Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Is there a service available that documents a car's history?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

My son is interested in buying a 62 Caddy that was owned by a friend of mine that passed away recently. He was wondering about the history of the car from new. How can you do this?

Our DMV will not give out information for previous owners etc. How do these big time muscle car guys track all this info down?

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Connections.

3. Easy. They lie:D

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

This car is not a super rare car etc. He is just interested in who bought it new. He's intrigued with the history.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Private detective?

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Contact the manufacturer. They can tell you which dealership received it. The dealer might be able to tell you who bought it, if they held onto their records. It's a long-shot though.

7. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Sounds like good ol' detective work to me. Start with previous owner and work backwards.
    In CA if an old vehicle was always tagged there's a list of owners going back to the beginning.
    If the DMV didn't want to give me this info I'd start a lien sale and during that process the DMV has to give you all owners of record in order for you to contact each one.
    If unorthodox at least I'm thinking outside the box.
    Lien sales are done ALL the time. Every tow yard, storage yard, etc goes through this process constantly.
    I once owned a 1939 Ford panel truck that I thought might have been a military ambulance.
    Four years later I had a confirmation on that.
    It wasn't easy.
    If the car was bought locally was it serviced at the dealer or at a service station or both?
    Does the glove box or door pillar show names of these entities?
    I worked for a family that had run the same Chevron station starting 1958. My boss could tell you what each customer drove where they lived and what they did for a living going back to 1958!
    If this all sounds like too much work I agree. But you could follow leads if you wanted.
    I don't know of any other way...
    My 2 cents. Don

8. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Chrysler Historical Service has a service for a fee, where they will trace back your car's serial number and tell you where it was assembled when, where and when it was shipped to a dealer. Perhaps GM offers the same service.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks. I may be able to get some info from the previous owner. Dave bought the car about 6 months before he passed. The car came from the Tulsa area. Lots of old money up there.

10. Laughing my ASS off!!!!

Because this man is correct; on the money; absolutely clued into the truth!!!

Want more??

Ask any Harley owner how reliable is his bike.

Ask any Hot Rodder how his car handles.

Ask any teenager how well they text and drive.

Ask anybody about their fuel mileage.

They ALL lie!! Praise Carl for the TRUTH!!

Cosmo

P.S. You need to purchase only one-owner cars. Fewer lies, AND you know the OEM liar.

11. Unfortunately, other than Corvette and GM of Canada they don't have the complete records and don't allow public inquiries. I think Smog Guy has the best suggestions, a lot of work and time consuming but you can make the search fun.

12. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

13. Roothawg

Roothawg

Those guys would be outside our house with torches if they knew what he had in mind for the Caddy....those types are purists.:eek:

14. Airwolf

Airwolf

Even on some of the older Vette's you're out of luck. Some fire in St. Louis took out the repository on them.

15. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

The NICB, also known as the National Insurance Crime Burau, is a division of the FBI. They are the ones that handle grand theft auto. With a VIN number, the NICB search can tell you the entire history of a car from new. That's how the Corvette guys do it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Oh sure. I'm certain that the FBI will, gladly, share this info with you, if you ask nice.:rolleyes:
    You're saying that the FBI keeps track of every owner of every car in the US?????

17. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Georgia offers a service through the tag department to tell the history. It tells when and to whom it was registered. Only goes back so far but still I was able to learn some good info on my car. Only cost 5.00 also. Not sure if your state will do the same but you could check.

18. NICB is not part of the FBI. It's an organization that works As a go between law enforcement and the insurance companies. They can track registration and title history of a vehicle.

19. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

OK, this site makes you learn things and see things you probably wouldn't otherwise.
    I googled NICB.
    BAM!
    It's a free service, you just punch in VIN.
    However, it's only for vehicles that were reported stolen or reported a total loss. No doubt part of the Car Fax report.
    Unless this Cad was stolen or really wrecked, I don't think this will help.
    However, I will forever check this site from now on!

20. You just have to pretend to be a restorer until you get the info that you want. I know that you are honest Root but if you PM me the info I will join and be dishonest for you. ;)

21. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

I cannot believe that the guy who makes repro trim tags would actually make a tag for say, a rare Hemi car so someone could put it on a body that wasnt a rare hemi car.....could this actually happen in the USA?

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Carl always tells the truth.

23. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Oh, hell no.

24. Wrong, a lien sale will not give you all the past owners of record only the last reg owners and any sales if not completed since last owner.

Incorrect Internet info again.

Carfax is a joke and won't do anything on a car that old.

25. Recent activity with the DMV has changed the way I do title transfers... I had quite a stack of paper work that came with a purchased car .. ..80 YEAR old titles ,bill of sales , cab cards, and other bits and pieces what I would call historical papers ... when transfering the title I laid ot my"CAR FACTS" proudly and asked for the transfer .."Thanks " the DMV said gathering up all the papers and they walked away ... brought the new paper for me to sign ... okay? Can I have those old papers back now ...." nope " ALL YOU GET IS THE NEW TITLE ....IN THE MAIL... the old stuff is needed to check the records of your VIN......CAN I GET IT BACK WHEN THIS IS DONE ... NOPE

LESSON
    BRING THE HUMAN "SELLER"TO TRANSFER THE TITLE
    PAY FOR DUPLICATE TITLES
    OFFER NO PAPERWORK you want back..
    HANDWRITTEN NOTATION OF OLD EXPIRED PLATE NO.
    or say there was no plate on the car
    SHOW ONLY A PHOTOCOPY OF BILL OF SALE
    PAPER PRINTED PHOTOS OF THE CAR ...YOU DO NOT WANT BACK

the DMV had no idea or will not understand any historical significance of the existing documents ... NO NEED TO LET ANY OF THEM TOUCH THEM EVER

I HAVE OFFERED TO BRING VEHICLES TO ANY PLACE OF THER CHOOSING AT MY EXPENSE TO VERIFY WHAT THEY ARE OR CHECK VIN'S ,VALUE,CONDITION .... THEY DECLINED

please document any previous owners names or addresses at the time of sale .. its tough to do without .. even a scrap of paperwork

26. SMOG_GUY

SMOG_GUY
    from Dinuba

Gotta start with the easy stuff.

27. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  28. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks. This is good info to have.

29. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

The NICB does keep track of every owner and every car in the US. And no, they won't just hand it over to you, like so many other things in life, it's all in who you know.