Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

JUst finished my reciprocating hammer and power bead roller bead roller.jpg
    HAve also built my own disc sander.

2. mgermca

mgermca

Hey those look realllly nice, got more pics of them?

3. Wardog

Wardog

Yeah, more pics please. Especialy of the hammer.

4. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

power hammer.jpg

grinders.jpg
    found the better photo and one of the grinder

5. Joyer

Joyer
    from Ohio

@nxcess: Holy crap those are good. I just made a bead roller and had a heck of a time figuring out how to power it exactly (besides hand powered) but I pretty much see what you did there. Very nice. Mine is powered by a Pipe threader, hooked to a router speed control, hooked to a momentary foot pedal, chain driven. I've got a lot of power and a perfect rpm range (1-10). The one down fall of my set up is that thing is so loud you can't hear yourself think! Mine ain't near as purdy as those though. Awesome job!:D

6. onemintcaddy

onemintcaddy

Now this is the Cats Ass Hay !!!!
    Nice job Man. Now I can dig out that table saw and off set it's footprint it makes in the shop. MINT !

Attached Files:

7. Nxcess is your bead roller anchored to the floor ?

8. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

Just a few of the wrenches that needed customizing for working on the Diamond T 201. The result of a low production run by an independent builder using components manufactured by other companies is that the Diamond T's do not have very thorough engineering. Most of the bolts are in awkward places, and you have to cut up most of your wrenches to work on one of these trucks.

[​IMG]

9. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

Yes, it is bolted to the floor. It will pivot around by loosening three set screws.

10. Thanks it looks very clean

11. neatoldclassics

neatoldclassics
    from Montana

Here's my version of the shrinker stretcher...I used a bunch of old wrenches for the linkage...had fun making it...

Attached Files:

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

Now THAT is a piece of Art work too ! ^^^^^ Well done!

13. jkherd

jkherd

:) I like it!

14. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Nothing earth shattering here, but I made these adjustable sand boards for block sanding larger low to med crown panels. One is 24" long and the other is 36" long. I used 1/4" x 3" aluminum flat stock milled down to 2 3/4" wide, to take the sticky back paper. Someone prob makes something similar, but I like home made. :)

Attached Files:

15. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

That's a great idea....thanks

16. chrisp

chrisp

Did you add some kind of padding between the aluminum and sanding paper?
    I would think that the edges would tend to dig in paint and filler.
    Anyway those are great.

17. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

No, I didn't add a pad, although they would probably be better with one. I just put a couple layers of green masking tape on prior to sticking on the paper. I haven't had a problem with digging in. You will quickly get the feel of the drag on the board when blocking in a criss cross pattern and the handles allow you to keep the leading edge from dragging, going away from you and coming back to you as well. I use these on the body filler and primer as well. Thanks for the comments.

18. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I needed a bullseye pick and I didn't want to spend 150 on one, so I made one outta scrap I had around the garage.

Sent from my LG-P769 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

Attached Files:

19. budd

budd

i have a factory made pantograph flame cutter, i can also use my machine plasma torch on it, it sure is handy, i have used it to make header flanges a few times, the exhaust holes are cut first with the flange cut last, worked great, your next step is to install some stepper motors and go cnc

20. @budd I can also use my plasma on it as well. It only takes a minute to change from oxy to plasma or visa-versa. CNC would be good...but I am happy with the end result. I will use it for cutting various patterns for various jobs. It is probably the best tool I have made over the years. The only thing I will do extra is get another motor for speed as the 1 I have got runs at 7.5rpm. It will be ok for thicker material when the need arises.

Thankyou for your comments.

Mtw fdu.

21. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

Years ago while building a 1957 DeSoto and repop floor pans were just not available I decided to make my own, but I didnt want just flat steel because that is flimsy so I got creative. I took a large sack and filled it with lead shot and laid it on the floor or the bench...I marked my lines on the steel where I wanted the beads, set that area on top of the bag of lead shot and took a ball peen hammer with the round end on the steel I whacked the flat end with a dead blow hammer, it created a nice round divot and I just continued whacking the ball peen hammer until I had the desired length bead. It was crude but effective, and a technique I still use to this day.

Jon

22. budd

budd

heres a couple pics of a header flange pattern, the small squares in the middle i go around the outside, then finish the flange by going around the inside of the outside pattern, my wheel is 1/2" dia so i allow for the wheel and the kerf of the cut, they turned out really nice. i have built a 8ft by 4 ft cnc table but i just do not have the room yet to set it up.

Attached Files:

23. @budd Now you are giving me ideas of what I can do with mine. The possibilities are endless. Cheers for showing the pics.

My table is very small. It is only 1 metre x 1 metre square...still big enough for what I need.

The way I would cut the same would be to use a metal gasket to fit the appropriate flange...they are slightly smaller than the flange itself thus making the flange to the same size after cutting. Using the metal gasket as a pattern.

Mtw fdu.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  24. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

It only took a few minutes to assemble this hub puller for a Diamond T.

[​IMG]

25. budd

budd

what i did was to draw the cast iron exhaust manifold's outer shape plus about 5mm extra, then draw the cylinder head exhaust openings plus the material thickness of the new header tubing, that way the tube to flange welds end up on the head side and the openings will match the heads, i also cut my own gaskets.

26. Very cool!!! :cool::cool:

Mtw fdu.

27. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

This just sucks!
    I hate cleaning up the Bridgeport and lathe, a chip brush and a pan, spend more time cleaning up than making the mess!. Well I had to do something. So 1st version worked but the smaller diameter hoses clogged with swarfs, so made version 3 (version 2 doesn't fit any hoses???? note to self don't ask the kid to measure if you want it done right!)
    Used a 6 gallon bucket to hold more, added a 3/8" plywood board to stiffen the top. Use a bucket that had liquids in it as some dry goods do not have a seal for the lid. Fittings are glued together and silicone sealed.

The hoses are different than pvc pipe fitting so made a adapter

Ver3adapters01.jpg

my take on a baffle to keep junk out of the shop vac

version3inside1.jpg

elbow is trash inlet, center is to the vacuum

version3inside2.jpg

shop vac is a Sear/Craftsman from the mid 70's with a paper filter

ver3setup.jpg

1st time cleaning out the separator, about 2 gallons of swarfs and crap.

version31stcleanout01.jpg

only dust and some light foam crap made it to the filter, even though I knocked it over while it was running a few times

version31stcleanout02.jpg

This works, I don't see the need to make a cyclone separator, the baffle does fine keeping the swarfs from piercing the filter. This may ruin my image as a slob but it is sure nice to have a clean mill and lathes! Takes less time to clean as it does to make the mess! Such a simple thing to keep from blowing a filter! Yes I've blown two filters with that vac, one cleaning old oil furnace that I was halfway inside and the little old lady that owned the home had to poked me with a broom stick. The other was cleaning a coke machine using CO2 on one side, vac is one the other side. Yep it blew the filter again and the little old lady that owned the tavern had to poked me with a broom stick! I wish I had made this years ago!
    So listen to that great American philosopher Jerome Curley Howard "Keep on sucking til success!"