Register now to get rid of these ads!

where to find some larger shank tie rod ends 0.702"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoggyrubber, Jul 24, 2013.

1. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

i am looking for replacement tie rod ends for a 30 hudson front end. it looks like a 7 deg taper but larger than a older ford or any of the latter hudson shanks. the ford and hudson ones totally bottom out. i hate to ask about something that should be easy to find, but i am having a harder time than i thought. it seems my local parts shops don't stock anything much from the 60's on back so i can't have them pull out stuff to try. what they did pull out was metric thread and wrong taper. they don't even carry stuff for 60's chevy trucks they said!
    i would really like to get something cheap, $50 and up kinda makes me unhappy. the hole in the steering arm is about 0.702 tapered down to 0.612 and it's 3/4" thick. i don't want to go to heim joints because i hate to drill out the hole as i couldn't use ball joints again. i was thinking maybea 3/4 ton truck but i don't want to buy something just to try it.
    the only other thing i can think of is weld in a piece and buy a reamer and ream it to smaller ford size. anyone have any ideas of something that might work?

2. look in a Moog catalog....in the back they list tie rod ends by size

or as you said you could machine a spacer

3. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

sounds like a good idea! i will give it a try, thank you.

4. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

thanks again 36-3window. i found one that will work perfect in the moog catalog. didn't break the bank either. i can even use the tie rod sleeve ends off of my 52 hornet parts car and don't have to buy a lh tap.