Register now to get rid of these ads!

Aluminized for patch panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bambbrose, Jul 26, 2013.

1. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

I've got a local source for scrap aluminized 16g and 18g for essentially free, typically 18" x 48" sections cut off of larger full sheets.

Is there any reason NOT to use aluminized for patch panels and sub rails, etc.?

Prep concerns or paint adhesion concerns? I would think that having the interior of the panel aluminized would be a plus.

Welding concerns like galvanized? I assume no toxins as this is what most exhaust piping is. What about welding porosity and cleanliness?

The main uses would be for subrails and small rust patches.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  2. No,galvanized metal produces a toxic gas (Flake)when welding zinc and cadmium is used in galvanized metal,,your lungs will suffer long term effects. HRP

3. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

So you are saying aluminized and galvanized have the same properties when welding? I haven't seen this anywhere else so can others please confirm?

I'm specifically asking about aluminized here

4. Sorry about that,lets blame it on old age :D,the aluminum coating is not toxic but it does need to be ground to help with penetration when welding,,maybe someone else can chime in on how well it works when painting if you intend to use the material for patch panel work

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

I wouldn't take a chance at using them for patch panels, never know what will pop up under a fresh paint job!

6. alchemy

alchemy

You could use it for body panels and grind the alum off the outside after install. For use on subrails I think it would be great. A scuff with 80 grit sandpaper should give it enough tooth for paint to stick, but still have the alum protection on the steel.

7. Drew.Morris

Drew.Morris

Ford uses galvanize for their truck beds with no problems. I think the biggest problem would be paint adherence.

Drew

8. I have had no problem painting galvanized or aluminized. as far as welding I prefer naked steel. I would have no problem using those panels for floors and sub rails

9. bobby_Socks

bobby_Socks
    from ǑǃƕǑ

Yes I agree. I would use also.

10. Terraizer

Terraizer

I use 16 Gauge and 18 Gauge Aluminized steel in patch panels on the Scouts that i do all the time and have never had any problems with paint adhearing to them or problems with them later on. You do need to grind the coating off the area you are going to weld to help with penetration. It does weld a bit like galvanized so you may need to turn the heat up a bit.

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

If it is what they call "aluminum killed" it is the same thing they sell around here for doing body repairs. The coating keeps off rust. No problem with welding or painting.

12. Man,I remember many Ford in the mid 60's with paint peeling on the front fenders,,especially falcons. HRP

13. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

If you get sick from wielding 'galvanized' drank some milk! On galvanized before panting, wash it with 'white vinegar' then pant will stick and not flake off.

14. mickeyc

mickeyc

I thought "aluminum killed" was the process of adding aluminum to the metal while it is in the molten stage to produce certain properties rather than a coating?

15. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

X2 It's not a coating. Welds just fine as is. Might be slightly softer for drastic shaping.

16. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used it for years, never any paint problems.

17. sheesh

sheesh
    from canaduh

Aluminized...
    This is cold rolled steel that has been continuous hot-dip coated with aluminum-silicon alloy. All thicknesses of steel processing receive the same weight of coating. Aluminized steel has the esthetics of aluminum and offers the superior strength and lower cost of steel. Common uses include catalytic converters, industrial exhaust systems, fireplaces, and culverts.

Satincoat
    Also known as Galvanealed material, satin coat steel is galvanized at the mill and then various coatings are applied to convert the galvanizing to zinc-iron alloys. This steel is dull gray in appearance, has no spangle, and is well suited to painting. Common uses include the manufacture of fireplaces, trailers, signs, and housings.

these two things are not the same, if your sure its aluminized just mig it after degreasing, if its satin coat it will be an ugly weld with the typical galvanized froth powder.
    It seems easier to shape because the actual steel is thinner, then its bulked up to gauge with the coating