Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What was your best experience with a famous vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by evs1, Aug 24, 2012.

1. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

Superprojoe,,, whats the story behind your avatar??? I love it ! 2 of my favorite things in one picture

2. HighSpeed LowDrag

HighSpeed LowDrag
    from Houston

I touched a space shuttle once.

3. mkilger

mkilger
    BANNED

got to work on caddzilla while at boyds, the old Berry lobeck 32 sedan delivery at my shop and restoring my dads car the Gator just a few

4. papa29

papa29

I attended the Rodder's Journal Revival and spent a lot of time with Jack and Kathy Stirnemann with there stunningly restored Walker Morrison 32 Roadster. Sunday at the close of the event Jack and Kathy insisted on having me ride in the roadster with Jack and helped them load it into the trailer. What great people they are and the car should have won 1st place at Pebble Beach.

5. papa29

papa29

I attended the Rodder's Journal Revival and spent a lot of time with Jack and Kathy Stirnemann with there stunningly restored Walker Morrison 32 Roadster. Sunday at the close of the event Jack and Kathy insisted on having me ride in the roadster with Jack and helped them load it into the trailer. What great people they are and the car should have won 1st place at Pebble Beach.

6. japar

japar
    from Seekonk Ma

I used to work for Ted Leonard did restoration work on his cars and while I was working on the Great Gatsby Rolls I got to meet Robert Redford. Few automobiles have ever had a legitimate co-starring role in a Hollywood film, let alone in an all-star production like Paramount’s The Great Gatsby. It embodies the style, grace and presence that characterizes F. Scott Fitzgerald’s classic book, a perennial on every list of candidates for “the great American novel.” Ted Leonard’s 1928 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Brewster Ascot Sport Phaeton is one of the great American classics, built in Springfield, Massachusetts, bodied in Long Island City, New York, owned by a passionate enthusiast from Seekonk, Massachusetts and a co-star in the cinema re-creation of the great American novel.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  7. Deuces

Deuces

I saw the Monkee Mobile today on the way home from work... It was heading north on Merriman Rd. in Livonia Michigan... Sorry, but no pics...:eek:

8. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

I worked at a Chevron station in Upland, CA next to the San Bernadino Fwy just down the road from the Winternationals and Ontario Motor Speedway during the 1970s.
    One day I noticed a race car on a trailer on the last drive. The man wanted me to pump just enough gas so he could check the specific gravity of Chevron Supreme gasoline with a tool he had.
    I thought I recognized him at the time but later I saw his picture in a magazine-Dick Landy.

9. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

That's great, Funnycar...When I was 15, Spence Murray and a couple of R&C guys were pushing the R&C Dream truck into the Santa Clara Autorama, (1957) and recruited me to help push and wipe the body down from the rain!

10. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

When I saw Cam Grants Desoto powered highboy at the Tri-Five picnic about twenty years ago I tried to mount it, but he sprayed me with a hose, and said "not on the first date"...:(

11. ironpile

ironpile

I dont remember the name of the car but I had a bubbletop 58 Chevy parked in my garage overnite.It was supposed to have been built by George Barris and was owned by a local resident.Also I was in the garage where the Triet and Davenport lsr liner was being built.If anyone has looked at the articles on this forum you will see the quality of it.It is shooting for 550 mph.I will be rooting for it when it makes an attempt.

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Actually, being around since '54 as a "smart kid", according to various older members of the Igniters & Hernando's Racing Team, I was 'allowed' to flex my skills on some really cool cars in those early days...The famous 'Alky Wagon', (formerly known as "The Hangover") got to re-jet the 4 97s between races at San Jose Drags. My little hands removed #s 2 & 3 carbs, changing jets on #1 & 4 on the car: #s 2 & 3 got changed on the tailgate of Al's pickup!
    I used to steer it back to the pits on the return strip, sometimes nerfed by the famous Babe's Muffler Shop full kustom F-1.
    (Babe had me move it in the pits one Sunday, when I was 13)

When Harrah's collection was 'thinned out' the James Dean Merc was at Street Rods West for some repairs. Brian called me, and had me take the Merc to my shop (a mile away in Campbell) to replace the clutch.
    I got a clutch disc & pressure plate, replaced the T/O brg. on the sleeve, and resurfaced the flywheel...
    While picking up the flywheel, I stopped at Westgate shopping center for a red windbreaker. Hair was dark brown then, so I slicked it back, put on the red jacket and my shades and went to deliver the Merc.
    Brian and a couple of guys were standing in front of the shop...I drove right up to 'em, stopped in the drive, pointed down the long row of shops...I had the window down, and in James Dean 'stammer', asked: "W-w-what way to the high school?"
    They all laughed, one pointed down Winchester Blvd; "That way!" Brian pointed at the sky..."Thatta way!"
    In true James Dean (Jim Stark?) fashion, I revved the old flathead and slipped, then dumped the clutch. "Screeeeeeech!" Big 8 foot patch, just like in the movie.
    Brian was jumping up and down, holding his head..."NOOOOOO!!!"
    I cooled it, and turned around and parked.
    He laughed, and said "I know if you busted that tranny you have the parts to fix it!"

It was great...Brian drove me back to the shop in Magoo's old black '29 Roadster he had bought.
    Happened every day, that shit. Never had to take pictures... (wish I had!!!)

13. No pics? ... I am sure you know what I am thinking. Lol

14. I get to "dice" with a well driven (by Peter Giddings) 1931 Alfa Romeo P-3 Gran Prix car. The Alfa, part of the team Scuderia Ferrari, had been driven by Tazio Nuvolari, the then world champion.
    Below, is Giddings going inside my car, into the final turn (11) at Laguna Seca. Giddings and I, and about twenty others, will be running in the Prewar Group at next month's Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion. The great part of the deal is, that I get to hear the beautiful noise of the Alfa's exhaust note as I follow, or am passed by Peter.

[​IMG]

15. Wildfire

Wildfire

My wife and I sat in a Batmobile from the Michael Keaton era. I believe I was drinking a Hurricane at the time... It was at a friends place during a party. What else are you going to do?

16. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

A close freind of mine designed the Vectors body.I knew him for ten years before it came up that he did this. He passed away a while back.

17. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I saw the Ed Roth Mega Cycle at the Hutchinson ,Kansas State Fair in 1967 when it was first out.I fell in love with that car ,constantly thought about it and always wondered where it was. A couple years ago I saw it was being restored by Fritz Schenk in Kansas City so I call him to ask if I could come there and see it. He said come on up so I did. When I got there I expected to see it in a whole new way as an older adult ,maybe less excited or something but when he opened the trailer,I was a kid again.I mean totally out of reality. At that moment I realized that car had a way bigger impact on me than I even knew.

18. 59KUSTOM

59KUSTOM

Seeing The Aztec, at Lead East, with restoration just begun & then, a few years later, restored to it's original glory.

19. I have pics taken with myself and the Batmobile, the Roach Coach, and with Barbara Bach and the General Lee. Seeing these two pieces of rolling sculpture in person last week made my day...

Attached Files:

20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Was paid to build the "SHOWBOAT" clone

Attached Files:

21. johnny_rocket88

johnny_rocket88

guy in fargo bought suzzane summers t bird

22. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

5 years old and getting to climb my butt into the General Lee at the "Stars and Cars Custom Auto Show" at the height of the Dukes of Hazzard hoopla. it was just cool as a little kid who played the "Dukes" all the time.

23. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

I drove "Cadzilla" around the block once. Back when I was a pup, I helped mix the fuel up in Chris Karamecines dragster. He says "Grab that axle and shake it up". We did and apparently he's still doing it at age 82 (or so).

24. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Memphis nats in '75, I'm checking out the cars in our hotel lot and see Buttera's Cad T. I stroll up and start checking it out, as I had just built the model! Mr. Buttera offers me up a kit from the rear seat and I respectfully decline, telling him that I already have it and just finished it recently. Wouldn't I like to have it now, directly from his talented hands, you betcha!! Anyway, he says " well if you don't want the kit, how about a quick ride around the hotel"? " Are you kidding, yes" I blurt out. Been a fan of his ever since. Oh, also saw Elvis that weekend on our trip over to Graceland. Can't remember which I was most excited about. Both were high points in my young life and still are!