Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features My barn find 57 Fairlane

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junior58, Jun 12, 2013.

1. junior58

junior58

It needed some pretty serious washing when it was found, paint not mint but nicely patina'd (just the way it's going to stay).

2. junior58

junior58

Dropped the trans out today to fix the leak, replaced the front seal, threw it all back together only to have it leak exactly the same as it was. Have since found out that the torque convertor has gasket between two halves (wondered what all those bolts were for, lol), and that it may be leaking between there (not used to these old fangled things that you can pull apart and fix). So trans to come out again, next week. Off to the pub now to contemplate.

3. ridesrodsandribs

ridesrodsandribs
    from Canton, OK

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

On a positive note...they always come out easier on the 2nd or 3rd attempt:D

5. junior58

junior58

Oh that's encouraging, haha. I'll try not to have a 3rd try

6. Scumdog

Scumdog

Love '57s - and love the four-door hard-top:cool: (In fact the ONLY four-door style I really like.)

Gona be at the Beach Hop next year in the '57?:D

7. junior58

junior58

Now that I'm back in a car again, I plan to do as much as I can, Beach Hop included.

8. junior58

junior58

Ran through the valve clearances today (been a while but some things you never forget), they were all over the planet (some tight, some loose), now runs like a swiss watch. Starts nicely, idles perfectly and now responds sharply. Very happy.

9. Felis

Felis

Great car! I really love it!

10. sweet '57 there Steve ,

if that ol 312 has been parked forever it may be worth checking that it's getting plenty of oil up around the rockers when it's running . Y blocks can be a little like a geriatric drunk with a prostate problem when it comes to rocker oiling!

But that said I wouldn't part with either of ours ( 272 Ford and 368 Lincoln ) .

11. junior58

junior58

When the motor was unfrozen, one of the jobs was stripping and cleaning the rocker shafts and making sure they were working OK. I guess when he put it back together he didn't go through and set the clearances.
    I love my 312, it's there to stay. I also had a 272 in a 34 sedan I had, and my 56 Mainline ran its original 272.

12. Infectious things arn't they ? :) I remember your mainline , lets hope it still wears the same paint, RIP Flamez .

13. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Very nice find indeed.
    As others have said, the '57 Fords as well as the '56 Chevy's are definitely in a class all by themselves when it comes to 4 door hardtops (as well as a few others)
    Good for you..

14. junior58

junior58

Finally got a day warm enough to cruise with all the windows down, dontcha just love hardtops? Well, I do anyway.

Attached Files:

15. spuds

spuds
    from Idaho

She`s a beauty nice job..

16. Moosejuice

Moosejuice

Very nice find, looks like you are going to enjoy just cruising her around..

17. OldColt

OldColt

Nice Fairlane. I thought the '57 Fairlanes were the best looking cars on the road (longer,lower, and sleeker than even the '57 Chevy's). When dad brought home a new Ford dealer brochure in 57 I was thrilled. My parents wanted a wagon, and I wanted them to buy a 2 door hardtop. They bought a loaded red and white 2 door wagon with the largest available V8 (292 or 312?).
    That car was really sharp, and really pushed you back in the seat when dad floored it. I really grew to love it, because I got to ride in the back of it on vacations. :)

--- Steve ---

18. junior58

junior58

I would have loved to grow up cruising in the back of a 57 wagon, especially 312 powered.

19. junior58

junior58

Just gave Victoria some new make up

Attached Files:

20. slammed

slammed

Nice, tight lines.

21. Redlighting

Redlighting
    from Tn

22. VERY nice! Enjoy it!