

I second or third the comment about poor service from the "new" Mondello's... lots of pissed off Olds guys on many boards...

23. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

The horror stories I have read and heard about (over and over and over, I might add), apparently involved Lynn. I personally haven't had personal experience with Lynn. But I have read about many bad dealings allegedly involving him.

Joe himself seems to have had a MUCH better reputation from what I can determine.