Register now to get rid of these ads!

why won't my engine start?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56PontiacPiano, Jul 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Newbie here so no h8 pls.
    I have the 56 Pontiac, stock engine. New spark plugs, new alternator, and it used to start up just fine. The my battery died. I didn't start it for about 3 or 4 weeks. Got a new battery, everything works...except now the engine won't start. Before, it started up right away, which is funny for sitting since 1978. The previous owner got it running, then i bought it. Saw them drive it right into my driveway. From then on, I started the engine about once a day, she always started up right away.
    I put a new battery in, made very good connections on both terminals, put a little new gas in the tank, i degreased the engine compartment multiple times, and I sprayed a little starter fluid in the carb last night and this morning.
    Pumped the pedal a couple times, tried to start. She cranks strong but no start. What could be the problem? Also, don't know if this is important but I hear a little whine sound. Probably just the alternator belt which I have to tighten still. but it started up before just fine, even on the almost dead battery....

2. Are you getting any spark? HRP

3. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Will it start with a little gas down the carb? If not check for spark.

4. kracker36

kracker36

Turn on the key and check the coil for fire with a test light. If it does, then pull a plug and see if there is spark to the plug.

5. For learning purposes let's assume that my coil doesn't read anything on the test light, and or there is no spark to the new plugs. What would I do then?

6. brad chevy

brad chevy

When you degreased the engine you did cover the distributor didn't you.

7. kracker36

kracker36

No spark to the coil could be a result of a loose wire / bad connection in the key switch.

8. That's my question too.

9. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, pull the distributor cap off and wipe it out with toilet paper. Maybe even put a hair blower to the cap and the guts of the distributor for a minute or two. Put it back together, then try it.

10. Take off the distributor cap and let it dry out. Spray some WD-40 in there, also.

11. bgaro

bgaro

can only be two things, no spark, or no gas. figure that out first.

12. I stayed away from the distributor and other electrical parts with the hose and spray. even if I did hit it, it was such a time ago that it should have dried by now. Had the engine compartment open to the sunlight multiple times as well. I feel so embarrassed asking but, how do I test for a spark?

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also, never leave your key on while it's not running. If you have, while the cap is off, check to see that the points still have good springiness and snap back into position after pulling on them...gently.

14. 63comet

63comet

My no start routine.....

Doesn't spin? Check wires, solenoid, starter.

Doesn't go bang? Check fuel. Does it rumble on a spritz if starter fluid or some gas down the carb? Auto chokes will drive you mad if they're not flip flopping as they should.

Spark? I start at the plugs and go from there. How worn is this engine? Two or three fouled plugs can be enough to keep a car from starting easily. I've had points wear to the stage that the car will run but is a bitch to start. Also when you get to the swapping parts part of diagnosing its easier to start with the cheaper parts.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Word for word what I was going to say. When you washed down the engine compartment you probably got condensation inside the distributor cap.

Pull the cap off and flip it over and you will probably see moisture. Do as Carl suggested and spray WD-40 in the cap and swirl it around and dump it out (no need to take the wires off) and do it again and then wipe the cap out with a clean paper towel and put it back on. Check the plug wires going into the cap for moisture and spray with WD-40 and wipe down if needed and it should fire up.

16. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't be embarrassed...gotta start somewhere. We were all without experience at one time.

Doesn't matter that you didn't spray the distributor directly. Pull the cap and dry it out.

Then go from there.

17. If you soaked every thing you may need to dry out the distributor.

This is a simple fix that works more often than not,,,,try pulling distributor cap plug wire,,stick a screwdriver in the hole and hold the boot wire next to the screwdriver just far enough to get a spark,,then let someone spin the engine.

If you get a spark put everything back as it was and it should crank,,if not you need to find the reason you don't have spark. HRP

18. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A little compressed air to blow out dirt and moisture and the fuzzies from the toilet paper/paper towel wouldn't hurt either.

19. bgaro

bgaro

pull of a plug wire, shove a weel insulated screw driver in the end. while holding the plastic handle of the screw driver hold the shaft about an eighth inch from any grounded metal surface, have someone crank it over. you should see the spark jump. don't get bit........i think theres a tool for it, if yur yella.

20. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Pull off a spark plug wire, find a good ground, lick your fingers..:D

21. Okay I will do that with the distributor cap.

22. Dang ole yella bellies I tell you hwhat
    Yes I am one. :p I always think the worst will happen because of stupid mistakes I've made, such as, oh say plugging in a 80 year old radio that hasn't powered on in at least 60 years and almost setting the house on fire. :D

23. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

might check for loose wires on coil. may have blew a loose wire connection off the coil. also ,you did cover the carb? it's something simple. either bad wiring or moisture.

24. We've all made stupid mistakes. The key is to learn from them, which it sounds like you have. There is nothing wrong with being cautious especially when you are dealing with something that you are not all the knowledgeable about.

Do what the fellas above suggested with regards to the distrubutor and cap. I'll bet that your problem. It sounds like no spark. Especially if it was running a couple of days ago and considering the fact that you gave it a shot of starting fluid down the carb and you still getting nothing, it's gotta be moisture in the cap, I'll bet.

No one is born knowing about this stuff. We all had to learn. There are lots of folks here willing to try to help you out as long as YOU have the proper attitude, which I think you do.

25. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

If it is the points, do yourself a favor and stick some electronic points/pertronix in there. While your at it change the cap and wires (if u didn't already)

26. 57countrysedan

57countrysedan
    from NY

Maybe u flooded it? U said u used starter fluid and gave it a few pumps. Maybe thats it. Does it try at all to start or just cranks away? If its trying hold your foot to the floor maybe itll just clear out

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Will clean out the distributor cap, no way I flooded it...even if I did I opened the choke multiple times. All the spark plugs are brand new, as well as the battery, I made a new connection so the terminals are solid, the alternator is new as well. Praying it's just the distributor cap being moist and not the starter solenoid or some other crap...

28. Go check it and report back. HRP

29. verde742

verde742

I only learn from my non- successes,
    tell us how you resolved it...was it condensations? ( my bet )

30. refried confusion

refried confusion

did you leave the key on and burn the points/ weaken the spring? why did the battery die?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.