Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Stromberg 3 duce set up on a flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tom1000, Mar 17, 2013.

1. tom1000

tom1000
    from Houston TX

Just put my car back on the road after a new engine swap. I'm running 3 Stromberg duces on an Offenhauser intake manifold.
    Problem is that when it's hot the 1st carb (closest to the radiator) will spew gasoline and flood the motor, especially if I'm making a right hand turn. The float level looks good. I have an electric fuel pump. I've installed phenolic spacers between the carbs and the very hot intake manifold. Which helped a little.
    It only does it when it's hot. I also tried a cardboard heat shield between the carburator and the alternator, that also helped but did not cure the proplem.

Thanks
    t

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. R Pope

R Pope

First guess would be too much fuel pressure.

3. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

or a hole in the float. I had a problem with fuel coming out of the accelerator pump hole. It took a while before the float finally just sank. Only had the carb on for like 8 months.

4. do you have a fuel pressure regulator on the gas line? HRP

5. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Yes
    Check the float … stick it in nearly boiling water and watch for bubbles.
    If none id lower the level a bit.

May try swapping the seat to another carb also

6. tom1000

tom1000
    from Houston TX

What fuel pressure should I be running?
    The Strombergs are new not original old ones.

7. 2 1/2 to 5 lbs,,,not too much. HRP

8. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

2-3 lbs is best, any more than that and you will likely have problems.

9. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Over 3 pounds will cause issues. It'll still run, but not good. I was ready to shit can my 6x2 Stromberg setup until I got a REAL fuel regulator on the car.

Makes no sense that only the front one is acting crazy. Swap the front one to another spot and see if the problem continues. Sounds like the float to me (as mentioned above).

10. tom1000

tom1000
    from Houston TX

Thanks Everyone. I've ordered a 2.5 lb fuel regulator. Turns out I'm having the same issue with the rear carb too. When it got hot enough the rear one acted up. Keep you posted.

11. 36tbird

36tbird

Beware, just because you put a regulator on it, you may still have problems. Do a search here and the Fordbarn to read up on it. Those pressure regulators will change on you. I keep my allen head and 5/8's wrench handy when I go on a long trip. You can tell when they are going lean by watching the temp gauge.

12. customrod48

customrod48

ditto what 36bird said.....I run a regulalor with gage on my flatty with 2 stromburgs, run 1 1/2 to 2 lbs max with no problems. Never had problems with flooding or starving.......Regulators will wander.............

13. nifty

nifty
    from UK

This may sound odd but what fuel block are you running? a friend had a two carb manifold and with a regulator set up before the fuel block at 2.5lb he still managed to get an uneven pressure to both of the carbs. I have seen people run individual regulators to each carb off of the fuel block. You could initially set up 3 cheap fuel pressure guages to see if there is any variance across the bank of 3.

14. 36tbird

36tbird

We're not talking about uneven pressure. We're saying that the pressure will wander. I've set my pressure at about 3 lbs. and it will occasionally wander lower. I've seen it go as low as 1/2 lb.

15. Not a bad idea to get a quality regulator while you are at it. I've seen some of the cheap ones vary a ton on pressure while in use.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Swapping the front one for the rear as noted above is a good diagnostic, worth trying.
    Remember that there isn't a correct float setting for a 97...neither Ford nor Stromberg offered one...because they are so sensitive to pressure. Original specs were for FUEL level, easy to check on your rig because of the electric pump. Still somewhat scary, but you need to measure fuel level per specs with the thing running or at least with fuel pump running and lid off. If you do it pump only, draw fuel out of bowl with a syringe or via plugs and see how it fills, repeatedly.

Now...if level is not the prob, possible concerns: No mention of fan, but I assume there is one. Fan and/or moving air as you drive can pressurize Stromberg bowl a bit, richening the mixture...the vent slot is on front. Your cardboard may have functioned as a windscreen rather than heat shield...
    and of course you have the forward water outlets, perhaps supporting heat theory. Standoff shields of thin metal could be hung there on the hose clamps.
    On the heat..."very hot manifold"...consider loosening the manifold bolts and sliding a slice of beer can aluminum in at the center on each side to blocl off the heat stove for a test drive. You may find you do not need the added heat and that it is helping cook things off.

17. tom1000

tom1000
    from Houston TX

I got fuel Pressure!!
    Installed a fuel pressure regulator, 2.5lbs. Cured everything like magic. Thanks everyone!!

18. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, 3 psi with Strombergs......and that applies to the new ones as well.

4TTRUK

19. As for the spacers that we have all used over the years, I recently changed to the Cool Carb ones from Dennis in PA. Made a big difference in the Edelbrock on our 350. He makes them now for the Stromberg bases. He has done temp tests on carbs with and without the Cool Carb spacers. Amazing temp differnce on his Ford, something like a 100 degree drop between the intake and the carb. FWIW.

20. BLAKE

BLAKE

Awesome... gotta love these success stories!

21. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

To those guys with "wandering" fuel pressure: Beware that some of the small liquid-filled pressure gauges are badly affected by heat. The liquid inside expands and causes the needle to drop, often to zero.

Perform this test: If your gauge has a rubber plug and the gauge drops while the engine/fuel pump is running, lift the rubber plug enough to vent the gauge and watch the gauge rise.

22. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

Ive got a 2 carb set up and need a fuel regulator. Problem is all the ones I found are 4 pounds and up. Where can I find a 2 1/2 psi regulator and who sells it?

23. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Holley makes low pressure and high pressure regulators. Try Jegs or Summit.

24. woodypecker

woodypecker

I love threads with answers. To explore further did the pressure go up hot or was it flooding slightly all of time and the engine just handeled it cold.

25. 1941coupe

1941coupe

had the same problem , replaced the needle and seat with new style grose valve problem solved,got mine from baxter ford

26. mprice

mprice
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Washington

I run 1.5 lbs on 4 strombergs 392 Hemi and no leaks or fuel shortage.

27. Glad to hear it,,now about your spelling,,,DEUCE not duce.:D HRP

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

beat me to it...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. I guess it's just a pet peeve with both of us!:D HRP